PDA

View Full Version : Back from Lake Cumberland Poker Run

boldts
09-09-2001, 10:05 PM
First and foremost, I'd like to thank David Hicks and Tammi again for all their HOSPITALITY! When we hold a poker run at AOTH II next May, I'll be one of the volunteers who hand the card envelopes to the boaters as they come through the marina. David owns a 30' Black Widow Donzi and I was glad to have all of those feet under my feet during the run. I hope my luck with the weather at Lake Cumberland continues next May also. We had a chance for thunderstorms over the weekend, but not a drop fell while I was in attendance. I took my 18' Classic with me so I could ride around the lake in my spare time and believe it or not after doing 140 miles in David's boat, I hopped in my boat to take a ride up to the 76 falls before the unvailing of the card hands. I longed for the view of the falls and I wasn't disappointed when I arrived there. It was just as beautiful as I remembered from last May.

I was surprised actually at how many Donzi boats were at the poker run. They were only out-numbered by Baja, and Fountain of which there were more than I could keep track of. I spoke to most of the Donzi owners to see if they had any interest in returning to the lake next May for our Donzi gathering. A 28 ZX owner that I spoke to had bought his Donzi from Mike Doyle of Sandollar Marine so he got to hear first hand about the gathering from Mike. A 33' Crossbow owner said that if he had known about the event, he would have attended. Did you know that Donzi has their own Poker Run team? I really need a spare time job like that! These guys will be at the Sarasota gathering in a 38' black ZX. The driver of the team boat actually said he had heard of our gathering and said that he would like to come back up to Cumberland next May for the Awakening. Jerry Fitzgerald who attended the Awakening from KY was there with his 22 ZX. I also met a Donzi dealer named Bill Wehrs from upstate IL. He said he was on vacation with his wife at the lake and didn't know about the poker run going on. Since he had a 22 Z with him, he entered the poker run. Bill was very interested in finding out more about future Donzi gatherings.

To all of the Donzi owners that I was meeting for the first time, I passed on both the Midwest Donzi Club's web site along with the web site that got everything at Lake Cumberland started. Donzi.net. This weekend was a vast learning experience for me. I had one of the smallest boats docked in the poker run area, yet more people were interested in talking to me about my 18' Classic it seemed than all of the 42' Fountains. Everytime I was ready to go back to where I stayed for the weekend, there was a group of fellow boaters gathered around my Donzi wanting to know the year and model of the boat. I hated to tell them it only has a 302 Ford engine when their boats had me sloppering all over myself with the performance engines in them. By the way, the winner of the poker run was in a 16' Glastron with a outboard engine on the back of it. Luck of the draw.

The most impressive boat in attendance was a forty something NorTech catamaran. The boat had twin jet engines in it and was just awesume. I resided at the Cumberland State Park lodge and rented a covered slip at the State Dock located at the State Park. This catamaran happened to be docked there also. I got to experience the smell of jet fumes at 08:30 Saturday morning as the Drambuie On Ice team fired the boat up for the days activities. I hope the picture of the boat shooting flames into the air out of the exhaust ports comes out. As soon as I get the pictures developed, I'll post them for you all to see.

My goal until May 9th, 2002 is to get the word out! Harbormaster posted a post about 50 new registrants since August 20th. That means that we are starting to get the word out to Donzi owners both old and new. I believe the up-coming news media from the Sarasota gathering will also aid in this area. This past year has been the best boating summer of my life and that is because I have been able to meet Donzi owners who share the passion of a boat company started by Don Aronow named Donzi.

roadtrip se
09-09-2001, 11:36 PM
Hey Scott,
Great write up about the Big C poker run. I have been in several over the years. Nothing like cooking along at 100 or so, in one of those f-boats, feeling like a king and getting passed like you are standing still by someone in a 46 skater cat. Big toys for big boys, and some mighty big egos, too. Great idea for the AOTH2. Maybe just a bit more relaxed than the typical monster poker run... Todd

boldts
09-11-2001, 12:48 AM
Roadtrip,

Your right about our poker run being more relaxed. I don't think we need to do a 140 mile course either. I'd like to give you a call and discuss a course plan that would be more appropriate for us. If you are at the Sarasota gathering, we could discuss it then. There were over a 190 boats registered this weekend. I'm sure that folks were just being nice, but I really didn't notice to much ego, at least until the partying began Saturday night. My understanding is that everyone who wants to show what they have goes to the Dam on Sunday before packing up to leave. :eek: It is six hours for me to get home, so I couldn't hang out on Sunday, but I did get in a short ride on the lake before leaving. Boy was I sore on Sunday. I used muscles in my legs that had not been used for a very long time. I have a tremendous respect for the Offshore Racing Teams that battle the oceans to win races. It really was a fun day waving to helicopters, other participating boats, and onlookers. The cats are fast, but I think my favorite boat other than the Donzis in attendance was a 50' Hustler. The Sonics sure were a colorful group also. I've got to get Midwest Donzi Club buisness cards made also. I hadn't even thought about it before until this past weekend when I really could have used them. I'd like to give everyone in the club some of them to hand out when they meet someone with a Donzi boat interested in joining us next May. One other thing about the poker run and I was more than happy to do this for David after the run. I put $100.00 worth of fuel into the Donzi that got us safely through the day and back to the home port. That didn't even completely fill the tank. Sure makes me appreciate the 18's size that can be taken to an inland gas station for refueling at $1.68 vs $2.35 on the lake for 93 octane. I'll never forget the start of the poker run and how busy we were watching out for all of our fellow boaters. I applaud the job that David did and the way he handled his Donzi. :D :eek: :D

Bandit
09-12-2001, 11:02 AM
What a great time and I'm glad you were able to make the run with me Scott!!!

That first take-off out of Jamestown sure was a rush. Both of my co-pilots did a great job keeping me out of the traffic and out in front. We got out of the pits a little late after lunch and got behind a couple flights of boats which provided us with the rough water to get some air a few times. I think a couple of those landings worked those muscles your talking about Scott.

The old Donzi w/460's and king cobra's held up when several other boats were dropping out over the course. Sat. alone I ended up traveling 220mi. and most of that was running over 4200rpms. I actually left out Sat. morning from my dock on the other end of the lake around 8:00am and headed down to Jamestown to pickup Scott and start the run. After everything settled down Sat. night I noticed the moon coming up on the far bank and it was time for a night cruise 40mi back to the other end. What a way to cap off a day!!!

Scott, my buddy video'ed the run from that huge Sonic and I'll forward you a copy when I get mine. They are also selling a video from the helicopters but I'm not sure how much. I'd like to see some of your pics when you get them back.

It's getting to be that time of year to put her to rest for the winter. The old Donzi deserves it because she sure has run good this past summer with no major expenses and always reliable.

What a way to put her up after a poker run like that. But hey, who am I kidding. It would have been much better if we got the winning hand of 4 Aces instead of the 2 deuces with Ace high. Maybe next year.

Moody Blu'
09-12-2001, 11:06 AM
scott you typed two hand fulls!
nice typing!

Sam
09-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Scott, thanks for the great story, I always look forward to your post's. It's funny I have been thinking about organizing a Donzi Poker Run for some time now. I have checked in to several poker runs only to find out that I was not fast enough or long enough to handle the water. I am serious about putting a run together for next year. If you or anyone else has any interest in putting this together let me know.

Sam

marcdups
09-12-2001, 07:35 PM
Scott, glad you guys had a great time and YES meeting a bunch of DONZI guys and gulls at Eufala this year was the highlight of this season and I will not miss it for the world!!

Towel boy !!
Sarrasota or Palatka ??? :eek: