PDA

View Full Version : Volvo vs. Mercruiser

superhatz
03-17-2000, 09:33 PM
I'm "saving" for an 18 2+3 and would like some opinions and facts about the differences between volvo and merc outdrives. I would prefer an earlier boat with a H/M but could be talked into an early 80's vintage with a mercruiser. Speak technically if you like.

Thanks, superhatz

GeneD
03-18-2000, 07:17 AM
I promised not to get involved in the Vovlo/Merc/OMC outdrive debate.
But...
I love Chevys! And of course, Mercruiser uses the Chevrolet (GM) blocks for their awesome engine packages. The beauty is, that most of the parts are available in abundance.
007 will never complain about having a Mercruiser 270.
Now the Alpha is a damn good drive. No one can talk me out of that.
It's that damn SS that has me confused...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

CDMA
03-18-2000, 07:34 PM
I have to agree with Gene. Despite my desire to keep my boat as original as possible I have gone with a Chevy powerplant. Unlike Gene's mine is coupled to a Volvo 280 similar to what was there when the boat was new. While I have to admit that the Mercruiser is a btter drive in my mind ( powersteering / trim) I like the look of what was there. In my mind one of the ultimate set ups would be a 280 T with hydralic steering. Despite this I am very happy with my 280. I just installed it today and am getting ready to put the engine in. Superhatz in my mind you really can not go wrong with either. Each have their plusses and minuses.

Forrest
03-19-2000, 07:37 AM
Then there is the Ford/Mercruiser setup like came original in my '72 Donzi 16. Now its a Ford/Mercruiser Alpha SS! The standard Alpha is a "faster" drive the the Volvo 270/280/290, but the Volvo can handle more power than the Alpha.

------------------
Forrest

Stromer
03-19-2000, 11:45 AM
First, all new Volvo Pentas are GM bloacks - not like the old days. I repowered my 1972 18 2+3 with the the newest 5.7 GSi fuel injected Volvo with the SX drive - AWSOME!
We dynoed the stock 5.7 GSi at 310HP!!! - I spoke to the Volvo engineer who said "wa rate them at 280 plus - most are about 309Hp" This great product with cone clutch and pattern matched helical cut gears is pusing my boat (in stock form) to 74 MPH! I love it and my local Volvo dealer says no problem with parts - if he does not have it, Volvo will get it to him in 72 hrs or the part is free!!!
What's all this mean? Both the Boys in Black and the Sweeds make a good product. The Volvo SX has the guts of the cone clutch (like the bravo) but with out the bravo price.

AVickers
03-19-2000, 12:56 PM
I have a '76 Volvo 280 behind a Mouse and the drive appears to be bullet-proof. It's original going on 25 years of some pretty hard use. I retrofitted to hydraulic steering and am quite satisfied with that (although next time I'd use a different ration helm...)

Only thing I don't have is trim, but I could retrofit for that for $500 to $1000 using a readily available elephant ear setup from an early-eithties to '93 unit...

Bennett tabs would be cheaper and work better.

Volvos appear to be very, very durable drives. That's why yards are full of 'em. The boats wear out around them and the drives remain. That's also why they're cheap! Supply/Demand. Yards have a lot of them and people don't need to replace the ones they got... (if they've taken care of them). Complete units (upper/lower/intermediate) have been quoted to me at less than $500. I thought about getting a spare, but what's the point? They don't seem to break and they are available if I clog somthing under the waterline...

Besides, if I keep the boat, it's gonna get a Duo-Prop...

Just one more opinion...

superhatz
03-19-2000, 09:07 PM
When did volvos start coming with power trim?

I drove a '74 X-18 with, if I remember right, was a volvo 270 and it had power trim.

This was about 10 years ago, am I correct?

The X-18 had pretty good manual steering. My '67 ski sporter had a 200 outdrive and single cable steering and holy crap was that thing a workout to drive. Not to mention kinda dangerous.

I'm not totally hung up on origionality but I would prefer to have a fairly "correct" 70's vintage 18 2+3. I'm also not hung up on ford or chevy.

AVickers
03-20-2000, 05:56 PM
I'm not at all sure when they started producing trim-equipped drives, but I know they were available through 1993, when the last of that type of drive was produced...

All of them had a "T" suffix. You'll have to change out the transom plate and install the pump and lines. It may also be necessary to change out the intermediate housing, but I haven't gone that far down the road to figure it out yet...

Emmo
03-20-2000, 10:29 PM
I am a Ford man all the way. So far, my Volvo 270 has been bullet-proof and it is 30 years old. I hear the Merc guys complaining about power steering problems and trim pump problems, etc. It is hard for me to have problems with my trim pump or power steering as I have neither http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

superhatz
03-20-2000, 11:22 PM
Hey Emmo...great lookin' boat. How does it drive? The '67 ski sporter I had with a volvo 200 was very difficult to steer at most speeds but especially at high speeds. In fact if you let go of the wheel at full throttle or near...say your prayers. The boat had single ram steering. Was that the problem...was it a bad cable?

Basically I want an early boat with a volvo but I'm trying to avoid the hairy ride my 16 was.

Thanks again

Spitfire Dave
03-21-2000, 09:30 AM
I have a 1981 18' 2+3 that was a 260 hp alpha setup. Power is now a 408 ci bowtie block build up, backed by an alpha ss. I estimate hp at 400 to 425 hp. I blew the upper seal in the drive my first weekend in the boat in 1994, since then I have had no problems. The boat runs 77 mph turning a 25" mirage at 6000 rpm. I am the only person that drives the boat(it can be a handful), and throttle the boat with a soft touch. Keep in mind alot of drives break when shifting into gear at a high idle(mine will idle at 500rpm all day).
Spitfire Dave

Emmo
03-21-2000, 08:32 PM
I never said it was easy! My boat handles great but it does take a death grip to keep it on track above 3500 RPM. I just bought a new Ultra prop and if it handles like the one Forrest loaned me, the torque steer is less, there is no cavitation and the boat goes where you point it. I am also replacing the bushings, so it should be less noticeable when you throw the coal to it. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

AVickers
03-22-2000, 12:12 PM
I gotta tell ya! The hydraulic steering will take the "handful" out of your equation. I can accellerate hard with hands barely on the wheel. None of that hopping around, and none of that sideways reaction when I let off in the middle of accellerating.

It has really made a difference on my boat and the only thing I would change is that I would use a helm with fewer turns lock-to-lock that I currently have. As it is, the steering is a little slow.

It anybody's interested, I can go through the steps to installation. Only goofy thing was fabricating the bracket to hold the ram.