PDA

View Full Version : X-18 sheer and other stuff...

oldLenny
09-09-2001, 10:22 PM
Those with these boats, ONLY X BOATS, have you noticed that the "cowling flair" as it rises, from the transom/hatch area, and then proceeds towards the cockpit, the topside, (sun) has varying widths along its length as it traverses along the deck? 3/8" to 3/4 at points in question. Seems to get a bit fat then skinny, fatter again and neither side is identical? The fairing of it all seems sporatic.

As well, when these boats were introduced, in say 1973?-74 who was at the helm of Donzi (Chisholmes?)and does ANYONE know where this concept came from? (It WAS something landed on a Classic deck) I can't help but look at the fairing, expand it, radius it, "do the lines", and let it "fall" back to the hull (enclose the cockpit area naturally) and see a "fighter cockpit and/or canopy origin."

Does anyone know where the idea came from?
Just curious,...

And an offer(desperate pleading) to some incredibly nice person,...

My wife has a Computer Conference in Miami sometime in the next 3 months. (near Christmas) Can I trust/and or bribe ANYONE, preferably the BEST, (that should narrow it down...) to take her out for a "quick" ride and not scare the #$it out of her, must have open exhaust, and go 60+(NOT 95.2) She won't break the hatch cover...I want her to make the journey back home (3500 miles) somewhat "Happy" and loving these things and not talk about..."and then we flipped, and then we flipped again, and then I was saved by this Dolphin...I think his name was Flipper" :rolleyes:

I can see it now...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/summer.jpg
I'm sure she flew out here... Dammit, you were right behind me Scot!...Didn't you see her?...!!! Oh,...Great!...look over there,...isn't that a 'gator?...now what?

oldLenny
09-10-2001, 01:13 AM
'Poodle...The part that you rest your arms/elbows on when relaxing. It is un-even through it's length, a result of the "fairing' when concieved. Minor mind you, but I find it interesting as it is the result of the "mould maker" whoever that was. I was curious as too why it isn't a sharp radius as it is at the dash/deck area where the cockpit starts.

This part... http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen04.jpg

HP 600SC
09-10-2001, 07:14 AM
Len,
let me know what you find out.
I do love the X-18 it was my first Donzi :cool:

HP 600SC
09-10-2001, 08:06 AM
Madpoodle,
any luck finding an X-18 for me yet?

harbormaster
09-10-2001, 08:13 AM
LEN,
I am laughing my but off.
I am imagining the guys in the pictures saywhat you wrote and thinking about fipper too. It is freakin hilarious.

The wife boat ride sometimes definetly helps to win them over.

Forrest
09-10-2001, 08:38 AM
The guys in the picture are saying, "Hay towel boy, how 'bout givin' this X-18 and all her lines traversing from the cowling to the fairing, a tow to that gas dock over there. I guess that the gas gauge was working right after all." :p

Anyway Len, I think the the '68 to '72 Corvette may have had some styling influnce at the time. Both the X-18 and the 'Vette had the little kicked up ducktail spoiler in the rear. That styling feature went away on the Corvette in '73 with the "5mph bumpers" but stayed on the X-18 . . . just a guess, but who really knows? But you know Len, that brings up another question. Who did the design of the the X-18 deck? Maybe Brownie knows.

olredalert
09-10-2001, 09:46 AM
When I bought my X-18 in 1979(it was a 78 model)I was living in Chicago and called up John C to ask him about the boat.His statement at that time was that the X-18 deck was concieved to get more engine clearance.He never mentioned where the design influence came from.I dont even know who penned the lines.What was funny about my boat was that they(the factory)dropped in the 454/TRS combo in and still needed more clearance so had to put a small scoop on the hatch anyway.That was one tail heavy 18,but it flew(about 68/70 as I recall)!.........Just.........ol red!

GEOO
09-10-2001, 02:13 PM
Len,
I think the X-18 was an updated Corsican. Someone told me the Corsican & X-18 had bumped up decks to fit larger motors.
Someone else said that the X-18 was the luxury model with taller front seats and larger, more padded rear seat.

Of coarse we all know that the X-18 raised front deck helps keep the bow down at high speeds, keeps the wind from catching the cockpit, driver, seats etc (less drag).The rear deck allow's for larger engine, flame arrestor, exhaust ect and the spoiler keeps the boat balance for those high speed run's. The extra large front seat support the drivers back. The only flaw I found is the reat seat is not fastened in???
The X-18 is good for an extra 3-5 mph!!!

GEOO ;) (just having fun)

marcdups
09-10-2001, 04:03 PM
Len, that is one of the best captions I have seen in a looong time, LMOA :D :D

Towel Boy :rolleyes:

Ladies ride free, males want new trim tabs, Hi Jack!!

Blewbyu
09-10-2001, 10:31 PM
:confused: Len-Did you mean "cowling flare", or "cowling fairing".........or what th' heck is "cowling flair"??
Wait.........I know.....this is one of those bogus "sucker punch" questions akin to muffler bearings, isn't it? I feel so USED!!! :rolleyes: :p

Blewbyu
09-10-2001, 10:37 PM
P.S.-I'll bet when she flew outta the front boat,she hit th' "cowl flair" on that ding-dang X-18 and th' 'gators got 'er!Dammit! I'm going right down ta th' dock this minute and file that cowl flair right offn my boat! :D :rolleyes: :D

ALLAN BROWN
09-11-2001, 07:09 AM
The X-18 was styled by a Detroit bunch, with putty and stuff. Strictly a deck redo. The late Tim Chisholm, Chairman of Donzi at the time, also hired a new PR firm. One of the slogans..."When they built this baby, they threw away the mold!".

Donzified
09-11-2001, 07:50 PM
My 1976 x-18 has a padded interior sides the area you refer to is coverd with a stainles steel molding to terminate the vinyl. This small area is good to walk on, it's not waxed.

Moody Blu'
09-13-2001, 02:49 PM
you guys love to call me out ehh? :cool:

harbormaster
09-13-2001, 09:57 PM
"how come its not in the registery.."

Go poodle boy, Go!