PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder question

Darrell
05-06-2003, 05:11 PM
This may be dumb queston, but when I install the depth finder in the metal dash of my ZX, What is the best tool to cut the hole with? I don't want to make a dumb mistake. :o

Thanks;

Darrell

MOP
05-06-2003, 06:10 PM
I know this is the messy way but cutting thin metal with a hole saw is suicide for the dash. Tape the dash with about 6 layers of masking tape mark the location of your cut out carefully, take a a small center punch and punch lightly about 3/16" in from the edge all the way around the inside what needs to be cut out quite close to each other. Use a small drill bit and drill it all the way around drill as straight in as you can, go up a size or two and drill it again staying within your marks, by now you should have it swiss cheezed pretty good. You can either tip the bit back and forth or buy a bit that will cut in any direction. Once the hole is opened up use a rotary stone to bring to size, rotary files jump around to much and may do damage. Go slow take your time it will come out fine.

Air 22
05-06-2003, 06:36 PM
A little easier would be ...go to HomeDepot or Lowes or any harware store and get a specialty drill-bit for cutting holes. They make 1-1/2 in 2in etc I did this for mine and worked fine. You'll find these where you find drill bits. Otherwise use a dremel tool for small holes etc. They make nice smooth edges and cut easily..Good luck...post some picks :D
ps remove the dash pannel 1st if possible ! Or be really careful drilling etc eek!

RickR
05-06-2003, 07:24 PM
When cutting fiberglass with a hole saw, I use masking tape, drill a pilot hole and run the drill backwards.