PDA

View Full Version : rough water capabilites of 22 classic

grover
03-23-2000, 03:04 AM
i am currently looking into buying a second hand 22 classic..
what are the rough water capabilites of this boat. I need it primarily for coastal running and the occassional island hopping...can it handle the later (3-7 ft seas)
any info is greatly appreciated
also are there any sites or journals that do write ups / tests on this model

GEOO
03-23-2000, 06:29 AM
Grover, In my 18' 1 to 2 foot is fun skimming across the tops, 2-3 is OK, 3-4 is not fun, 4-6 be careful.
A 22 footer can handle bigger waves. Frank C has a 22zx. He's a nut, travel 's in the rough ocean all the time. GEOO

Frank Civitano
03-23-2000, 08:30 AM
Hi Grover
Geo is right? I love the Ocean, My boat handles 4-5 no problem at 6-8 You can only do about 35-45 mph but she still handles ok,, After that it gets a little hairy! Hey I was out in the May race we had 15ftrs and that was NO fun at all. When we came home from the NY race the Ocean was turning up 8-10. My speed was only 30mph on the way back. It wasn't a fun 2hr ride. But we made it! My advise to you is try one and see if you like it? Not to many people are suicidle like me.. Remember any boat under 30 will be rough in the Ocean?

------------------
Frank Civitano

MattM
03-23-2000, 09:46 AM
I agree with Frank. Anything up to about 4 feet is really fun but beyond that you feel like you need to slow down and pay more attention to keeping the boat in shape than launching from wave top to wave top. I've had a 22 and now have an 18 and the 22 was a completely different boat, much more freeboard and waterline length make it a better boat to be in the ocean with.

RickR,GroveCity
03-23-2000, 07:26 PM
Yous Guys must be alot younger and TOUGHER than I am

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

AVickers
03-23-2000, 07:34 PM
Not just ocean running! We have a large lake near my home and it'll get rolling whitecaps that'll come up over the stern of my 19 when it's not on the move. On the move, it gets "interesting." Ski boats are simply unbearable -- they'll pound you to pieces on the same water!

The 22 offers MUCH more freeboard...and a MUCH better rough-water ride.

That's one of the main reasons I'm looking at going to a 22...

Donziflyer
03-23-2000, 08:22 PM
Grover-
I purchased my 89 22' Classic last August and only had 2 months of time behind the wheel before winterizing but after about 5 hr of drive time (this is not my first fast boat) I felt real confident flying over 3'-4' chop at 55 MPH on Lake Chelan here in Central WA. It handles better in that stuff than any boat I have ever been in and in two more weeks it's time to get it wet!! I'm psyched http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
PaulH

Frank Civitano
03-23-2000, 10:24 PM
Heck no ! Im not younger (47) As my wife would say ( You act younger then the kids) My reply? ThankYou!! After a good Ocean run(bashing) Im usally soar for a couple days. But hey! I go back for more? A Donzi truely dont look good unless your airborne are beating the pants off another boat.. Unless you own a Donzi thats all thats left, Just another boat?

------------------
Frank Civitano

Kliffy
03-27-2000, 04:16 PM
Hi Grover, my friend is looking to get a 22 Donzi, he too is very keen on going real fast i am glad you asked this question because the responces are very interesting,i hope he reads them carefully and does not go over board with the powerplant and speed as i fear both our lives would be in danger, but then again thats what its all about so go for it.

Stan
03-27-2000, 05:58 PM
This is a copy of the review done by Hotboat Magazine. RE: "Diesel Power"

