PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 Steering Problems

raritan
03-23-2000, 11:57 PM
Please give me some input on the problems associated with putting a Merc drive on an early boat with left hand steering. I have been told by a knowledgable person that this is not the best arrangement.
Tnaks

------------------

GEOO
03-24-2000, 05:45 AM
Raritan,

The torque from the propeller makes the boat list to one side. Some Donzi's where set up with left hand helm to compensate for the prop torque from Volvo's left hand props. Most Mercs come right hand. If you have a right hand prop and drive on the left your boat will list hard to the left. Volvo's can run clockwise or counter clockwise,(this is an easy adjustment made in the rear lid of the drive), meaning you can switch from righthand to lefthand props. I think Mercs come from the factory one either clockwise or counter but can not easily be switched. Try steering your boat from the passenger seat; how much does the boat lean?? GEOO

raritan
03-24-2000, 08:32 AM
THANKS GEOO..... I have been looking at the 16 on Ebay and have probably decided that the steering problem would make the boat quite undesirable. Plus who would want a boat that will go 80 with zero hours on the engine. Of course you save a lot of gas I guess http://206.150.187.82/ubb/frown.gif)~~~
Again thanks for the advice

Forrest
03-24-2000, 06:09 PM
I would like to see a 16 do 80 MPH! (LOL!!!) Have him put it in writing to offer a full refund if it won't. Kind of reminds me of my co-worker who tells me with a straight face that his Bayliner with a 115 HP Force runs 74 MPH!!

raritan
03-24-2000, 06:14 PM
This is the boat in Ontario. I think the guy is full of cr.....p. There arent too many boats I would want to drive at 80.

------------------