PDA

View Full Version : Older Classic Donzi's

BLACKIE
05-07-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm considering purchasing an older Donzi (1973). It has an H/M Ford with Volvo outdrive. It's condition looks excellent too. My question to everyone is: How reliable / strong is this engine / outdrive combination? What type of horsepower would a combination like this have? Would you recommend this type of boat or would you be better served to get one with the tried and true chevy mercruser power combination? Any and all comments would be welcome. Thanks!!!

boldts
05-07-2003, 01:49 PM
HrBlack,

The H/M Small Block Ford should be in the 290 plus horse power range. The boat probably has the 250 Volvo drive also. (I had a 1969 18' H/M Classic) The Volvo drive is almost bullet proof although will probably not be the fastest drive available. The other negative about the Volvo is the lack of performance prop availability and you may also not have power trim on that drive. If you have a picture, show us what your looking at. A picture tells a 1000 words.

Some of the MI contingent and I are planning a St.Clair gathering on May 17th. See Events & Gatherings. Come on out and join us. There is a wealth of knowledge with-in this web-site. :)

BLACKIE
05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, actually the boat just came up on this web site for sale. Look at this link:
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000577

This is a really tempting purchase but I want to know what I'm getting into before I make a move.

Thanks!!!!

smoothie
05-07-2003, 03:52 PM
That X boat for $5500.00...I dont think you could wrong.

oldLenny
05-07-2003, 04:31 PM
You can't go wrong with an X boat. They are rare. A hundred and something only ever made over a course of 7 years...

Finding one of those warrants even more...

olredalert
05-07-2003, 05:25 PM
hrblack,

-------Welcome aboard!!!!As Scott said "the volvo is bullet-proof up to a point.By 1973 though the model would have been a 270,however.Not alot of difference,and still no power trim.I know that the X-boat is a good deal but you have a rare 76 flat deck 18 here in the area (greater Detroit) that,although more money, is a cool boat.The reason I like this particular boat is the engine/drive combo (well,color too,orange/white).Its got the four-bolt main 350/TRS merc drive combo.I have one of these and love it.Very heavy-duty.Check it out in the for-sale section.
-------And if you want to meet us Detroit DONZI guys just say the word.You can ride with me if you like.........Bill S......ol red!

Dredgeking
05-07-2003, 05:45 PM
that boat has a 280 drive on it. i spoke with the owner a couple days ago. please buy it so i don't have to.