PDA

View Full Version : Avatars?

Formula Jr
10-07-2001, 12:34 AM
Soooooooo Harbormaster. How do these Avatars work? Can we upload custom Gifs someplace? Size requirements?

harbormaster
10-07-2001, 10:09 AM
You don't dissapoint me....
I was playing with this code hack this weekend. You like?
I will install custom ones for 5 bucks.
If it is a supporter who has contributed to the registry I will do theirs for free.
Since you have been a big supporter of the registry send me your 65 x 65 pixel gif file for your person avatar and I will install it at no charge.

If anyone has an idea for others for everyone to use let me know.

Scot

Dr. Dan
10-07-2001, 11:15 AM
Scott, Very Cool, I'll have to dig up a better, summer pic, that one was about this time last year and about 40 degrees outside! Thanks though, ... :D

Moody Blu'
10-07-2001, 09:51 PM
Wow Thanks scot
:D

Shanghied Again
10-08-2001, 05:05 AM
Hi Scot. Can you get a pic of mine in the slot I will e-Mail you a pic but I =think you have the one of my boat hopping a wave
Thanks

Formula Jr
10-08-2001, 05:22 AM
These are really, really, quite sincerely, ultra COOL!

To those not versed in Computer Geek language, the Avatar thingy does need some explanation. An Avatar is a representation of how you want your personality displayed on line. It isn't a signature. It has a deeper meaning than that. Its a face, feeling, Pic, or action that best describes the inner person behind the posts. The term came out of pre-internet BBS chat rooms - mainly Amiga based chat rooms - where your Avatar Pictorally represented you and your demeaner while creating and responding to messages in a subject room. I guess we are using them here in a more static, less dynamic manner, more like a signature, but they should represent more than a pic of your boat, unless of coarse your boat does indeed depict the self you want to present. To make these real Avatars, each member would have to create an individual gif for any "face" they wanted to display and then have that available via menu in the posting page.
Or there could be "Stock" Avatars people could assign as their own in the profile data base. The UBBS software writers were probably aware of this history and thats what the Message Icons were all about - a one size fits all - primitive form of Avatar.

I do so ramble on at times..........

Moody Blu'
10-08-2001, 10:27 AM
Scot, how could I manually install my avatar?
I'll pick out a picture and resize it for the space availible.
I'm just not sure how to put the avatar inplace of the other.

by the way does it have to be a gif? can I save it as a jpeg?

harbormaster
10-08-2001, 10:37 AM
1). It has to be a gif file.

2). It can be no larger than 90x90 pixels.

4). If you update your profile there is a place where you can choose from some pre-made avatars.

3). Custom avatars are available. I have to install custom avatars because it requires admin rights. If you have a custom avatar that you would like to use AND you have supported the Registry anytime in the past please send me your avatar and I will happily install it for you.
If you haven't provided support to the registry and want a custom avatar then at least send me 5 bucks for my time to add the custom file. Thanks

The avatar feature is not a feature of this board software. It was a hack written by someoneelse that I installed.

Please feel free to ask any more questions

Mustang Susie
10-08-2001, 11:16 AM
Well boys... I must admit that I have never heard of an avatar before, but I was MOST pleased when I signed on this morning and saw my little mustang :cool:

Great job Scot!!

Mustang Susie

Crazy Horse
10-08-2001, 11:21 AM
Mustang, The Harbormaster always does a fine job!
Scot thanks for the help on mine too.

Tony
10-08-2001, 11:32 AM
I vote Harbormaster for the "ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR"! I'm lovin the avatars, and, until I decide on a customized, I'm kinda diggin' this one!

Mustang Susie
10-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Well crazyhorse,
You missed a good time at the lake this weekend. Woodsy, Princess Nancy, Ponyboy and I "fancied" it up on Saturday :eek:
The water's a little low. You basically have to jump down about 5 feet from the slip to the boat. Not too tricky until you have a couple of yagers... right Ponyboy?
And what's this that I hear about you misbehaving in Boston last weekend? Are there some stories that we need to hear???
Do we know how many of the "gang" are going to be up for the foliage run? Maybe you can get some pics of the donzigirls in their snow gear :rolleyes:

Mustang Susie

p.s. Tony... I second that motion. We have the best Harbormaster of them all!! :D :D

waleyetwo
10-08-2001, 04:16 PM
i think it's a nice touch.and horseman you missed a good weekend.

Shanghied Again
10-08-2001, 05:59 PM
Scot. You Da Man!! Thanks :D

bverd
10-09-2001, 04:39 PM
Hey Ted... :D I like your avatar. That doesn't look like a 22 ;) ;) http://www.donzi.net/ubb/avatars/avatar7.gif Hope to put a face to a name in Sarasota.

And yes I second the "You da Man" vote for Scot

smokediver
10-09-2001, 05:34 PM
what the heck are you guys talking about?