PDA

View Full Version : the limits of a 18......

Moody Blu'
09-26-2001, 12:35 PM
With geos boat doing 95 mph on the gps.

What do you guys think the limits of the 18' hulll is?

Obviously geo isnt supercharged, so he may hit 105?? 110?

When will this hull stop seeing a speed increase?
Sounds like the hull of all hulls. :D

If a 18 can do 95 with out a SC then what is the 22 capable of seeing, with a arneson and SC on it.

Anyone testing this theory for the winter?

Just thought id post something.... ;)

TORYSMINX
09-26-2001, 01:14 PM
I dont know on that one...

I put this 500hp sbc in my minx and I am still testing it. I say you try to find an old Pratt and whitney jet engine for that Moody blu' of yours and strap it on the back of the scoop. Kidding..

What ever happened to the engine mods that you made to the SBF and the Cherry picker how did that work? Any speed increases..

Tory

the gauges came out real nice, SKy

Ranman
09-26-2001, 01:15 PM
Here's my opinion. When these hulls were designed in the 1960's no one ever dreamed they would see the speeds GEOO is running. These hulls were never intended to break 70mph. Now with today's technology we can easily construct a combination that will grossely exceed what was ever intended. Personally, I think taking a boat that old and stuffing it with horsepower to reach 90+mph is very dangerous and borderline stupid. However, I bet GEOO himself and the other "big dogs" agree with that statement. Those guys understand that they are seriously pushing the limits (and possibly their luck). These guys are experts at what they are doing and I bet they have more respect than I have self-control for the kind of 90mph combos they are running.

Bottom line is the limit for an 18 is what it was designed for at the time it was made. 70+mph is about it. Anything past that need not be attempted by amateurs.

I would like to note that the above opinions really are geared to the boats that are 20+ years old and usually the smaller hull sizes (16 & 18). Obviously as you get newer and bigger you can go faster safer.

oldLenny
09-26-2001, 01:18 PM
I think Geoo will see another "speed increase" once he sparks the nitrous!!! :eek:

I don't know if I would be that "comfortable" about "hittting" the button when I was already doing 80+.

Moody Blu'
09-26-2001, 01:44 PM
Torysminx. the only thing I added was the spacer and I jetted the 750cfm carb.I got my friends cherry picker to install the engine. but all the work I am doing does not really improve my speed because of my prop. this weekend I may just see 60+ mph with my boat, BZMARINE is bringing some extra props to the chowder fest a 15x 22p and a bronze 15x24p I think. I have somewhere in the 16-18p on mine :( (50mph@ 5200 rpm)

ranman, I mean above and beyond the "factory speeds"
Of course this is no attempt for amateurs.
that goes without saying.

Geo engine would last longer with a SC in it. Wouldnt it?
Nitrous is definately the ticket to a quick 15mph but its not full time, only when the engine is on the button.
Sc sounds better but cost more!

TORYSMINX
09-26-2001, 02:11 PM
Sky would try that 21"" out first I think that the boat will not perform right with the 24"" and you may be disappointed with the speed. I had a 16' donzi and I had a rapture stainless on it and it ran better than any other prop I had and even was well out of the hole. I am interested to see how it works out.. Keep me posted

Tory

CDMA
09-26-2001, 02:41 PM
There are no limits....

Faster, Faster, Faster till the fear of death overcomes the thrill of speed.

Gotta love the ignorance of youth....

Chris

Moody Blu'
09-26-2001, 03:48 PM
What would the outer limits of an 18 be with a I/O?

PaulO
09-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Actually, this topic has come up before and when Brownie was asked (where has he been?) he stated that there was no limitation in the design. They simply did the best they could to create a stable fast boat and never had an intentional or realized limit.
PaulO

GEOO
09-26-2001, 05:06 PM
Len,
There are no limits. If you feel comfortable and in control then go faster. These hulls where not designed for a specific speed. They only went 60-to 70 because of the limited drives and engines available in the 60's and 70's.
My 18 will run 85 with two people and full fuel, she'll run 91-92, one person, light fuel with perfect conditions. I hit the button at 5800rpm's, 88mph; I felt my shoulders push back in to the seat, :D , with a two to three second hit of the bottle, (100hp kit),I was radar'd at 95.2. If I stayed on the button longer I'm sure I could gain 3-4 more mph. (I'm just in the tuning stage and needed to check the plugs.) ;)

