PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous!!!...???

oldLenny
09-19-2001, 08:22 PM
With all you people out there making obscene
amounts of horsepower, (500-600) and so many with 300,...why don't I ever here of nitrous applications in these Donzi's? Power runs are short, eg. I don't think too many would want more than 10-15 sec at full throttle,...and Turbo's create too much heat (as I have been told) in the engine compartment and create exhaust concerns in a boat application. So, why are there so few out there, and why on this board, does no one have a system? :confused:

Am I missing something?... other than the obvious to everyone...
:rolleyes:

FASTEDDIE
09-19-2001, 08:30 PM
There is a Donzi on this board with Nitrous.
Will the member please step foward and identify yourself to Len? :rolleyes:

marcdups
09-19-2001, 08:44 PM
Len, I have thought about it and thought about it !!!! my mechanic knows me too well and suggests not to go that way as I will get trigger happy, he is probably correct as WOT is about what my boat sees waaaaaaaaaay too often,do I wanna blow up an engine often NNNooooooooooooo!! something to THINK about!!

Am sure if you inhale some yourself, you'll feel like you are going at least 90 :eek: :D :eek: LOL

Towel Boy !! :rolleyes:

CDMA
09-19-2001, 08:47 PM
It is a kick in the pants in a donzi....trust me

Gearhead99
09-19-2001, 09:44 PM
I use to run my 18 with a 175 HP hit of NOS. It was a rush and it was hidden. I could pick up about 1000 rpm's on the bottle.

It is a rush. Also, it is great to see the other guy who is coming around you and smiling till you hit the button. Love it...

GEOO
09-20-2001, 08:08 AM
HUM!!
Interesting Thought.

http://www.arneson-industries.com/EngNOS10001_small.jpg

GEOO
;)

Moody Blu'
09-20-2001, 04:33 PM
I predict GEO's boat will hit 105-110 with nitrous!!
once GEO's thumb goes numb from hitting the button and the engine blows sky high I think its time to put a turbine in that bad boy. ;)

Ranman
09-20-2001, 05:58 PM
I've tossed the idea around a bit too as I used to run nitrous in my 95 Mustang. Here's my take. If your boat is set up with the right prop etc at WOT your engine should be pretty much maxed for RPM's. Mine is at 4900 at WOT. All a lot of nitrous wuold do at this point is bring up the RPM's and most likely over rev the engine into destruction. If you ran a bigger prop, you could pick up some serious speed on top end for short bursts, but you would not have an optimal setup for when you were "off the spray". Your RPM would be too low at WOT without the bottle in action.

You could however use nitrous for a better hole shot from zero to top speed which can be fun, but you'd have to let it go when you reached top RPM.

I was thinking however, that maybe if you found just the right combination and you sprayed very conservatively, you could use it for a sneaky couple of mph. I think my engine operating range is from 4600-5000 or so. If I could find a prop that maintained my current top speed, but at a lower rpm, say 4600, I could use a bit of nitrous to get the last 400 rpm out of it and hence pick up a few mph. It could be fun for those times when you just need that little extra bit to pull away.

Any other takes on this?

Moody Blu'
09-20-2001, 06:17 PM
Ranman, thats exactly what I was thnking.
Unless you built the engine to rev out to say like 6500?
Sad to say nitrous is a bad move. All it will do is make sure your engine don't last as long as it SHOULD.
Its definately the best bang for your buck but bigger bangs come with louder clanks!!

I know something you could do if you want a boost in power.Get one of those merc props that shifts to a different pitch. :rolleyes:

BigGrizzly
09-20-2001, 08:04 PM
There is a nother bad point nitrous is heavier than air, so there is a nother big bang factor if uou have a leak and a fuel leak also. Your bildg is a holding tank.
Its hard to setoff but if it does you have have a skiff.

Randy

GEOO
09-20-2001, 09:41 PM
Nitrous does not add power to your engine and it is not explosive. Nitrous adds oxygen, not unlike a supercharger or turbo. The more oxygen the engine has the more gas you can burn, which creates more power. A 100 hp NOS kits enables you to burn 50lbs more fuel per hour which create the extra power.
If you have an engine which is strong enough to rev 6000rpm's but you prop it at max hp 5500, then you add Nitrous you could reach the 6000rpm redline. As long as you have the correct Air/Fuel ratio, retard the timing, and don't get too carried away with the amount of power you add you should be fine.

