PDA

View Full Version : mercury lab props

riverrat
10-07-2001, 08:05 AM
read in this month's "Hot Boat" a test using "factory "lab finish props. Does anyone have a good source? I'm looking for a "25 pitch mirage plus.
thanx, the rat.. :D :D

BigGrizzly
10-07-2001, 08:31 AM
You Know I have a real problem when a manufacturer needs to charge extra money to do the prop right the second time.First they charge 400->600 for a prop then 300 to fix it. I tried a lab finished 28 Bravo1 then a 27 turbo and went over 3 mph(gps) faster. I then tried a lab finished Bravo1 26 pitch and still the turbo was faster. This was all the same day and place. Later I tried a turbo Lightning 28 (proto type) and went faster yet. This isn't just my opinion, but others as well. My suggestion is try others before jumping into your wallet.

Randy

GEOO
10-07-2001, 07:39 PM
GOOD Point Randy..
GEOO

riverrat
10-08-2001, 07:50 PM
So Randy, are we to think that a Mercury lab prop is not a good prop? I like the mirage plus I have just fine. I would assume that Mercury has spent many $$ & hours refining the product.I have heard there are more hours involved in making a Lab prop.I'm sure there are other prop makers out there.But that wasn't the question..

the rat :D :D

BigGrizzly
10-08-2001, 10:04 PM
I didn't say it wasn't a good prop. Its not worth the money, buy the prop for 340-> 500 then lab finish it for another 200->300. The M plus is a good prop. May not the best but one of the most expensive. If you want to spend money try a Hydromotive intimitator, it is one of the best props on the market.
Remember Hot boat gets stuff for free, and articals sell mags.
Don't be surprised if you don't get any great speed gains.
I'm trying to save you time and money. Not everybody has the access to a multitude of props like I did. All this summer I was swapping props. I learned alot.
Lab finishing is bluprinting and balancing. Which means to me fixing manufacturing errors. They, in most cases thin the blades to cut through the water easier. Was it too fat to begin with? check for your self. WWW.Mercuryparts.Com. (http://WWW.Mercuryparts.Com.)

Randy

marcdups
10-09-2001, 12:25 AM
A lab finished lab mirage 23 from Mercury, dealer cost is $ 710, would rather have someone with experience with your boat and prop do the work, a lot of prop shops will gurantee their work, whereas mercury will tell you that it is the best they can do!!!! they do not match the prop to the boat, ie; they do not ask for boat weight, hp, rpm's etc, have a good prop shop take care of what you have, my 2 cents!!

Towel Boy!! :rolleyes:

HP 600SC
10-09-2001, 07:36 AM
I know I have tried every prop under the sun
on more Donzi's than you guy's would beleive.
I have always ended up with the Mercury Lab.
And as far as an 18 classic with a 350 Mag.
and a 1:50 final drive ratio....A Mercury
Mirage Plus 25" Lab is the fastest prop.
I tried 9 different prop's on that set up
for a magazine test and that is THE prop
for THAT boat.

riverrat
10-09-2001, 01:42 PM
Thank you Mr. Donzitester, I thought I was on the right track. Check's in the mail. I guess I'll keep'em all guessing on the price.
We would'nt want people to think you sell cheap..

the rat :D :D

Tomahawk
10-11-2001, 05:27 AM
Hey XDT - Last Tango had a different experience with his 2001 Classic 18, Bravo with 1.5:1. Came with a 25" Mirage Plus but wouldn't pull it. He has a different prop now and is much happier. Although, his motor is the new 6.2 and that may be the difference. Let's all get together tomorrow night with a few beers, around the pool, and I'm sure we can find answers to all these prop questions. ;) Looking forward to seeing you and Kathy and all the rest. :cool:

HP 600SC
10-11-2001, 07:36 AM
Tom,
the torque curve is diff. on the 6.2 than
on the 350Mag MPI. I drove Last Tango's 18
at sanford....dont think his 25 mirage Plus
prop was a "LAB" either.
Kathy and I will not be attending the "rally"
this weekend. Hope to see you at Palatka.
Sincerely,
Ted M.