PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainers 2nd try SEE PICTURE

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-23-2002, 04:57 PM
OK, I have worked my way down the winter list to Sea Strainers, I posted on this once before and only got one comment (Big Griz). And besides that, Nancy returns this weekend so I need to act while the funds are flowing! smile.gif

I have some technical questions now that I have read some more. I am waiting for a return call from Livorsi.

1. Does it go between the transom and the pump, or after the pump?
2. The hose from the drive is huge, compared o advertised strainer sizes of 1" and 1 1/4". What sixe is that hose?
3. How have you seen them mounted? I could mount mine on the surface of the step inside my engine compartment.
4. Straight thru or U? I would think U would be a bear to run the hoses.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvell09.jpg

5. WHERE exactly does it go? between _ and _?
Frank C explained to me it was before the oil cooler... sorry for the basics here but that is how I learn.

Thanks
Bryan

Shanghied Again
01-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Bryan, Usally you install a Sea Strainer after the drive right before you hit the oil cooler, before the pump. The size is usally 1" the pump hose is to large, Thats were I had it on my 22ZX. The largest hose I have ever seen before an oil cooler is 1 1/4. I will take a look at my boat now that she is under my garage tent in the yard.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Frank, your phone is about to ring!

Sam
01-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Bryan, not knowing exactly how your boat is set up you need to place the strainer between the raw water source and your pump source. To do otherwise would negate the purpose of the strainer which is to filter out debris before it meets anything mechanical. As for the hose dia, sounds like you may have to dig a bit deeper for an answer there.

Sam

BigGrizzly
01-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Bran you install right after the drive. that way it protects everything. Right in the beginning of hose '1' the hose comming ftom your drive is 1 1/4 ID 1 1/2 OD. It could be larger, the waterpump is the limiting factor Its not that big 1 1/4 ID.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-23-2002, 08:03 PM
OK, bear with me Griz, so from the transom to the pump. That is where the cut/splice goes?
I will climb in and measure OD this weekend and order.
Thanks Randy.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-23-2002, 09:13 PM
POODLE, you always make me laugh....
Nancy will be happy regardless, as long as it is good for the Donzi.

Great info on the valve.

THE HOSE is not the standard rubber like hose that is in the rest of cooling system,
it is almost like a hose with wide BLACK duct tape perfectly wrapping it! That is why
I am so miffed!
I will measure this weekend and order the strainer.
thank you all for the info.
Bryan

DONZIMAN2
01-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Bryan, It is simple, Buy one and we will install it. I will get Rip to help. Just a thought. Bob

SS18
01-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Hey Bryan,
FYI on offshoreonly classifieds there's a new strainer listed maybe It'll work! Or save some $
Jim in NJ smile.gif

BigGrizzly
01-24-2002, 10:43 PM
I did forget mention the valve --thanks poddle. I have one on all my boats. Yes just so the filter is before any thing else in the raw water hose coolers etc.

Randy

Donzigo
01-25-2002, 10:56 AM
My 2 cents. I have a strainer on the Z-25 and 2 on the Z-33. Never thought about it until the end of last summer, when I went out to the island south of St. Pete, with my son, 21 yrs old, and his buddies. We pulled up to the beach and kicked the outdrive up and proceeded to get hammered on too many Coronas. When leaving, me, 52 yrs old, wants to be cool and fire up the DONZI, and make that first loud, fast, get-a-way for all the young guys to see how it's done. Yeah, right, uhhhhhhhhh I forgot to put the drive down when I started the boat, so it dug out boo-koo sand under the boat, which went into the drive and a shell lodged in the line between drive/transom plate. I made that fast get-a-way allright, and when they all caught up with me, I was stopped with my boat at 220 degress and plenty hot. They pulled me in easily enough, and uhhhhhhhh I was sitting in the boat by myself, (my son got in his buddy's Checkmate, the towing boat), so as not to be seen with me. They're a great bunch of kids. They loved giving me the crap, but, we all laughed about it and I took them out to dinner that night, for Suschi, etc.

The bottom line: It costed me $1,000 for new gaskets, water pump, and the cost of a sea-strainer, and some other stuff. A big number for trying to be cool with the young guys with their Checkmates and Action Crafts that do over 70MPH.

I have a sea strainer, cut-off value, a "T" in the line between strainer and intake for flushing, which is pretty cool. No more putting ears on, it's all done from inside the boat. The boat runs much cooler, too. I did it just the way Mad-poodle explained it. Good luck with your project. Call, if I can help.

PS: The new/old Z-33 I just bought got strainers before I ever used the boat.