PDA

View Full Version : Help... Deck Cracking 22 classic

cummins
01-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Has anyone experienced gel coat cracking around windshield on there 22 classic? If so... is it something to worry about? confused.gif
thanx
cummins

Dr. Dan
01-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Well I'm sure someone has cracks in their 22's, however in general, if it's cracking in the outside corners of the windshield (interior or exterior) to the wind shield, this is a common area for stress cracks from running in the rough! Not necessarily tied to this hull, just V bottoms in general. If you're seeing cracks mid way in front of windshield along the front outside, it's likely that some rotund Nutri-System candidate was not all that gentle at stradling the windshield to get out front to tie it up! They need to step out away from the windshield and use the interior side for weight bearing if need be, that's where it's strength is structurally. I have a '93 22 Classic, and I can tell you where every hairline and @#$%* is on it, just don't ask me about the Drive Cover and Jet Skiers!... biggrin.gif ...Doc

NeedSpeed
01-23-2002, 12:05 AM
I don't have a 22 Classic, but do have a 26ZX with windshield. Got cracks on most of the bolt holes that start on cockpit side of windshield and continue under the shield and on to the deck. Some are over 4" long. Fiberglass man thinks bolt holes were drilled too small. They look like hell. Other than that, boat is sweet.

BTW-I don't run it in the "rough stuff". Waves aren't real big where I boat.

cummins
01-23-2002, 07:04 AM
Thanx guy's...I'm here that it is related not pre-drilling the holes. Who mounts the windshields the factory or dealer? It sounds like more cosmetic i.e.) gel coat and not Structural?? Anymore thought??? biggrin.gif

Dr. Dan
01-23-2002, 07:43 AM
Just watch them and see if they grow, I have some spider lines in a couple areas, and they are not growing, looks bad if you look close, but not a structural worry. If you see a complete transfer to the other side of the surface of the crack(underneath inside/topside of ski rack area)then you might have more reason to be concerned. Also keep an eye on motor mount areas in your engine bay, lots of torque and stress from weight, easy to ignore(outta sight, outta mind). Repairs or re-geling,others such as Scott VanGogh Pearson and CDMA can contribute(as well as many others), good Luck... wink.gif ...Doc

RickSE
01-23-2002, 09:22 AM
I had my windshield off two years ago and noticed several gel coat cracks starting from the screw holes. Before putting the windshield back on I countersunk all the holes in an effort to stop or slow down the crack propagation.

jwright
01-23-2002, 04:29 PM
I agree with the other posts, probably not a problem. Gel coat is pigmented resin but without fiberglass reinforcent, so it often cracks before the laminate does. Corners are always a point of stress concentration too.
I have seen big offshores (38 scarabs etc...) that have kinks in the rubrail by the front of the cockpit from the whole boat flexing where the fore deck ends. Now that indicates that the boat is flexing alot!

RickR
01-23-2002, 06:12 PM
After I bought my 1995 22, I took off ALL the hardware (including seats,helm and engine. Burnished and sealed the holes and reinstalled with the correct caulk.
If you want your Donzi to last for 10 or 20 years don't worry about it. But if you want her to last a lifetime put her togeather correctly!

NeedSpeed
01-23-2002, 06:28 PM
RickR...What is the correct caulk? My "white" caulking turned a yellowish color after the 1st season.