PDA

View Full Version : Left hand Controls & Steering

Scott Pearson
03-24-2000, 08:31 AM
Looking for some info on keeping my 1968 18 2+3 left hand steering. Want to keep orig. look but have a Merc and Alpha set-up. What will work and who has done this set-up on theirs? Any info would be great.

Thanks!
(NJ) Scott

AVickers
03-24-2000, 04:43 PM
You need a left-hand Alpha and prop. I'm not sure if you can easily change rotation on the Alpha (like on the Volvo), but I've seen both right- and left-hand setups so I know that they're out there...

CDMA
03-24-2000, 05:43 PM
If you want a left hand rotation Alpha your best bet is to find a junked twin engine boat and grab the left hand unit. Most alphas are right hand and only in twin engine applications do you see the left hand ones. They are rare and therefore usually more expensive. I do not know about the feasability of switching the rotation. Had I had a larger budget this is what I would have done.

chris

kevin
03-26-2000, 08:48 PM
Steve if you dont care which direction the prop turns and your only problem is controls i noticed in overtons they sell throttle controls with merc adaptors that will mount on left or right side as far as steering could you just go to a longer cable to move the steering from the right (merc) to the left (donzi) it should mount the same just longer cable right? I check with advance marine about ss drive, no luck but i will keep looking, got the top back on mine this weekend almost complete just wireing. what fun

Emmo
03-26-2000, 10:09 PM
Hey GeneD- You have a RH Alpha SS in your 007 don't you? Maybe that is why it tends to hit channel markers? http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Scott Pearson
03-27-2000, 07:37 AM
Guys
thanks for the info. Im not sure the rotation will matter. If there is any stability problems the trim tabs will make that up. The boat doesnt really know where the driver is. Im sure I can make the steering work with a longer cable but still looking for some throttle help.

Thamks (NJ) Scott

RickR,GroveCity
03-27-2000, 08:05 AM
ScottP
Sorry but I disagree
Your boat has a static and dynamic Center of Gravity
They are both affected by the driver and helm weight
Figure a 200# driver adds 7% to the total weight of the boat.
With a DeepV on a 18' boat you DO NOT want the driver on the wrong side, relative to prop rotation

As an example in my 18 (right hand prop,right hand helm), with my battery as far to the right as possible, she lists to starboard at rest, but at planing speeds I still have to use the port tab to keep the boat level

Of course all this is irrelivant if your passenger weighs the same amount as
driver+ helm+ throttle

BTW a Bravo is easy to switch to Left hand.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR,GroveCity (edited 03-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RickR,GroveCity (edited 03-27-2000).]

Jamesbon
03-27-2000, 08:08 AM
Just FYI, I have a left handed helm and throttle on my GT 21 and just switched to a RH prop and reversed the rotation on the drive to spin to the right. I'll let you know how it works as soon a sthe engine is back in.
Nathan
jamesbon@ij.net

Scott Pearson
03-27-2000, 09:19 AM
Rick,
thanks, It makes sence. It would be easyer and cheaper for me to switch to Rt hand steering but would like to keep left. Guess I'll have to look for a Brovo or Alpha with other rotation.

Thanks (NJ) Scott

Forrest
03-27-2000, 11:13 AM
My 1972 16 Ski Sport with the factory installed Mercruiser Ford 302 and left-hand steering behaves best with a driver an a passenger. You can compensate with the trim tabs when running solo, but if you want to run wide-open with the tabs up, you need a passenger. A cleaver prop helps to reduce the torquing effect though. It will be interesting to see how it handles now with the Alpha SS installed. I think that I will try the 23"p cleaver that I used to run with the stock setup first. The old Mercrusier "888" (302 Ford/1.5:1 "R" outrdive) setup would turn 4200 RPM with that cleaver prop. The new engine needs 4800-5000 RPM and should easily produce at least another 100 HP more the the original. I'm still running a 1.5:1 gear in the Alpha SS. I also have a 25"p Mirage to try, but I doubt that I will be able get the RPM that this engine needs with that prop. I may be looking for a 23"p Mirage if the 23"p cleaver and the Alpha SS won't get the bow up. What do you think GeneD (or any body for tha matter)?

------------------
Forrest