PDA

View Full Version : This is insulting

Ranman
01-23-2002, 04:46 PM
"A better boat..." I don't think so! Be sure to scroll down.

http://members.shaw.ca/gar/boat.htm

mattyboy
01-23-2002, 05:41 PM
better boat NOT! don't they have a reputation for excessive chine walking . is the U for uncontrolable tongue.gif probably not a bad boat, but not better than donzi

Matt

DONZIMAN2
01-23-2002, 05:49 PM
I guess if you can't buy the best, they need to shop the rest. GO DONZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sagbay32
01-23-2002, 06:41 PM
I say we all email him and invite him to see the Better Boat! biggrin.gif

marcdups
01-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Mike I am on my way, will E- mail him, wonder why OMC no longer exists eek.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif eek.gif

HP 600SC
01-23-2002, 07:26 PM
I feel sorry for him! He bought a cheep copy
and is trying to beleive that it is not a piece
of CRAP. So if it's so great then why is he selling it? Guess you get what you pay for.....
EH? EH?

oldLenny
01-23-2002, 07:46 PM
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif ...Not the same IS right. I am still in awe that "where I live" finally made it on the WWW. This is down the road from me. There are about 3 of these here that are NEW and have been for sale since about '98. They are still for sale. The boat does NOT compare to a Classic,...period. If it did, I would have one and it would be a 15 minute drive to get it. One of the "ugly parts" of these is the way they roll the transom into the gunwales along the sides. Not a Donzi thing. These boats don't sell well here 'cuz they have a very limited appeal to a small group of people. They have to be DRIVEN', properly and with confidence and if anyone hasn't noticed, we live on the OCEAN and it's a "big water" playground!!!

This is another person that probably scared himself or couldn't get anyone to enjoy it with him. He's not alone. I know of another one (16) here, a copy, that has a 350 MAG but the fellow won't use it 'cuz it chine walked and scared him to death. It is now slowly turning into a planter.

Classic 16's, Sweet Sixteens', Donzi Baby's and Ski Sporters. Nothing else but. Enough said here.

There is an unending desire (for those that know) to own THE REAL THING. I know this feeling better than anyone, (I think).

Think I'll look on Ebay for pictures and information on the U-17 and all the history behind them and stuff about Don Aronow racing them and how sought after they are rolleyes.gif and all the people of nautical importance and offshore racing HISTORY that contibuted to this timeless classic. blah,blah,blah.
Why would someone want to brag about the fact that it is "quiet"?. I don't see any thru-hull exhaust. Seems to me that I passed up on a real '93 18 that had no thru-hull down in Seattle. Other than the Chris Craft thing and the OMC thing, all I really remember was Jeff (Blewbyyou) telling me that I wouldn't be "allowed" to play with the "Big Dogs" without thru-hull.

$16,000 US, ($25,00 CAN)? Seems to me if I type in $16,000US into boat trader online and search under keyword "donzi" and a range of 16-18 feet I can find about 20 "DREAMS come True" of the real thing for less.

Yikes eek.gif ...some people rolleyes.gif

marcdups
01-23-2002, 07:48 PM
Cannot wait for Mr DONZI wannabe's response biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

harbormaster
01-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Guys please, Please. Just let it drop.

You have nothing to prove or gain by contacting the gentleman. He is a boater who is proud of his boat.

If it is better than a Donzi, then be happy that 4 winns had to copy a donzi to make a better boat.

You have to admit... It is a pretty boat.

marcdups
01-23-2002, 08:55 PM
yes Scot, will think about a little deeper next time, my appologies, marc

Formula Jr
01-23-2002, 09:11 PM
"One of the "ugly parts" of these is the way they roll the transom into the gunwales along the sides. Not a Donzi thing." Hey!!!! Hey!!! Slap! Slap! Mind your elders!. biggrin.gif

kids, this was TOO BE your post Genth Donzi. U-17s and 19s ARE your potential distant kin. Dick didn't want any of you. Just because step-dad (OMC) was an abusive drunken fool, doesn't mean you can't embrace your step cousins. wink.gif

By and by the "real" thing isn't aronow. It's Wynne. It's Walters. It's Brown. It's Leevy. It's Hunt. Its a thousand people, saying a thousand words, drawing a thousand lines - some of which worked. Don drew stuff on napkins till the Cigs. Wynne, Walters, Brownie had to make it real. They created this, Don just got some great rides. And broke most of them. Aronow was the ultimate "Test" pilot. Nobody but Knocky wanted to ride with him. Cause he would just crash on thru, flip the boat - what ever. But he did't design formula, donzi or magnum. What we revere are the boats he could not crack. And THAT made for a better boat. The U boats are just as connected to the thread as my JR. Both not - but, just could have been - donzi.

Barry Phillips
01-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Harbormaster is right leave the guy alone.
I don't like it either the windshield looks
cheap, the dash board is silly. I can't see from
his motor compartment shot but I bet thier
isn't any L brackets through bolted to the
stringers. I did read a test on a U19 several
years ago and they did compare it to a
Classic 18 . I think it was in Powerboat and
they remarked that at 65mph the 18 did not
need tab ajustment, the U19 leaned to one
side and needed the tabs to keep it stable.
I also recall them saying " why own a copy
when you can have the real thing".

Anyway I do not see any Uboat owners clubs
or web sites. Dose 4Winns still make these
things. They cost as much as a Donzi in 94
and I bet they do not have the same resale.
I think the guy has enought problems.
SO-SLO

PS the term Uboat kind of fits

marcdups
01-23-2002, 10:44 PM
I certainly did not trash the guy and his response to my mail was very to the point,and also said that the boat was not really for sale due to the price, but he seemed to be a very down to earth guy and loves his boat as much as I do believe we do.