Ranman,
Going fast in a small boat is not the smartest thing to do. But if you enjoy the sensation of speed, 80mph in a 18' is safer then 105 in a 30 footer, and 50 in a 10 footer would probally be the smartest. HUM maybe I'll need to get one of those inflatable racing cats!!
I my opinion any speeds can be dangerous. You need to respect the water.
When I first purchased my 18 with a AQ311 Volvo 290 (300hp) the boat was squirrelly at WOT and trimmed, 58 mph. Now the boat can cruise at 4500 rpm 70 mph with ease. Granted if you don't see that log or rouge wave you're in trouble. Or if you have a mechanical problem. Any spill is a bad spill, and a 90mph spill is much worse then a 60mph one. GEOO "Take Care" :eek:

Kent Perroux
09-27-2001, 02:31 PM
No limits...hmmmm
<Looking at the 18 Donzi, then over at the Cheif 1400 engine, the #6 drive, then back at the Donzi...>

....nahhhh

:eek:

Scott Pearson
09-27-2001, 07:37 PM
Hummm... I'm strapping a J.A.T.O (Jet Assist Take Off) rocket to mine this winter for the Lake George Dust off. I should see about 300+++MPH with in about 1/4 of a mile. Dont know how much of that 300+++MPH will be in the water but I cant wait to see. :D :D :D :D :D :D

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
09-27-2001, 07:58 PM
Scott,

How will that work with your 7 foot tall candy stripe stacks and the pink flamingo...

Chris ;) ;) ;)

GEOO
09-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Well maybe there is a limit!!! I don't think I've reached it yet!! I have a sickness.. I went 58 thought 60 would be sooooo fast; then I went 66 and though 70 would be unbelievable; next thing I'm going in the mid 70'd and wonder if 80 was possible. Every time I make a step I try and figure out how to make that next step. I would like to find one of those big radar shoot out's with fast bass boat's, v-drives and other's and let my little small block 18 Donzi run with the best of them. Road Trip!!!
I tuned the engine myself with a lap top, Well that's not all together true, Chris did help drive the boat at WOT, 70++ while I was in the engine compartment reading the fuel pressure and adjusting the regulator for the NOS. Im sure a little dyno work this winter could help??? HUM!!! Well the one good thing is I can't sell the boat now. GEOO

CDMA
09-27-2001, 09:05 PM
70++++ mph
sounds like a chainsaw massacre on water
5000+++ rpm
dry pipes
Engine hatch on rear seat
George hanging over the screaming beast
telling me to go go go

Yeah I remember that... :eek: :eek: :eek:

My hands are shaking now...what is my life insurance...

Guys what George is saying about the limits are true. There really is none. Right now I think with more power and maybe a little more rocker George could run over 100 and still be in control...

My boat runs low 60's with Volvo last year and Alpha this year. Georges boat is more in control at 85 than mine is a 60. It just is so precise and definite in it's actions. I think of course with enough power to get there mighty mouse could run, in control, to over 100 mph. What you must keep in mind though is what I saw real quick in Geoo's boat. The faster you are going the farther ahead you have to look. You jump in Geoo's boat after mine and you have to totally adjust how you drive. You have to look twice as far ahead to anticipate waves and such. I think that to me is the hardest part of driving a small boat fast...in a 47 fountain every wake isn't critical...in an 18 Donzi it is everything...

It all depends on the set up. I wouldn't drive an 18 with an outdrive past 70-75 w/o hydraulic steering and 80 with. I would drive an Arneson 18 or better yet an Arneson an an extension box 18 well past 100 without worries...

I know this sounds rash but until you experience mighty mouse it is difficult to understand...trust me

Chris

Moody Blu'
09-27-2001, 10:05 PM
I use to have a 1991 300zx twin turbo.
I've had it up to 171mph (I had to slow down fast because a car got in the lane I was in 2500ft down the lane)If I hadnt of braked when I did ,that car, which decided to get in the left lane for NO reason, would have had a 300zx underneath it.

Boat or not, it's hairy. It also puts a line between people who say they can drive and the people who know how to drive! ;)

Heck you can have a slower boat In rough water and still beat them if you know how to work the waves.
;)