GEOO :eek:

Moody Blu'
09-20-2001, 09:56 PM
GEO I know that you were saying to retard the timing for nitrous.(I understand why you would do this for nitrous but lets say NA for my questions)
Doesnt retarding the timing acutally lower your revs?

Maybe I have something confused and you can clarify it.

lets say my distributor spins counter clock wise.(which it does)

If I turn it more counter clock wise from TDC I am advancing my ignition?

If I turn it clock wise then I am retarding my ignition?
Do I have this correct or is it the other way around?
please clarify.

GEOO
09-21-2001, 01:43 PM
Len,
You need to start off with 2 to 4 degree's less timing per 50hp for Nitrous.
Retarding the timing in NA mode will reduce hp. I wouldn't play with a distributor without a timing light.
With a Ignition computor or EFI ECU you just dial it in to reduce timing only when the Nitrous is activated. ;) GEOO

Sam
09-24-2001, 08:34 PM
Len, check with Dennis member #813, I think he has it on his X18.His last post was in the gathering section page three.

Sam

SundanceKid
09-28-2001, 03:29 PM
Has anybody ever considered one of those two-speed tansmissions coupled to the drive?

GEOO
09-28-2001, 06:03 PM
Arneson + Donzi = Faster. GEOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dennis
09-28-2001, 08:28 PM
Nitrous is AWSOME but its like a bullet you have to be sure you aim the boat before you pull the trigger! the torque is violent.
as far as being exposive in a boat its just oxigen it won't hurt you or your boat without gas and spark. and if you have gasoline in the bilge you are already in trouble. Also don't use it for a hole shot you need to be above 3500 rpm. Anyone real serious should call me! you have homework to do and thing to consider before you buy ther are hidden costs that no one tells you about until your committed. BUT IT DOES WORK !!!

DonziDreaming
09-29-2001, 08:21 AM
Dennis is correct with his statement, Nitrous is not flamable. To prove this you can take a cigarette and hold it up to the nozzle of the bottle. Carefully open the flow to let some nitrous out. No flames, but that cigarette will burn like you wouldn't believe. The dangers of a nitrous bottle are the same as a scuba tank. I have run nitrous on several cars and helped friends with 2-stage systems on "street cars" that ran in the 8's at the Muscle Car Nations. It has alot of potential, but like everything people get greedy. I've seen people drill out jets, not upgrade their fuel system to keep up with the demands of what they are doing, and yes blow things apart. It's like any other thing you do high performance, do your home work!

No matter what: More Horse Power= $$$$

John

harbormaster
09-29-2001, 05:41 PM
No nitrous is not flamible, but Couple Nitrous with gasoline and you have the potential for a bomb. I heard from Racer bud of mine about someone who did not keep his NO2 system clean. when he shut it off one night it leaked all night. The next morning when he started the car it Blew the intake manifold through the hood. A parallel is that you can put out a lit match in a pan of gasoline without igniting it. It is the fumes that are flamible. That why we have injection and carbs.

Tony
09-29-2001, 09:12 PM
I'd be interested in observing someone putting out a lit match in a pan of gasoline!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

harbormaster
09-29-2001, 09:17 PM
You can do it. The gas does not burn. only the fumes.

Classic Razorback
09-29-2001, 10:40 PM
I've have been told when you weld on a gas tank it's needs to be full!(Holy Sh#*!!) I don't want to be in the same county when this is going on!
I would throw it away and get a plastic one.
The fumes of the gas are what ignites but I don't know how you get the match in the gas without going through the fumes. :eek:

Chris

Formula Jr
09-30-2001, 03:05 AM
Throw a cube or two of dryice into anything you think will be explosive. Once the CO boils up over the filler you have a competely inert thingy to work on.

DonziDreaming
09-30-2001, 08:39 AM
Scot,

You point out right away that the person neglected his NOS system. They are an addition to your engine and should receive proper installation and maintenance, that includes cleaning. You don't assemble a carb on your back porch on a windy day, dirt plays havoc in all the little passages. Do things like this happen, I always hear of them, have never witnessed them. Have I seen a rogue piece of teflon tape cause major problems with NOS, yes. But I have also witnessed that same problems with a injected blower motor in a hydro. Nitrous is quoted as "cheap" horsepower, it has its trade offs. You don't bolt it on and forget it, if you do it will bite you.

John

Ranman
10-01-2001, 08:06 AM
I would never weld a gas tank that is full of gas or empty. AFAIK, you should fill the tank with water prior to welding.