April 1998
DONZI Meets The Diesel
22' Classic/300 HP Yanmar

When you look at the really big picture, the diesel engine rules the world. The world is, after all, three-quarters water, and there’s no denying our reliance on the diesel for the most demanding of our planet’s marine powering needs.
Just where the diesel fits into the family performance spectrum is another matter altogether, though the fact that the question is even open for debate speaks volumes for its evolving viability. Diesel engines are finding their way into the wells of performance offshore setups with increasing regularity, for much the same reason they’re coveted in the Euro sedans and workhorse tow vehicles favored by their owners.
Still, a diesel in a Donzi? And a Classic, of all things?
The Package
Donzi’s 22-foot Classic vee-hull was introduced nearly 30 years ago, and it remains an icon that, to many, defines one of performance boating’s glamour eras. There was no denying the strangeness that followed in the few seconds after the rhythmic churn of the diesel purr kicked in, in earnest. Hey, we coulda’ had a V-8--but it’s true that the diesel was significantly quieter, even with the single, oversized exhaust port that ran through the transom. (Through-hub exhaust is not an option--it creates too much back pressure).
We couldn’t keep the dock gawkers pried from the open hatch of our turbo-diesel test boat, which revealed a marriage of the Donzi hull and a new mix of Yanmar diesel and MerCruiser technology. The new Yanmar STZE inline six cylinder, with its 254 cubic inches, promised a better power-to-weight tilt than any of its predecessors; its 300-horse output is equivalent to MerCruiser’s base 454, and at 899 pounds (less drive), it’s 316 pounds lighter. It runs four valves for each of its six cylinders.
Two things sell the diesel package: durability and relative economy. Both the 300-horse STZE package and the 250-hp DTZE offer--get this--five-year, 2,000-mile warranties. It’s not uncommon for diesels to triple the longevity of gas engines. Our Donzi cruised cooley at 3,600 rpm--just 400 down from peak--and clocked in at 57 miles per hour there.
"Because you can run a diesel extremely economically at just below peak rpm," says Adid Mastry of Mastry Engine Center in St. Petersburg, "the 6LPl will consume half the fuel as the gas engine."
The Yanmar diesel is one of the new breed of diesels, which burn cleaner and operate more efficiently than earlier-generation product. A waste-gated turbocharging system, which is fortified with a life-inducing intercooler, is responsible for keeping emission smoke to a minimum. Also, its power band is more expansive than those in some bigger diesel applications, which peaked at around 2,800 rpm; the STZE found 4,050 rpm.
Donzi retained the same X-dimension in the installation, which required minimal differences--an adapter system built by Mastry and the use of a fuel return line.
Power was filtered through MerCruiser’s Bravo One drive, which can, in a sense, be considered the breakthrough element in Yanmar’s assault on the family performance market. MerCruiser and Yanmar formed an alliance two years ago; while both are realistic about the market potential, each was eager to show what the right diesel package could do in the right application.
The Donzi is a challenging platform, with its traditional deep-vee and sizable draft. Combine the diesel’s standard warranty--definitely an offsetting factor in the package’s $9,000 premium price, over the base big-block V-8--with the reliability of performance boating’s most thoroughly proven stern drive, and you’ve got a package worthy of consideration in some applications. Granted, you can have a lot more fun for the same money by spending it on an HP500; you’ll rebuild it a half dozen times before the diesel begins to tire.
We came away from our test drive highly impressed with the Donzi’s overall performance personality, most notably its confirmed, radar-verified 60.1-mph top end. The Classic was was the first diesel-powered sport boat we’ve seen in this size range that eclipsed 60 miles per hour (60.1, to be exact)--a solid number given the inherent drag in this sharply cut, 24-degree hull.
The Bravo’s gearing was left at 1.5:1 (rather than upping to 1.36), and the setup made surprisingly efficient use of a Mercury Mirage Plus 27-inch three-blade. Bennett tabs are standard, and Kiekhaefers are available.
Remarkably, the Donzi’s lines seem immune to the conventions of time and retained an elegant presence even in the company of a miniature fleet of new, ‘98 contemporaries. The Classic’s rich, vintage look found balance in its makers evident production skill and finish work--the vintage theme was upheld by a state-of-the-art execution.
It was also appropriately dressed. The Classic’s traditional single white gelcoat base drew dramatic accent from its bold, Sikkens paint, done at the factory. The clear-coated design was one of the nicest we’ve seen done in paint. The look was bold country club, and our test drivers loved it. On anything less than this hull design, it might have been dismissed as kitsch.
The Donzi’s cockpit design stresses the marque’s tradition, but also shined in its interior liner tooling and interior fiberglass execution; again, eras clashed--with dramatic success. Straight, pleated, rear seat cushions snapped out, as did the liner’s carpeting, making for easy cleaning and drying. Front buckets were anchored into pedestals that were through-bolted to the floor and affixed with backing plates.
