PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Race Boat History

Formula Jr
10-01-2001, 07:46 PM
Frank C. suggested a list of the various Donzi Race boats.
So here is new thread to set that up.

Owen 1965 DONZI 28 Bill Wishnick (Broad Jumper).
1965 DONZI 28 Jim Wynne, (Donzi Doozy)
1965 DONZI 28,Don Arownow (007)
1966 DONZI 28 Don Aronow (008)
1966 DONZI 28 Bobby Rauthbord (Patty Lou)
1967 MAGNUM/DONZI Don Aronow(Maltese Magnum)
1967 MAGNUM DONZI Bill Sirois(Old Yellar 11)
1967 Donzi 28 Allan Brown (Donzi Baby)
1997 Donzi 27 ZX John Wooley (Damn Donzi)
Damn Donzi F -66 was an A boat before with a traggeic accident. There was a couple of
more before Damn Donzi but I would have to sit down and do some home work..

Scott Pearson
10-02-2001, 07:29 AM
Dont forget the 1966 Donzi 28 foot "Blue Devil"

(NJ)Scott

oldLenny
10-02-2001, 08:58 AM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny4.jpg

ALLAN BROWN
10-02-2001, 12:44 PM
In 1964, we built 5 raceboats for the Miami-Key West November Race. "Donzi Dandy" For Aronow, "Donzi Doozy" for Wynne, "Donzi Baby" for Jake Trotter, "Donzi Diesel" for Walt Walters, all 28's, and the original 19' Hornet with a 400 hp Interceptor on a V-drive (with a 4 speed Pontiac transmission) for me. It was rougher than you could imagine. Thank God it was downhill! Jack Manson was leading in his 44" Diesel Allied when they buried it in the back of a freak wave, and broke a bunch of ribs, some in the boat, and some in a boating writer who was writing the story as he went. Jack coined a now famous phrase that day. On the horn to the coast guard, he screamed "Hurry up! Here come them Damn Donzis".

In any case, the boats were sold, resold, renamed, destroyed, etc. We built a new one for George Couzens, "Blue Devil", which I used to drive, a new one for Bob Rautbord "Patty Lou" to replace the original 007, which was destroyed in the 1966 Around Long Island. Bob bought it from Don after the Nassau Race in 1965. Wichnick bought the "Doozy" just before the 1965 Sam Griffith Race, which I ghost drove for him. The boats were unbelievably heavy and strong. They could take a whole lot more than the crews.We were all on the Formula Race Team, before, so we accustomed to racing little ones against big ones. The only weak link in boat was the machinery. Motors were delicate, and early on, the props were soft. One miss on the throttle, a you could kiss your props goodbye. Why am I telling you all this?

mattyboy
10-02-2001, 01:00 PM
Allan,
you just keep on talking, we are all listening, your stories are a great link to the history of all of our boats, love hearing about the times when Donzi ruled offshore racing,
can't wait for the f-2 to come out and you hear Reggie Fountain say, " here come those Damn Donzi's ;)

Matt

RedDog
10-02-2001, 01:05 PM
Brownie says "why am I telling you all this?" I say, please don't stop - You are providing a history lesson that will never be found anywhere else. Thanks for taking the time!

lou
10-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Hey Brownie, why don't you write as book and I will buy 3 copies. Who else is in?

Voodoocanoe
10-02-2001, 05:18 PM
Brownie, "Why am I telling you all this?"
Because you can, I myself really enjoy and look forward to reading your posts here on the Registry, there are not many people around these days that have your knowledge and experience of what Real Hardcore Offshore Racing was back in the day when a Navigator was more than "Ballast"

GEOO
10-02-2001, 06:30 PM
Brownie, You got all of our attention please continue!!! GEOO

Shanghied Again
10-02-2001, 06:52 PM
Brownie. I was about ready to do some homework and write about the good old boats but It sure great to hear from one of the Legends ( My ears are open wide )

BigGrizzly
10-02-2001, 07:15 PM
Brownie,You are one of the corner stoned that helped build modern racing! You guys built by trial, error and pure gutes. Yes todays boats are faster, just because of technology. New drivers in old boats couldn't beleive you guys could do it that well. Yet you guys in new boats, say its a piece of cake in the new boats. Remember they still run the basic design you men built. I for one am proud to know you.

Randy

Gearhead99
10-02-2001, 07:26 PM
Brownie, keep up the good info. I was a follower of off shore back in the Donzi hey day.

Brings back fond memories of tough boats, Donzi's, and tougher men, you.

Thanks again...

Christian
10-02-2001, 08:00 PM
Mr. Brown,
reading your posts puts me closer to what must have been the greatest experiences on the open sea. I can only hope that you continue to share those life's experiences with us!
thank you, for sharing
a fellow younger donzier (22)
Christian Del Collo

olredalert
10-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Brownie,

-----The problem is that it aint as much fun typing out the letters as it is sittin around a table with a good supply of cold ones,and some good friends and listeners.The computer is a wonderful thing but it doesnt allow us to get the inflection behind the words.I think I know what you are referring to when you say "why am I telling you all this ?".You just dont know first hand how interested we are in this stuff.In lieu of our presence,trust me,we love this stuff!!!!We would love it more if it was first person,but we will take what we can get.I know I speak for those of us who care,when I say"come on up to Sarasota,please!!!!!Theres a cold one waiting for you,as well as a lot of friends!.......just......appreciative.........ol red!

oldLenny
10-02-2001, 09:58 PM
Here's some neat History!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Lenny5-1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Lenny6-1.jpg

...thanks to the Harbourmaster for "fixing"
the obscene size of the original post...

Formula Jr
10-02-2001, 09:58 PM
So what happened with Donzi during the '70s and '80s? Did they race at all?

Forrest
10-03-2001, 09:38 AM
Great find, Len! We are all ears Allen!!!

ALLAN BROWN
10-04-2001, 07:52 AM
Carl owned another company before Sea Craft, called Sea Mark. They built racing outboard cats. Carl is a bright and wonderful guy, who is sailing around the world (second lap) with his wife. He is former chief pilot for Arthur Vining Davis, the developer. In 1967, Carl won the outboard class, Miami-Nassau, and I won overall. As you might recall, we raced to Nassau on Thursday, we raced around Nassau (New Providence Island) on Sunday. Carl and I had breakfast before the race, and hatched a wonderful plot. Red Crise, promoter of Red Crise, and to a small extent, the Nassau race, was a real s#*t. We decided to give him his payback! The start of the race was in Nassau Harbour. Including local entries, there were nearly 70 boats, all of whom were in our plan. At exactly 10:00 am, Red raised the beautiful, giant, old Bahamian flag, and lowered it. No one moved. Everyone was looking the other way. Most of the boats were "dead in the water", so that we could hear Red cursing. After a couple of minutes, Aronow took a lace hankie out of his life jacket and waved it. Everyone took off like a dragster. Red refused to pass out the trophies after the race. Where was I? Oh, Potter (also a great guy) and a member of the lucky sperm club (Rockwell) bought the well established company and made it better or bigger of both.

abelchinewalker
10-04-2001, 03:26 PM
This is very interesting, please keep it comming.

Dr. Dan
10-04-2001, 08:37 PM
Wow, This is fantastic, Brownie, it's an honor and a privledge to read all your accounts of your many experiences. Scott, why don't we start a special section for this type of material that is "Real Factual History and Development" of our Donzis. I think based on the responses here that it would be very well read and impart a vital resource to all us who are obsessed with learning all we can about Donzi! Brownie could be the lead contributor as well as the others we have here, who "Truly" know their Stuff!...What Do You Guys Think? ...Doc ;)