Marc

Shanghied Again
01-24-2002, 04:37 AM
They dropped that line, And Scott is right the guy is trying to compare the boat to a Donzi hopeing some poor guy like him would take the boat thinkimg the same thing he did! Wow a Donzi looking boat for less money! (Not) There is only one Donzi and there reputation is hard to copy!

Formula Jr
01-24-2002, 05:21 AM
way-on-a-deez-daayzz, summmbooodiy gooona pullzup syidz yall inzza twoooofour boootruummm paulltop.
annnnnnnz yallz izzz goooonnna sazzzz, loooouuuucccckkkyyy hair yallzz, izzza a dooonzi calllapyyy. Hua Hua......

Really Guys. It can't be a copy if it was developed by the company that owned donzi at the time - now can it. You should be wondering why Donzi never mated a Duo prop to such a small boat. I'll bet it handles like a dream.

And before ya'll climb those high horses, consider this 17 footer. By god! It's a REAL DONZI. All 3 liters of it.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell654.jpg frown.gif

Ranman
01-24-2002, 07:42 AM
Harbormaster, Didn't mean to get out of hand with this, I just wanted to have a little fun with the folks on this site. I think the "U" boats are somewhat attractive, but that's probably because they do look very much like a Donzi. I still consider them a cheap imitation though regardless of ownership and heritage. Lastly, I find it amusing that he seriously compared the "U" to an actual Donzi. It just indicates to me that he is misinformed and I thought some others would get a kick out of that page.

Somebody was bound to run across it...

Rootsy
01-24-2002, 07:52 AM
I don't know where he is coming up with those dollar figures... 19995.00 for a 2001 16 classic w/ 305 as of last summer here in southern michigan...

Formula Jr
01-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Yes the guy is off market. It's worth at best 12K. But what do you expect from someone that obviously loved the boat and took care of it. That Duo Volvo alone- is replacement cost at 10K.

Sagbay32
01-24-2002, 05:27 PM
I have always liked four Winns Boats. I grew up on 'em . I am looking for a cruiser as we speak and it will probably be a Four Winns.

I remember the first time I saw a U-boat.I thought it was a very sharp looking boat. That was before I became part of the "Donzi Family".

I was not promoting harassment on this individual. I was simpky reacting to the
mine is better than yours statement. I look at it like the Ford vs Chevy thing. It is all in fun.

Sorry if anyone thought I was being impolite.

Blewbyu
01-24-2002, 07:40 PM
Formula Jr-That "3Litre" boat looks like a Wellcraft clone with a Searay windshield that someone made 2 ft too short by mistake.Proud Donzi!!!
Jeez-I was hoping you would miss that remark about the stern tumblehome......but nooooo!Ya do have 2 years "seniority" on him tho.

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

clayman
01-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Well, I have to admit, I was looking at one of these boats before I bought my Donzi. I knew nothing about any of these boats, or the heritage. But because of my investigation into the boats, and this awesome website, and quickly learned that a DONZI was the boat for me, not only because of it being very well built, resale, and style, but because of this family here always ready to give good advise, and help when you can, thanks guys for all your help the last few months.
James

oldLenny
01-24-2002, 09:03 PM
"One of the "ugly parts" of these is the way they roll the transom into the gunwales along the sides. Not a Donzi thing." Hey!!!! Hey!!! Slap! Slap! Mind your elders!. "

FJ...no no no. I DO respect my elders, and I was not pointing a finger at yur boot with my comment
on the radiused transom that I think is ugly. YOU'RE talking "tumblehome transom"...I'm talking this... http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/5/1538675.htm
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749706/1618629_5.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749706/1618629_6.jpg

Note the radius at the transom. Oh, and both lift strakes go all the way back. Also, there is no hook in these boats and they appear to have a "negative sculpted chine near the stern". I am sure all of these things put together is what gives you the "U"

Your boat has "hard corners" still at the transom. Your boat has a radius on the rear deck, that meets the gunwales. Not a rounded transition from transom to hullsides.
http://www.donzi.net/hull/unk_osaffell/img015.jpg
biggrin.gif

Formula Jr
01-25-2002, 07:11 AM
To each his own. I kinda like the rounded corners, gives the boat a very sculpted look.

Kinda like trying to decide who is prettier,

Jeri Ryan or Cathy Bell. Don't think I'd turn down a ride in either one.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sagbay32
01-25-2002, 10:06 AM
I'd say No problem.........Donzi and Jeri Ryan biggrin.gif

bverd
01-25-2002, 02:46 PM
A buddy of mine has one of the U19 boats. He publically states that he loves my Donzi more, but his U19 is a nice boat. And yes, I have been in the boat when he has stood it on it's side and if you don't know what is coming it can really get your heart pumping. This guy knows how to drive so he doesn't have issues with the boat. But to the inexperienced driver I would be worried. --Brad

Sagbay32
01-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Is the Duoprop similar to the bravo 3 and what is the benefit to 2 props.......and which is better?

blackhawk
01-27-2002, 05:39 PM
I hate to say this, but all of you would be surprised at the performance of that boat. My friend had a 96 U-17 and now has a 96 U-19, both with duo-prop. Both have an amazing holeshot/mid-range acceleration and are fast as hell. They do chine walk a little but it's no big deal(kinda fun, actually) and only in calm water. I have been in his 19 in Lake Michigan in 3-5 footers and the boat ate them up. I realize that it is basically a "copy" and I am not saying the quality is as high as a Donzi, but it is a damn nice boat that is faster that most stock 16 and 18 Classics out there. Again, don't get me wrong, I love my Donzi. But, the U boats are a nice handling, fast boat that will handle rough water very well for a reasonable price. Plus, the Volvo drive package seems to be bullet proof!