PDA

View Full Version : Ford "fe" Marine expert wanted.

Hornetman
10-04-2001, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for someone who has some experience with "fe" marine applications. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make fresh water cooling work with the 427 fe, 1/2 vs. full system, crossovers etc. etc. etc. I'm running Glenwood aluminum exhaust manifolds and risers, v-drive, with Borg Warner 72C Trans. Anyway I'd like to find someone in the CT / Greater New England area that may have some experience, and may want to make some extra cash helping out on the plumbing etc. Any interested parties??? :eek:

BigGrizzly
10-04-2001, 08:46 PM
This is the easy part. Set the engine up just like the automotive application. USe the circulating pump and all. Now run thw bottom hoae into the heat exchanger and the top hoa=se into the surg tank. For the half system you then the raw water outlet from the heat exchanger to a Y then to the exhaust nanifold. For the full system samr applies except the top hose splits and goes to the exhaust then into the surge tank. Just make sure the exchanger is large enough.

Randy

Hornetman
10-05-2001, 06:13 AM
Thanks randy. One question. How do I keep the exhaust manifolds cool while the thermostat is closed on the engine? I know I need to run some kind of bypass. Some of the "fe" thermostat housings have a small extra 1/2" or so nipple right at the bend in the housing. Any ideas? Thanks again. :D

Shanghied Again
10-05-2001, 09:55 PM
Well Hello stranger? Who are you? Did you say Steve the Hornetman are you sure? Long time no talk to. All kidding a side. glad to see your back! sure dosn't feel the same with out the old Donzi friends. Are we going to get you to go on a few Poker runs next year? And are you still working on one of the best looking Hornets I have ever seen. Talk to you soon.
Frank Civitano

Hornetman
10-06-2001, 10:18 AM
Hey Frank, Glad to see yoour post. What's up with the rest of the boys? Did I see you were going to or did sell the ZX? Anyway, I'm going to get back to work on the boat as soon as I can get my trailer home. See my previous post under Rolls trailer delivery or something like that. Yup I'm back to work (new job) after taking eight months off. Wish I'd had cash while I wasn't working but just inheritted a buncf of money so as soon as I get my trailer I'll be moving the boat to someplace I can work on it. Anyhow say Hi to the rest of your lovely family, and Ill hope to make a few poker runs next summer. In case I'm not up by then I might need an invite( hint, hint, hint)

Again hope all is well with you all..
:cool: peace

BigGrizzly
10-06-2001, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you want a full system. In that case, there are at lease three ways. 1) put three 3/16 holes in a Robertshaw High performance thermostat and water will keep circulating- this system needs to be well warmed up before you jump on it. 2)you can use the heater bypass hoses and dump directly into the surge tank, you need two inlets to the surge tank. In any case your tail pipes need to be raw water cooled. 3) just put in a restrictor in place of the t-stat.
I prefer the 1/2 system , it keeps the engine compartment cooler, I have stanless headders on all but the Criterion ( soon to be changed).
Nice to see you back!

Randy

R