PDA

View Full Version : volvo can switch from left to right hand prop???

Moody Blu'
09-28-2001, 04:49 PM
Is this true? can a volvo be switched to a right hand from left hand or vice versa?

I need to know this because I am testing some props this weekend.

I am not sure. :confused:
I know the gears are angled and tapered so spinning the wrong way might be bad.
I am not sure. :confused:
Anyone know?
HELP please!

Thanks in adavance! ;)

GEOO
09-28-2001, 04:59 PM
No problem running a right or left hand prop, just switch the arm in the drive. GEOO

MOP
09-28-2001, 08:49 PM
Hi before you play with rotation I remembered that in one direction, I believe left hand you can drive the main vertcal shaft right up through the top cap running at high RPM and jumping the prop out of the water as our Donzi's do. I am a retired Volvo tech with no darn books to refer to. And have fixed a couple over the years that were over loaded. See if you can get your hands on a diagram you can tell that one direction forces the shaft down the other loads the shaft against the split brass keepers and that what lets go and BOOM!

Phil / Long Island

Moody Blu'
09-28-2001, 10:16 PM
I had a feeling that something was amidst.
thanks for the info phil.

I am just testing props though.

Antone know the stock roatation of a 250 drive?

I heard that the ratio on the 250 is 1:69 that sucks!
volvo made three different ratios, 1:35, 1:69 and somethin else.
1:35 sounds good to me ;)

boldts
09-28-2001, 10:50 PM
Broque,

How's it going guy. Nice pics of your gal friend. I also have a 250 Volvo. Since Phil was a mechanic who worked on Volvo drives, I'll just tell you what I'm doing with mine and you can take it or leave it. When I bought my boat many years ago now, the drive was turning a left hand prop. I have to agree with Phil on the problem rotation being left since while spinning the prop in the left hand direction, I blew the upper gear right out of the thing the second year I owned the boat. How-ever, once it was rebuilt, I have had no problems with the drive since. Three years ago in a quest to run a stainless prop on the boat, I changed the drive rotation to a right hand drive. I am knocking on wood here, but have had no problem with the drive turning it right handed. I am currently running a right hand stainless 3 blade round ear prop. It's dimentions are 14 1/4 dia. X 21 that has been changed to 22" of pitch and all the cup possible has been added. No major HP in front of it with a stock 302 Ford, but I would like to find a stainless 23" pitch for my 250 Volvo. Fully trimed, the tach is bouncing on the 5,000 RPM line at WOT. This is OK except the quest for more speed would be nice. I know I do not have a lot of slippage with this set-up because I can feel myself being pushed in the seat all the way up to WOT. Remember that running a right hand prop on a left hand steer Donzi will cause some lift on the right side due to the torque of the prop. Good luck with your testing. Let me know what you find. Are you testing stainless props or alum.?

Moody Blu'
09-29-2001, 10:42 AM
I'm testing 3 props.
1 stainless spinelli 14 1/2 x 22 rh
1 aluminum 15x22 lh
1 bronze 15x24 rh

I hope the weather holds out

BigGrizzly
09-29-2001, 06:50 PM
The biggest load is on the prop shaft not the virtical shaft. With streight cut gears thr load is constant on the vertical shaft regardless of rotation. Since it is a planetary gear setup I don't see with streight cut gears hoy you can load one side more than the other. However if you reve it up and have a slipping cone clutch then drop it in gear you can(I did) wedg that baby in so tight it won't come out of gear. I lap my cones and receivers together on my Volvos, I also use 75-90 gear oil not that lame 30 wt. Our 16 Has over 3000 hr on the drive and has been rebuilt once in 1967 due to a phone poll in the ocean of of Pt. Pleasant NJ. Don't know any thing about the drive on the Corsican I went through it 6 years ago when I put it together. I twist the engine to 5600-> 5700 on a regular basis..
Bolts I feel your feer of the drive is un founded. IT sounda like you had a bearing oiling problem. Since most old Volvos were lefties, and you changed to a rightie then my point has been proven. Plus when there were twin drives one didn't fail more then the other. at least not when I worked at a marina
Sky be careful with the reverse rotation it handles different when catching air.

Randy

mattyboy
09-30-2001, 09:21 AM
hey sky,
I'm using a spinelli 14x21 lh on my boat from what I hear each spinelli prop is custom built,not cheap either,this prop was ordered with skiing in mind and planes exremely quickly, but has a low top end.
I also think the hub is different than the standard volvo setup I think it might be longer, my prop has a special tool to remove it, I also have 3 mighigan props don't know what they are no markings, to busy this year to try and test. maybe if you can make the dustoff we can swap and test.
my 250 is 1.61:1
out of the volvo book
model 250a 1.35:1
model 250b 1.61:1
model 250c 1.89:1
model 250d 2.15:1
if you email me a fax number I can fax you the paragraph on changing the rotation

let me know how the chowderfest was

Matt

Moody Blu'
09-30-2001, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info griz and matty boy.

I never got to chowder fest :(

Abbe didnt feel well.
I was really looking forward to testing out Bzmarines props.
he said he might come up from virginia next weekend to test the props he has out :).

Guys If you canhelp me find a trailer for my 18 I will be travelling alot next season. so please HELP!!!

p.s.
does anyone else make a surface drive ?
Imco?

Forrest
10-01-2001, 10:24 AM
The twin Volvo-Penta 280s (1.61:1) in my Magnum 27 have been running one drive RH and the other LH for years with big small-block HP . . . and this is a heavy boat that regulary goes over big waves with more air time than I would like! :eek:

The Volvo drives are tough . . . and I think it helps to run good oil . . . NOT motor oil like the books says. I'm using Redline MT-90 gear oil.

Sky, there are a handfull of companies world wide that are currently building true surface drives. In addition to the well known Arneson (made in USA) name, there are simular drives drive being built by Saro and Marine Drive System (MDS). Also, there are surface drives being built, such as the one designed by Fabio Buzzi, that requires a total redesign of the hull to accomodate. The Imco version is a retrofit of the Bravo One lower unit.

BRIAN73
10-01-2001, 12:25 PM
I'am for sure not a volvo tech, but I have had a couple of 270's on a 28 Cig and one on my 16. I've run both left and right props. I have put extreme abuse and torque in both directions. I use the motor oil recomended and have never experienced a drive problem in 10 years. I would like to see a 24 year old alpha take that kind of abuse and come out smelling like rose.

Brian73

I'm sorry to the merc lover's but the truth will set you free.

Jamesbon
10-01-2001, 02:49 PM
SB,
If you're still skeptical, I ran my Volvo in both directions with "big small block power" and never had a problem.

Nate