PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Options

Rootsy
09-23-2001, 09:35 AM
Well the itch has returned, i must be bored. Thinking about slipping a new camshaft between the pistons of the sbc this winter. I just don't quite know what grind to use. I know a lot of you out there have tried A LOT of different grinds. I have a roller in the motor already so i will stay that route and replace the cam and springs. I saw Comp makes a few more mild grinds in the 260 to 280 duration range... 470 to 510 lift. what can i go for gross lift before i reach the pistons with my valves? i'm not replacing my heads or exhaust so going too BIG is of no value since breathing ability is limited. i don't want to go sucking water back either... if anyone has suggestions i am all ears.

Moody Blu'
09-24-2001, 11:22 AM
Doesnt the rule of thumb state that you should replace lifters if you swap the cam?
you could have premature wear on the cam if you use worn lifters.

I've been itching to get my extra set of 351w heads sent out and worked. ;)

ALLAN BROWN
09-24-2001, 01:48 PM
If you have aftermarket (freebreathing) manifolds and pipes, you can't go more than 224 degrees duration @.050" lift with standard (short) risers. Otherwise, you will hoover out the lake while you are idling.

mikev
09-24-2001, 03:22 PM
I wonder if that hold true for through the prop exhaust. I am looking at a GM cam for my 4.3 v6 the lift is .447/.447 and duration is .222/.222 at .050 i havent decided to swap the cam or just go with 1.6 ratio rockers that would give me about .430 lift but i am not sure what the factory duration would be. also sky blu you always replace lifters when you do a cam swap.

Rootsy
09-24-2001, 06:03 PM
always replace the lifters with a flat tappet cam... you can get away without replacing with a roller cam... the lifters don't wear and the lobes are flat all the way across...

Thanks for that tidbit of info Brownie. I have stock production merc manifolds, center riser, thru hulls. wish i had a nice set of stainless marine.. just not quite ready to drop that kinda dough i guess....