PDA

View Full Version : Help with water drainage

Steve Smith
03-20-2000, 04:19 PM
Hello all.

I'm a new member from Alabama and have a question regarding my '88 Z-25. Please forgive me if this post seems unintelligible--I know a lot about boats in general, but am not overly sophisticated in particulars.

My question involves the drain holes under the rear seat. I ASSUME that water should drain into these holes, then into the bilge and pumped out w/ pumps.

My problem is that the last time I had the boat out and was cleaning it up, a lot of water went in and not much came out. Where did it go? Could the drains to the bilge become clogged and, if so, how would I clear this?

When I bought the boat (June of '98), it had been stored on the trailer and did not have the front elevated, thus I had some water in the area at the rear of the cuddy. Also, a lot of the wood under the inspection plate in front has rotted. Could this all be clogging the drains?

Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated. I'm running 62 to 63 mph @ WOT by the speedo, so I don't feel like the hull is waterlogged, but I do have some water in the bilge at all times, despite storing the boat on a lift.

------------------
Steve Smith
Cullman, AL
scsmith@hiwaay.net

GEOO
03-20-2000, 05:21 PM
Steve,
Welcome Aboard.
I'm not too familiar with your boat. Some boats have drainage holes with tubes attached so the water drains to the bottom of the bilge. If you have access to an air compressor try blowing out the drains if not put the hose on the hole and try and flush it out. Find out where the water goes!! GEOO

Bandit
03-20-2000, 05:56 PM
Steve,

I had the same problem with my boat. Mine has two drain holes on each side in the back and I noticed it wasn't draining properly one day when I was cleaning it up.

It was on my trailer and I had the garden hose inside the boat scrubbing her down and after a little while I started wondering where all that water was going because I didn't hear it coming out the back (had the plug out).

I looked in the cuddy and it wasn't coming up in there so I got an old reliable coat hanger and entered the drain holes from inside the bildge area. After a couple pokes, the water shot out cleaning most of the trash out.

The water seemed to be standing between the bildge area and the cuddy.

------------------
Bandit...

Stan
03-20-2000, 06:45 PM
RE: 1990 18 2+3

On my classic I have that molded slot in the front of my boat on the floor...I guess for ski's. Whats under it ?? Can I drill a drain hole without causing the boat to sink ?Or costing me $$$ to fix a screw up ?

kevin
03-20-2000, 07:21 PM
you CAN DRILL THERE BUT LOOK OUT BELOW (FUEL TANK) IF IT IS THE SAME LAY OUT AS MY 16 CLASSIC BUT THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM
Originally posted by Stan:
RE: 1990 18 2+3

On my classic I have that molded slot in the front of my boat on the floor...I guess for ski's. Whats under it ?? Can I drill a drain hole without causing the boat to sink ?Or costing me $$$ to fix a screw up ?

Emmo
03-20-2000, 10:41 PM
Welcome fellow Alabamian. We have several in our midst and are planning to get together again on Labor Day at Lake Eufaula with some of the Floridians. For details on last year's get together, check out http://www.emmette.com/donzi.htm and click on the Labor Day pictures link. Where do you keep your boat? Although I live in Montgomery, I keep the Mello Yello at my house on the Warrior River (mile 375.2 at Little Shoals Creek). You are welcome to come down and take a cruise. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>