PDA

View Full Version : First run

TORYSMINX
09-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Well I got this 383 stroker running the other day after a long time of making brackets etc. She ran good having the 500 or so ponies behind her. I do not have any GPS speeds at the moment. I ran 59mph @ 3900 rpm(vdo gauge). It throttled up smooth but for some reason it did not throttle past 4200rpm. I think that I did not adjust the throttle arm correctly cause it should run a lot higher than that. Thats not a big thing to fix

For some reason on the way back I noticed a rocker tick so I shut her down and guided home. I think that one of the rockers must have some play but I thought with the full roller setup that this is a once done deal... I guess not!

I am not overly pertrified yet since I was not lambasting the motor. I will fix it tommorrow. Quick question: If the throttle
thing is correct what should I do to get some more rpm cause the motor should spin easy to 5500. I have the proper prop so i think (23'). I think the timing is good but I will have to play with that. Overall I think the project went well but there are some things I would do different. Thanks
for all the help that all of you gave me and thank Scott for such a great site..

Tory

Moody Blu'
09-25-2001, 01:22 AM
What kind of cam did you get?
Some cams have a certain amount of advance. at TDC mine has 5 degrees advance.
I played with the timing alot to get the sweet spot.
what kind of rockers are you using?
Ive read that roller motors need alot of attention at first. make sure you didnt crack anylock nuts on the rockers from overtightening them!

Good luck with that stroker!
I hope you see some high 70 mph runs with it!

GEOO
09-25-2001, 12:32 PM
Tory,
I need some more information, Drive Type and gear ratio. Thanks GEOO

TORYSMINX
09-25-2001, 01:31 PM
The motor is a 385 cu in stroker with Pro action ported and polished 2.02heads. These have for now the pro form roller rockers and comp cams roller lifters with the double springs.

I have it at 28 deg at tdc on the timing and it seemed to run pretty good. But i may be way off. the drive is the alpha one with the 1.5 deg ratio running a 23' stainless prop.

It is raining right now so I may tackle the project tommorrow. GEOO I think this prop is the right size for this motor it gives great response. Did your rocker arms ever loosen up? I freaked that I could have done some damage but then I thought less of it becuase I really was not pushin the thing. It is pretty hard to bend those hardened pushrods!

Thanks for everyones help..

Tory

Forrest
09-25-2001, 02:54 PM
Make sure that you use to correct procedure to tighten poly-locks, else they will back off . . . and you can easily bend hardened pushrods when they the get so loose that they fall out of the rocker arm. Also, the lifter will come out of the lifer bore as well.

Here is the correct procedure for tightening poly-locks (http://www.pontiacpower.com/faqs6.htm).

As for it not turning up enough RPMs. Running your timing at 28-degrees BTDC my be a little low, even with the fast-burn heads. You probably need have it around 32, but I wouldn't go any higher - at least for now. Any higher may be too much and actually hurt your top end since you are using a fast-burn type combustion chamber. Are you using hyperutectic or forged pistons? Fast burn heads (generally have heart shaped chambers) don't require as much total timing as standard chambers. Hyperutectic pistons tend to reduce total timing requirments as well.

Also, did you degree-in your camshaft? Probably not a biggie if you didn't, but it does remove any uncertainty in the area of camshaft timing.

TORYSMINX
09-25-2001, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the tech tip Forrest!

I thought it was difficult to bend those pushrods but I stand corrected and I am listening closely. I will bring the advance up a little and play with that for now. I will use the tech article when I do this for the rockers.

The pistons are hypertonic(sp?)and I am running forged rods. I have a few questions for the builder cause I am a now a little more concerned that one of these rockers came undone. I will bring the article but then again I do not want to add insult to injury. I plan on changing the gear oil this weekend and plan on babying that alpha. I think I am running on borrwed time. But then again I am laying pretty easy on it...

Tory

trying for that loved 70 mph mark!

GEOO
09-25-2001, 08:59 PM
Tory,

1.5 gear 4200rpm with 15% slip should be 52 mph. 5200rpm=65mph. I would think she would go around 60-65mph. Are you getting enough air? Fuel? Clean bottom? GEOO

mehaynes
09-26-2001, 07:29 PM
Are you running points or elec. pickup in the dist. If points check gap and dwell. Good luck.

TORYSMINX
09-27-2001, 08:50 AM
I am running the Pro Billet distributer by MSD and there 7-AL2 box behing it. when I did the first run up to 3900 or so I had three people over 200lbs and a full tank of gas. I am waiting to get it out this weekend to see what it will do by myself.
I think i am going to put up the timing to about 31 deg and advance the ignition to see if that helps.
GEOO if the thing only goes 60-65 mph I think I will put a supercharger on it :D

I am hoping to hit 70 and I am hoping that this could be achieved and anything more is just bonus. If I were to do it over again I may have thought about a big block but I like the SBC alot.

Thanks
Tory

searching for that loved 70 mark :eek: :eek:

GEOO
09-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Tory,
Sound like a nice engine, those Pro head flow real well!!!. I ran a built 383ci in my 18, she ran around 70. Your boat is a litle heavier and your engine sound alittle more powerfull. What cam do you have? GEOO

TORYSMINX
09-28-2001, 08:13 AM
I am running a custom made Comp cams roller cam shaft with 223 duration and like a little over 500 lift. I will have to check on the sheet. I got the Pro form roller lifters and the comp cams magnum double springs.

I topped it off with a port matched victor jr. and a 750 edelbrock that I am still tweaking. I just set the advance to kick in at 1800-1900 rpm on the dist and that was one of the problems with the thing not revving as high I think. I had to bump the timing up to around 31 deg or better.

Question GEOO: What are your timing specs? Dont go over 34 deg for me?. One of the rocker arms cam out of adjustment so I re-speced three of them and hopefully no more ticking. I will let you guys know how she goes this weekend.

Thanks
Tory

Randy Hibbard
09-29-2001, 01:39 PM
Hey Tory, great to see you got her running. As far as your rpm all I can say is do'nt allways trust what that VDO guage is reading. Mine used to read close to 4500 at 62mph. Now after a few engine mods, and the stainless exhast, she's to the point of getting very loose at 65 on the speedo and reads only 4500! I would guess our tachs are inaccurate along with the speedo. Did you notice your boat rides different without those heavy manifolds in back? Let us know how the 750 is working for you. I think the manifolds helped to lean out that carb some. Goodluck on the fine tune.

TORYSMINX
10-01-2001, 08:34 AM
Well I re-did the rockers using the tech tip and I still got the lifter noise. I am taking it over to the engine builder this week.

I ran her this week up at the lake and I guess I was runnin real rich cuase there was some black soot on the transom. She ran good I had filled her up and had 3 people aboad and I got her to read on the gauges 73. Not bad and she really was not runnin the best.

Well back to the drawin board for some more tweaking.

Tory

GEOO
10-01-2001, 08:54 AM
Troy,
My engine liked 35 to 36 timing on the dyno. But I run her at 34 degree's to be alittle on the safe side. I control the timing with a lap top computor, I've tried cheanging the timing from 30 to 35 and did not notice a big difference. But, I have a large solid rooler cam (258, 264 with .648 & .667 lift) and run the engine a little rich 12.2:1 A/F. You real don't gain alot more power by advancing the timing 4-6 degrees' (10-15hp) and you increase the chance of detonating. If you run at 28-30 degree's and you get get bad fuel, a clogged water pick up, clogged fuel filter etc. you're not on the edge and your engine will have a chance of surviving. GEOO