PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Water Levels

Riley
05-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Just thought I'd check the boards here and see if the low water in the Great Lakes is affecting any boaters besides myself. Up here in the Les Cheneaux Islands the water is a solid foot lower than it was last Fall, and doesn't appear to be rising very much. Right now we are approaching the all-time record levels for low water. Alot of boat houses and docks are sitting high and dry, which is going to make for some very surprised summer tourists. Boating around here this summer is going to be interesting, to say the least!

What are the rest of you boaters seeing in your corner of the Great Lakes?

Dredgeking
05-07-2003, 07:29 AM
my family was originally from De Tour. i used to love going to the antique boat show in hessel. i think i was at the last one in hessel a few years ago and they said they were moving it to cedearville. i hope the water levels come back. we had been doing a lot of dredging the last few years to account the low levels. keep us posted if they come back up.

Riley
05-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Dredgeking, with a name like that you would be a popular man around these parts right now! Actually, our township in all of it's wisdom dredged around the local ramp and dock last winter, but didn't go out far enough into the bay and left a sandbar that must be crossed before hitting the deeper water. Might as well not have dredged at all!

Regarding the Hessel Boat Show, it's still in Hessel. There had been some talk of moving it to Cedarville, but that idea was shot down in a hurry. It's still the biggest event of the summer here in the Les Cheneaux area.

Dredgeking
05-07-2003, 08:28 AM
i'm glad they kept it in hessel. that's where it needs to stay. when is it this year? i'd love to come up, but with angela pregnant it limits where we can go.

if you can please take some pics of the boat show and post them. i'm sure everyone would appreciate them.

Riley
05-07-2003, 08:31 AM
The Hessel Show is usually the second Saturday in August. That's a good idea about the pic's, I'll see what I can do.

tamburello
05-07-2003, 09:08 AM
A few more inches and we'll be at the lowest recorded water level here on Lake Michigan. I keep my boat on its trailer at the yacht club here in Holland on the West coast of Michigan. The boat ramp I lauch from has almost twenty feet more surface out of the water than it did seven years ago. Despite the dredging the shallows come up quickly when you wander outside of the channel markers here on Lake Macatawa. Last year a friend and his bro were driving their Blazer and S-10 under and around docks that used the moor boats but now have less than 2 feet of water under them at best.

- Jeff

Ranman
05-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Glad I enjoy a small boat.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/mh_sc_cl.gif

Sam
05-07-2003, 11:47 AM
I keep my big boat just off the St.Clair river in Algonac Mi, we are down 10" from last fall.

Sam eek! eek!

olredalert
05-07-2003, 01:07 PM
--------I would say its the same as Sam here in East China 10 miles north of Algonac.Rain two nights ago probably brought it up temporarily a couple of inchs,but it will wash thru..........Bill S.....ol red!

RickSE
05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
I know how you guys feel. My lake, Lake Powell, is down 95 feet and it doesn't show any signs of coming up significantly. That's one hell of a lot of water for a lake that's almost 200 miles long and has 2000 miles of shoreline.

RedDog
05-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Plenty of water here on the TN River - wish I could share some. Couple of nights ago I could have launched Genuine Trouble in my basement