The Donzi makes some concessions to the present with its upholstery, which can grow uncomfortable during long stretches of cruising, particularly in rough water. It simply isn’t padded as thickly as today’s typical, Florida performance custom, nor do its front seat mounts stand up to high-demand driving in the rough. Left in its element, as a classic lake cruiser for four, the Classic’s interior feel excels.
Hardware is minimal, in keeping with the boat’s clean theme. One concession to contemporary styling: the rakish, tempered glass windshield, framed in stainless steel.
Chrome vents and cleats were effectively located, and railing was custom-cut, one-piece stainless, with matching molding and screws. The railing was a nice finishing touch.
Storage opportunities were limited for a boat of this size, and included a floor compartment (with a stubborn, gravity-mounted lid), segmented engine slots and an open space below deck, which wasn’t especially accessible. All were nicely finished, even in unexposed areas.
A full array of Faria gauges were easily read while under way and set into a dash panel that also housed the lighted rocker switches. MerCruiser controls filtered river commands, and grab railing was mounted within reach of all passenger slots.
Performance
Though the diesel Donzi won’t leave as hard as a V-8 version, its considerable low-end torque was evident from the instant we eased the throttle forward. The Yanmar throws off a smooth, solid pull, and the turbos really begin to hammer once you hit about 1,500 rpm. Between there and 3,000 rpm--which will put you into the mid-40s--our Donzi set us back into its seat with a steady, hard surge.
At low rpm, the Classic showed crisp maneuverability and was easily backed, angled and guided between the docks. It rode somewhat stern heavy throughout our test process, but particularly at low rpm--a characteristic of the engine’s longitudinal configuration and weight spread of the motor. Thus, it required significantly less "up-button" than a gas motor setup, and we maxed out at about one-third trim.
Through the midrange, the Donzi retained its control and smooth handling, showing no sign of porpoise or handling weirdness. It was easy to drive and highly responsive. Once into the midrange, it held a level attitude, though its deep-vee cut had a tendency to follow wake patterns.
The Classic’s feel became more sensitive and responsive as we pushed the Yanmar toward its 4,000-rpm peak. The combination of the Donzi’s narrow, 84-inch beam and its extreme vee cut made it search a bit, a notion that was quelled immediately with the judicious use of tab (though we’d like to have seen a set of indicators). Its ride remained extremely stable and dialed as we headed toward 60 miles per hour. Run wide open, the Donzi felt glued in, a sensation disproved by its respectable top-end number. In high-speed mode, it cut across surface chop like it wasn’t there.
The Classic reveled in high-rpm use, where its ride was most responsive to wheel play. It maintained a smooth, steady set at maximum rpm and settled into an easy, rhythmic 60-mile-per-hour cruise.
Though we noticed only traces of the diesel’s traditional signature smoke--a reduction owing to the cleaner burn of the six cylinder--there was no getting around the annoying smell of expunged diesel exhaust. Somehow it seemed out of place on the water, and it’s not too difficult to imagine the reception one might get while idling up to a crowded, high-performance haunt on a big weekend.
Another consideration worth pondering: When’s the last time you saw the telltale green handle of a diesel pump at the gas docks? Even if you can double your boating hours per tankful, as Yanmar claims, the prospect of going dock to dock, seeking diesel, is daunting.
THE BOTTOM LINE
We came away from the experience believers--not in the diesel’s ability to make a mark in any significant number in the performance ranks, but in its potential to find a niche. Distance cruisers delight in diesel, as do those with no regular access to maintenance. There’s a slice of performance boating in there somewhere, and the Yanmar MerCruiser marriage is destined to find it.
SPECIFICATIONS
Centerline length: 22'6"
Beam: 84"
Hull design: Deep-vee
Engine/drive: Yanmar HP-STZE/Bravo One
Horsepower @ prop:300
Drive ratio: 1.5:1
Prop: 23-inch Mercury Mirage Plus three-blade
Base retail price, incl. trailer: $36,903
Standard features: 7.4L MPI, stainless cleats, ski tow, stainless windshield frame, Bennett tabs, adjustable buckets.
Options on test boat: Yanmar diesel upgrade ($9,000), color/graphics ($4,654), battery switch ($129), cockpit carpet ($490), cockpit cover ($287), depth finder ($196), fire extinguisher ($296), custom upholstery ($571).
Price as-tested: $52,526
Performance
Top speed, radar: 60.1 mph
Maximum rpm: 4,000 rpm
Donzi Marine
7110 21st St. East
Sarasota, FL 34243
(941) 727-0622

RickR,GroveCity
03-27-2000, 08:27 PM
Richard Mastry built the Diesel 22 to show off the performance of the Yanmar.
She is SLOW comming out of the whole (and smokes) but once it gets rolling it cruises well. The cyclops exhaust looks weird.
If I remember correctly he said 8gph at 45mph.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>