PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic

fobes
09-25-2001, 06:15 PM
Looking for opinions on the 22 with the Blackhawk, will it really do over 80mph? I had a 20' Minx and it was awesome in rough water so I can only imagine the 22 is even better, opinions. Tks: Fobes

Formula Jr
09-25-2001, 08:08 PM
Appearently there are two versions of the blackhawk. There is the rocker hulled boat with the blackhawk drive and there is a 22 classic, bravo I with Blackhawk detailing.

75 is a more realistic number unless there were engine mods. Only 40 were made between 95 and 9 7. :D

Edited by Formula Jr: Edited on 10-1-01

Lewis
10-01-2001, 09:40 AM
I dont want to sound stupid but what is a rocker hull??

Ranman
10-01-2001, 10:23 AM
Boat hull bottoms can have curvatures in them from front to back. These curvatures called "hook" and "rocker" change the handling of the boat. The Blackhawk is a surface type drive that was offered by MerCruiser for a short time. Although their are advantages to surface drives, the Blackhawk drive has a checkered history at best. They are rare, expensive and possibly volatile (reliability may be an issue). When Donzi made the Blackhawk 22's, with Blackhawk surface drives, they used a special mold that included a rocker in the hull. The special rocker hull augmented the performance of the surface drive. Near the end of the Blackhawk years, Donzi made Blackhawk 22's without the surface drive. They used a Bravo One (eg Chris White aka Freeplay's boat) and consequently they used the "standard" hull mold.

TD
10-01-2001, 10:43 AM
I rode in a 97 Blackhawk just yesterday that has a Blackhawk drive. so Formula Jr. you may want to adjust the list. As a matter of fact, the picture on your list is that 97 Blackhawk, which is the one the shed fell on up in New Hampshire. Just a clarification for the records!!!! ;)

Shanghied Again
10-01-2001, 06:45 PM
I raced a few 22 Blackhawks, The one in bayville has a 502 and he runs topped out at 75mph. He thought he was doing 81 according to his speedo but when I took him out he wanted to know his true speed after I said I ran 79 gps. He ran 74.8mph gps full out at 5250rpm. speedo was pinned at 82mph. Nice running boat solid ride and what a thrill compared to my Zx, Lower to the water always gives you more of a thrill!

BigGrizzly
10-02-2001, 12:22 AM
Lets get the Blackhawk thing right! There were only 40 made. All had gold trim and Blackhawk drives 502 with rocker hulls. The rocker hull did drift into some non Blackhawk boats as did the drive also. These however were not Blackhawk Donzis. There has been at least one that I know of that had the 502 and drive changed to a 454 and a Bravo and one that kept the 502 and changed the drive to a Bravo (owner hated the low speed handeling).

Randy

Formula Jr
10-02-2001, 01:22 AM
So Randy, you are saying there are no factory production, non-rocker hulled, Non-502 powered, Non Blackhawk drive Blackhawk boats EVER made by Donzi? ... I'm laughing as I type this.......Sorry Freeplay........

Lewis
10-02-2001, 07:11 AM
I own a 96 Blackhawk that does not have gold trim.My boat has red, yellow, and black graphics. It also does not have a Blackhawk drive because I changed it to a bravo one the reliability was not good on the blackhawk although the boat would get into the mid 80s(according to the speedo). The boat still has a 502. Does anyone know how a shorty lower unit would work on this boat?

DonziSalesNY
10-02-2001, 02:48 PM
Anyone looking for a BlackHawk edition Donzi? I can hook you up with a 1996 Limited edition with "10" hours on it. It has been stored indoors in climate controlled condition. Boat is Mint, Showroom condition. Email me for pics if interested. mailto:islanderboatctr@cs.comislanderboatctr@cs.co m</A>

DonziSalesNY
10-02-2001, 02:53 PM
By the way, the "Limited Edition" Blackhawk was the one with limited production. It had Blackhawk grapics and gold hardware. There were more built with the 502/Blackhawk drive package, however. Typically went out with the red/yellow/black "geometric" graphics (overlayed triangles).

BigGrizzly
10-02-2001, 07:49 PM
Jr. That is what I am saying. The Blackhawk was a limited edition with a 502 Blackhawk drive gold plated trim and graphice and ONLY 40 were made, and I am not laughing. Like I said Some rockers were made and some black hawk drives were put on some straigh and some rockers but they were NOT Blackhawk editions. A Blackhawk is a special edition. Just because it a classic has a blackhawk drive doesn't mean it is a Blackhawk Edition. My Criterion is 22 feet long but it isn't a 22 clasic. My Corsican is a 18 but it isn't a 18 classic , nor is it a X18. Get the point.
BTW the gold harware plating would come off easily. some people would replace the hardwar with regular stuff and keep it off the boat. I almost bough a new one the wife wanted the lake house instead. I'm glade I listened to her.

