PDA

View Full Version : Duo prop classic

CDMA
10-02-2001, 09:58 AM
Has anyone ever actually tried a bravo III or a volvo duo prop on a 16-22 classic. I know everyone says you will lose a couple mph but a lot of other things will be better. I was just wondering if anyone had ever really done it. Wasn't it Al Vickers who always wanted to try that?

Chris

RickR
10-02-2001, 10:25 AM
CDMA
Did you get the Rolls set up? Did the pics on my post help?

CDMA
10-02-2001, 10:34 AM
Rick,

Yes and no. But the pictures did help a lot. Thank you. I got it part way adjusted and am hoping to finish it up this weekend. Mine is a little more complicated because I have keel bunks in the center. I am adding a roller like you did in the front. I also am having a problem with the brakes. I can't seem to get the reverse cut out to work. The brakes engage in reverse. There is a sigle wire on my truck harness and a single wire on on the trailer. Just doesn't seem to work. I need to get a meter on it. Hopefully this weekend. Hoping to finish that up and run over to Conn. for dinner with GEOO.

Chris

Looped
10-02-2001, 10:34 AM
Chris,
I have somewhat looked into both for my life long project that I have. Merc does not recommend the Bravo III to hit speeds over 60mph but I am sure there’s less torque effect with one. For the Volvo idea, in the mid 90’s Donzi offered the SX (single prop) as an option seen on this 95:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11342997&p=39835708&Sequence=0

I think that I have seen some 18’s for sale in the mid – late 90’s with the Douprop but I do not have any pics for proof. If someone is looking for a good “off the line pickup” a dual type prop setup could be an idea if they are not looking for extreme top end (not including the Blackhawk in this one). I have not heard what the recommended speed limits are for the Douprops, if there are any?

Craig

CDMA
10-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Craig,

I have heard that about the max speed limit of the bravo III. Volvo did put 600 hp through a dpx duo prop drive for a while. That would be a really nice set up. The now deceased volvo dpx had some nice features. Like external steering.

Why don't they want you to run 60 + with a bravo III????

Chris

TD
10-02-2001, 11:12 AM
Before getting Madpoodle's baby blue 18, I was half owner of the yellow X18 pictured on the all Donzi list. We fried the 270 and replaced it with a DP D1 volvo drive. We bought it offa boat that had fallen off the trailer while going down the highway. I think it had around ten hours on it. It actually still has some torque steer but not as bad as before. As far as speed, it is more consistent, but generally not any faster. Keep in mind we didn't have trim before, but we reach the same speed at the same rpm. The hole shots are great!!!!
Just one person's opinion and expirience. :D

Tony
10-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Three years ago there was a 16' for sale in Michigan with a 350 Chevy and a Volvo Duoprop . It sold, so I missed looking at it, but the guy on the phone claimed 60mph and "flatten you into the back of your seat" hole shots.

Looped
10-02-2001, 11:33 AM
Chris,
I was off a bit but here is a quote from Sterndrives.com:

"The Bravo Three drive is not recommended for speeds above 70MPH as it
does tend to "shimmy" due to the fact there is no constant side torque."

Maybe adding a single or dual external steering setup could cure that!

Craig

RickR
10-02-2001, 11:58 AM
CDMA
Make sure the brakes are not already engauged (from stopping your truck) when you put the tow vehicle in reverse.
A bolt through the arms on the sugre actuator works also.

GEOO
10-02-2001, 06:37 PM
Chris, I drove an X-18 with a duoprop. I was told she came from the dealer with the big block and an optional E :Drive (Volvo's Speedmaster). The owner had problems keeping the e:drive together and installed a Duo prop lower unit. GEOO

BigGrizzly
10-02-2001, 07:31 PM
Geoo wasn't that Goff's boat? There is a volvo dealer in Pensicola Fla. who did the swapp on a stingray and lost 3 mph. That was when Volvo would swapp the lower for a Duo prop for $1,500. His remark was the handling wasn't worth it. I found a old trailerboat mag that compaired the Alpha, Bravo III and the Duoprop on the same boat. The Alpha won the Duo prop second and the BrovoIII last.

Randy

Voodoocanoe
10-03-2001, 04:54 PM
CDMA
Extreme Member
Member # 34
Member Rated:

posted October 02, 2001 10:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick,
Yes and no. But the pictures did help a lot. Thank you. I got it part way adjusted and am hoping to finish it up this weekend. Mine is a little more complicated because I have keel bunks in the center. I am adding a roller like you did in the front. I also am having a problem with the brakes. I can't seem to get the reverse cut out to work. The brakes engage in reverse. There is a sigle wire on my truck harness and a single wire on on the trailer. Just doesn't seem to work. I need to get a meter on it. Hopefully this weekend. Hoping to finish that up and run over to Conn. for dinner with GEOO.
---------------------------------------------
Chris, When you add that roller to the front of your trailer make sure you get a clear (yellowish)one the black one's usually leave a black streak on the bow of your boat.

Wire that reverse lock out solinoid wire to your reverse lights that way when you put your truck in reverse it will activate the solinoid. Also there are 5 pin flat plugs available at your trailer supply stores to make the job easier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 607 | From: Stony Brook NY | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged

Chris,

Forrest
10-03-2001, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly, but didn't someone tell me a couple of years ago that they bought a Volvo DPx drive that came from a boat that was damaged in a road accident and they were going to hang it on a an 18 2+3? If they did, I would sure like to know how that project turned out. The DPx and DPxHP was the performance dual prop outdrive.

CDMA
10-03-2001, 05:35 PM
Voodo,

Only yellow rollers for me...

I have a wire that the truck harness says is prewired to the back up lights...doesn't activate anything. I need to see if the problem lies in the truck or thge trailer first.

Forrest,

Those DPX's are awsome...to bad no longer

Chris

BigGrizzly
10-03-2001, 11:26 PM
Make sure your foot isn't on the brake after stopping suddenly or pointing down hill it will lock the brakes on. The front rollers was a great idea. I made a tripple on mine (to spread out the pressure) after Rick posted it the first time. I had worn the gel coat off because of the skidd.

Randy

GEOO
10-04-2001, 07:24 AM
Randy,
It was Geoff's boat from Danbury CT. GEOO