PDA

View Full Version : Engine Questions ....LS-6.... Auto vs Marine

Stan
01-23-2002, 09:01 PM
The age-old question ( for me) is weather an auto engine will work in a boat?

The following engine is being offered to me. It has less than 25 hours on it. It was in a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air. The engine " spun a bearing on the crank" I was told all that needs to be done is to turn the crank about .10,000 and put in new bearings .10,000 over. I am not an engine guy so this doesn't mean much to me. I do know that there is more to be done, like probably tearing down the whole engine and putting it back together to clean out any little metal parts, also re-honing the cylinders and such.

The engine is supposded to be 400 hp.

They are asking $ 2500 for the engine. I know I can get it for less. I know that replacement is much more.

Question: What has to be done to make this a marine application? And is it worth it with this engine?

My Boat: 1989 22 Classic with 454/330 Mercruiser, Original Bravo 1

ENGINE-.
NEW - OUT OF CRATE LS6 454 BIG BLOCK. BALANCED & SQUARED; TRW PISTONS DEBURRED & SLICKED; STEEL CRANK WITH 7/16 ROD BOLTS & HP RODS; LS6 SOLID LIFTERS & FACTORY CAM 550 LIFT & 320 DURATION; CLOYE ADJUSTABLE TRUE RACING TIMING SET. RECTANGLE BIG PORT HEADS, PORTS & VALVE BOWLS DEBUPRF & SLICKED; COMP DUAL SPRINGS WITH DAMPERS; HP 502 ROCKER ASSEMBLY.

ENGINE ACCESSORIES.
81/2 QT. CUSTOM OIL PAN; HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP WITH CHROME MOLLY DISTRIBUATOP, ROD; COMPLETE MSD DISTRIBUATOR WITH SPARK BOX & REV LIMITER CHIP; HP TAYLOR PLUG WIRES; WEIAND ALUMINUM HIGH VOLUME WATER PUMP; HOLLY RACING FUEL PUMP WITH RUSSELL FITTINGS & DOUBLE BRADED FUEL LINES;
"OFFENHAUSER" POPT-0-SONIC INTAKE MANIFOLD; HOLLY-1850 DOUBLE PUMPER CARB WITH EXTERNAL JET CHANGING BOWLS.

Woodsy
01-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Stan...

Run away.... the bearing spun for a reason, loss of oil pressure. Who knows what else was damaged when the oil pump let go. You can find a high hour rebuildable 454 MAG (385hp) for that kind of cash, and spend about the same amount of money freshening it up. Check out the classifieds over on www.offshoreonly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com) You will find plenty of info. For $2500 you could do a pretty decent rebuild of your existing engine. Just my .02!!

Woodsy biggrin.gif

turbo2256
01-23-2002, 10:12 PM
They better do the big ends of the rods too. Guessing the cam and oil pan arent right for a boat either and with a high volume pump your old one might not be a good idea either.

Stan
01-24-2002, 11:53 PM
is that it....no other opinions ???

Stan