PDA

View Full Version : 16 OB driver's seat bracket

digitalMan
03-30-2000, 08:35 AM
The drivers seat on my '73 16 OB ripped out of the glass this weekend. The swivel bracket that was on there does not look original.

Does anybody know how the driver's seat was originally mounted in this boat? Better yet, does anybody know if hardware with comparable bolt patterns is readily available today?

I plan on ordering new upholstery from biltrite and it is supposed to be easier if your seat hardware is original. I guess they make the seat based on the original bolt patterns.

Thanks in advance.

Forrest
03-30-2000, 09:16 AM
Do you mean that the seat base pulled out of the floor? A compatible mounting pedestal should not be difficult to locate. Also, which front seat do you have? The wrap around bucket, or the chair type that has no sides and is built from two pieces of
curved plywood attached together by two aluminum brackets?

------------------
Forrest

digitalMan
03-30-2000, 09:35 AM
Yeah, It pulled right out of the floor. It was loose when I bought it and it was next on the list of stuff to fix. It just became even more important.

I have the wrap around bucket type. It could be original. It has definitely been recovered at some point.

There is a molded portion of the floor that raises the seat about 4-6 inches. I'm going to have to do some major reconstructive surgery to this area before mounting a new pedestal. I want to make sure this doesn't just rip out again.

I want to set it up so that when my new upholstery comes in from biltrite I can just bolt the new seat on. I suppose I could get the bolt pattern from them and search around for a matching pedestal. I thought I'd ask here first though in case anybody had been through it already.

Thanks for the reply.

Kenn
03-31-2000, 08:15 AM
For the 1972-1976 16 ft Outboard Donzi, with a right hand(starboard) sreering,
The original seat base is a square raised fiberglass block to which were attached slide rails to couple to the slide rails on the seat base.

Some folks switched to swiver seats but itis too dangerus.

If the block is still there, i suggest you reinforce it and simply add for to aft sliders and add a plate under the block under the cockpit sole and it should be ok.

Gotta go now and catch a plane to mickyville.

http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

-------------

Kenn

digitalMan
03-31-2000, 08:48 AM
Thanks. Mine actually has both the slides and the swivel.

I assumed somebody added the slides, but it looks the other way around.

I'll get rid of the swivel and call biltrite to get the bolt pattern to verify that the slides I have are the originals. Then I'll rebuild that fiberglass block and mount the slides to it.

Thanks again!