PDA

View Full Version : Volvo drive Problem

TD
10-01-2001, 09:46 AM
Hey Gang I have an unusual problem with my Outdrive. My boat is a 76 18' with a 280 drive. At first I thought my hub was spun, but as time goes on it seems to be an internal problem. The symptoms are when I put it into forward or reverse it does not fully engage into gear until more rpm is given and then it sort of clunks in. Secondly, when I get up to speed, say 35, and then give it more throttle, it starts slipping, and does this until I bring it back down to near idle speed. Drive oil is clear and at proper level. I'm not sure what oil is in the drive, have asked the P.O., but he has not responded. Any hints, suggestions, or comments welcome. :confused:

CDMA
10-01-2001, 10:25 AM
My non expert first thought would possibly be worn cone clutches. You also might want to look into wether or not the drive is engaging all the way into gear. Just pull the little cover off on the back of the drive. It is pretty simple.

Chris

Forrest
10-01-2001, 10:45 AM
If the shift cable is adjusted correctly, it sounds like the the gear box may need to be re-shimmed, which BTW, is not all that big of a job. Also, what oil do you run in that drive?

BRIAN73
10-01-2001, 12:40 PM
TD
This is novice advice, but It sounds like your shifting cable is out of adjustment. I would take the volvo plate off and adjust the shift cable.Run the connector or what ever you call it 2 or 3 turns in each direction, Put the cable back on to the shifting arm with cotter pin. Run the boat and shift to see if there is a improvement at engagement.
I have know Idea why it would slip at 35mph. Check The whole shifting assembly both sides in outdrive.
I hope this might help in some elementary way. If I knew more I would tell.
Brian73

mattyboy
10-01-2001, 08:53 PM
TD
I had the same problem with shifting into gear ( volvo 250), it is a simple adjustment when the boat is out of the water, remove the cover
have some one move the shifter and see when it engages in forward then reverse then try it without the cable attached and then shorten or lengthen the cable has needed. the problem with slipping at speed could be you spun a hub, did you hit anything? if you have a spare prop make the shifter adjustments and try another prop. If it still slips CDMA, or Forrest are probably right, and take Madpoodle advice, I just learned this run gear oil 90w, not motor oil.
Since my adjustment it works great.
Good luck let us know

Matt

BigGrizzly
10-02-2001, 12:06 AM
Just because the drive had new cones doesn' mean they fit well. If it slips when in motion this could be the problem. they may need to be lapped in. This symtom id usually slipping clutches or cable adjustment maybe both.

Randy

TD
10-03-2001, 11:29 PM
I have tried 3 different props and they all seem to slip one way or another. I did remove the cable when I seperated the deck from the hull to install a new 41 gallon gas tank. Maybe it is out of adjustment, but it has gotten much worse lately. Scott, if you can email me the adjustment procedure that would be great, and if you have to fax, I will give you a fax number at work. I tend to agree with Grizzly that it is the cones. If that is the case, then what do I do to check the cones?
as always, thanks for all advice.

Very dry in Kentucky

TD :p

Forrest
10-04-2001, 10:20 AM
. . . and while it's apart, do forget to re-shim it.

TD
10-04-2001, 01:51 PM
It looks as though a cable and linkage adjustment are to be my first step. Madpoodle, I'll take you up on faxing the pages out of your manual pertaining to this.
Please fax to my attention at (502)583-0092.
Much appreciate all everyone's help.
Enjoyong last nice day before the cold stormy weather drops in!!!!!!!

TD :cool:

TD
10-04-2001, 08:16 PM
It looks as though a cable and linkage adjustment are to be my first step. Madpoodle, I'll take you up on faxing the pages out of your manual pertaining to this.
Please fax to my attention at (502)583-0092.
Much appreciate all everyone's help.
Enjoyong last nice day before the cold stormy weather drops in!!!!!!!

TD :cool:

TD
10-08-2001, 05:14 PM
I took the coever off and moved the shifter and it appears to be engaging in forward and reverse all the way or properly. I have noticed that when it is in gear(motor off) and you turn the prop in the direction it turns for the gear placement, it will turn sometimes several turns before it locks in,(due to the engine not turning. Does this sound like cones slipping? I would like to know before I have to take the drive off.
Never have received any linkage adjustment info, but I think its' OK.
Thanks,
TD
dry and cold in KY :(

BigGrizzly
10-08-2001, 10:26 PM
Mine locks almost istantly. no turn at all. Do the cable first.

Randy

mattyboy
10-09-2001, 08:19 PM
td,
when you try this take the cable off, the flange( looks like a bowtie ) pops out on mine when engaged in f or r. as you pull one side down or up . i thought mine was shifting into gear cause the bowtie moved all the way but it needed to travel a hair more and then it would pop out . then the prop was locked in one direction and spun freely the other way and vice versa when in r
hope that helps

Matt

TD
10-26-2001, 06:05 PM
Back from North Dakota in time to winterize the baby blue 18' before it freezes tonight.
I did check the "bowtie" as Mattyboy suggested. It pops out when engaged in forward and reverse, but the prop turns several revolutions before resistance occurs.
I'm thinking the clutches are in need of repair or adjustment. Perhaps a good project over the winter before AOTH II. Any good specs on this would be appreciated, or a good source for such specs!
thanks in advance.
TD ;)