PDA

View Full Version : 1996 27ZX or 1997 27ZX?

Mr.Gov'nt
09-25-2001, 11:16 AM
I am considering buying a 1996 27ZX or a 1997 27ZX the first year for the step bottom. Can anyone tell me what the difference in the ride and the handeling etc. will be. I boat in the Chesapeak Bay and it does get rough. What are the pros & cons?

mattyboy
09-25-2001, 11:27 AM
welcome Mr Gov't,
I'm not the expert, but here's what I know
stepped boat boats put more air under the hull making them faster but that also makes em a little squirrely when turning but the rides and handling are supposed to be excelent, there are members here that can give you more info on the zx hull, there's one on my lake 26zx with twin 350's it runs in the mid 80's and his ride is alot smoother then my 16 trying to keep up with him.
The members here are great and will have a great deal of knowledge for you.

mr. Gov't ???????
Is this for some kind of black ops?? that would be rush, a donzi river attack boat twin 50 cal, rocket launcher, or how bout a ZT boat??? ZT109! :eek:
hey Mike Miller are you listening!

Welcome again

Dr. Dan
09-25-2001, 06:42 PM
Mr."G", Welcome Aboard! Frank C. is "The" resident expert on the step hull here, check out some of the posts by him and also Bryan Tuvell, both have experience in handling characteristics of these hulls, Bryan had some advanced lessons earlier this year! Welcome again...Doc :D

Shanghied Again
09-25-2001, 08:01 PM
The 27 ZX handles well a good rough water boat. The only problem is its a sinle engine 27 ft boat that has a habit of chine walking slightly. Thats why the 28ZX that is almost the same boat and comes with twin 350s or Scorpion small blocks. They found out this equals the boat ride and dosn't chine walk. The step hull is faster, Just becareful in the turns never trim down and never take a sharp turn with a step bottom. You will feel like a jet skier getting thrown around 360%. I prefer the step for the comfort of the ride and how she feels like there is a blanket under you wile hitting the rough stuff. The Donzi is a hi quality boat with a good resale. I have a 22 ZX step and my brother in law has the 1997 27 ZX with the step. I taught him how to drive the boat. Good luck with your purchase'
Frank Civitano :D