Randy

blackhawk
10-04-2001, 10:48 PM
BigGrizzly is right. There were only 40 blackhawk "editions" made. There were other blackhawk boats but they were not the blackhawk "edition". I have a 1995 Donzi Classic with the blackhawk drive and the rocker hull. The fastest I have seen is 78.6 on the GPS and that was only once. I replaced the short K-planes with a set of 280's this year and it seems to have slowed me down just a touch. 76.2 was the fastest this year. Definitely a fast and loose ride. It will be faster next year. Any suggestions? :D

Ranman
10-05-2001, 09:15 AM
Grizz, Explain Freeplay's boat. It sure as hell looks like a Limited Edition Blackhawk boat to me but with no Mercruiser Blackhawk surface drive. Even says "Black Hawk" Right on the side. Is his one of the 40 or not?

PaulO
10-05-2001, 01:01 PM
Lewis,
If yours is one of the hulls that has the rocker, than the Imco shortie has a good chance of working well. You don't know for sure until you try it but, most likely you will see a speed increase.
PaulO

HP 600SC
10-05-2001, 09:33 PM
My Imco 2" extreme lower work's GREAT on
my 2000 22 classic! 5 MPH better to be exact.
Ted M. http://www.donzi.net/photos/Mvc-LTM.jpg

Shanghied Again
10-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Ted. I am having my bravo switched to a Imco convertion and shortened by 2 inches. Also adding 200 more hp over the top, Motor is out for a complete overhaul, looking at Kiekiefer K planes and a top speed of 90-95 with 710hp next spring. I want to see how far a 22ZX goes before she chine walks. She didn't at 80 but the big K planes should keep her from walking.

HP 600SC
10-05-2001, 09:58 PM
Frank, Good luck.....let me know how you make out. Do you still have those seats for sale? My friend is looking for a set.

BigGrizzly
10-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Can't tell you about Chris Whit's in the registry it is listed as a 18 and no pictures. Look I have done the research. I wanted to buy one. I still have the origonal mag add Plus I talked to the Donzi Officinado who owns one and all the blueprints. I do know there are 22 with blackhawk decales that are mot Blackhawks, I was going to do the same thing with a older Classic, but didn't buy it. There is also at least @ Blackhawks that had the drive removed. And one that ended up with the whole 502/blackhawk taken out(too bad). If you don't beleive me thats OK. I no longer want the Blackhawk. I have a more rare, unique and faster boat. Also it ended up being cheaper.

Randy

Shanghied Again
10-06-2001, 11:31 AM
Ted, There still up in my attic, My son wants to put them in his bullet but they dont fit To Big for his use. Let me know, I have never posted them for sale, only because if I ever sold the boat I would have the stock seats, But I don't think I am going to sell her. I am investing to much money in her.

Shanghied Again
10-06-2001, 11:33 AM
Ted. Do you have the big trim tabs on yours? And if you do. Does it make the boat feel like she is bigger and not bang as much? I am looking at 24 Kiekeifers.

HP 600SC
10-06-2001, 01:22 PM
BigGrizzly is correct...I am friends with
Bryant Neidilspeil who is THE engineer at
Donzi and he own's a BlackHawk that he built
new at the factory....Randy is correct! http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/tongue02.gif

Frank, my 22 has the mini electric K-planes
smaller than the 240's but bigger than the
benetts. No banging going on here.....at
least where the boat is concerned. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy07.gif

Ranman
10-08-2001, 04:21 PM
Check Out Chris Whites boat in the "Donzi Boats for Sale" He claims it's #36 of 40. Someone must have replaced the 502/Blackhawk drive or something.
Hey Chris, you might want to look into the history of your boat as it is either a look-alike or has possibly been modified from original. Either way, you might want to find out the real story as it relates directly to the value of your boat.

Blackhawk (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000162)

blackhawk
10-08-2001, 04:37 PM
Frank, I replaced my original K-planes(150's, I think) with 280's this year and it made a HUGE difference in stability at high-speed, especially in cross-chop. I wish I would have done it a long time ago!

Shanghied Again
10-08-2001, 06:03 PM
Thanks. I will be putting them on this year with the Extra HP. I need a little more length so she doesn't walk away at Hi speed