PDA

View Full Version : Bang for my buck ?

Sam
10-01-2001, 09:49 PM
My current set up is a 1996 sixteen with a 5.7 two barrel. Every one tells me that my best bet for bolt on performance is to get my motor breathing. That is to say, change my intake and go to a four barrel. I would love to hear what you think I may gain as it relates to HP.

Thanks
Sam

Dennis
10-02-2001, 08:03 AM
Sam, an intake will help but you should have a plan. Example: intake and carb will be better but rich in fuel, then you need exhaust to breath, for two hundred more you get the cam and lifters, then you need to upgrade the ignition, and so on. In order to create the menu I need to know exactly what your starting from and where you want to go so you just don't end up wandering around aimlessly spending money just cause someone said so. Picture the engine as a system and it needs all the parts to play in Harmony and you don't end up building a handgranade!!

Rootsy
10-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Sam,

I have the same boat (1997 16) and setup (5.7 w/ alpha) as you... in stock form i was pulling 4300 rpm with a 19P Vengence. I've done an edelbrock performer, 600 cfm holley and 1.6 ratio roller rockers along with a Thunderbolt IV ignition module. i'm now spinning 4500 rpm with a 21P Mirage, i was turning 5000 flat with the 19P Vengence. best speed to date with gps is 59 mph flat. I need to block the exhaust crossover off from the heads to the intake (my goof) and i think it'll help a tad more. Another trick i want to try is adding a water crossover at the back of the manifold... on a SBC you tend to get hotter cylinders at the rear of the motor since the intakes have no water crossover.. i can see this on my plugs... since the rear 4 cylinders are cleaner... I have no issues with the 4V setup... you just jet the carburator to your motors specific needs... i have all that info for the holley too.. i played with it most of the summer. i picked up about 300 rpms just jetting the carb and playing with the secondary springs. Our motors come with a roller camshaft and as you can tell replacing it is a chore... i've been considering this project for the winter... just need to figure out which grind i want to go to... i don;t want to get too radical, i'd just be happy in the 60 - 65 range...