PDA

View Full Version : '72 project is underway

WOT-sup
01-20-2002, 10:56 PM
FINALLY, it’s Donzi-time. 1972 18’ Classic 2+3 project is underway. Bought the boat nearly a year ago knowing that it was going to be perhaps even a couple of years before I could get started on it. After concerns about a light lay up schedule and whether this boat was the real article, the consensus is that it appears to be. This boat was a resto project started by a previous owner. Seems like they started near the end of the do-list and worked backwards. It’s got new upholstery, has mostly been repainted, has had some of the structural work done (new glass behind dash, engine hatch, and transom area) and has only a few pieces of hardware.

Fortunately, I have some good hands-on expertise available to help me with the more ‘challenging’ aspects of the project. Also, what a deal to find the tremendous knowledge base that the people on this site represent, it’s amazing. Looking forward to any inputs that I get from this group and thanks in advance. This is my first new post since last October and I see that there are a few people that I still need to respond from back then.

Actually got to make a brief stop at the Palatka rally…what a great group of fun people! (Hey guys! gals! dogs! It was great meeting you all. What’s Happening?? I AM familiar with the password –D.A.- and want to become a SEADOG. Given the ‘mission statement’, this is an organization to belong to!

Here’s what’s in store that I know about so far:
· Replace large area of floor (cockpit sole)
· Acquire and install new gas tank
· Convert from Volvo to Merc (move helm to starboard, fill in transom IH cutout, engine mounts, etc)
· Miscellaneous glass work
· Gel coat or repaint engine compartment
· Acquire and install hull, deck and interior hardware/fittings/accessories
· Get the paint job finished up (interior and a portion of deck)
· Install Mercruiser package
· Rig it all up

Structurally the boat appears good so far. The stringers look/sound fine. Not planning to do a de-mate at this point. Deck appears sound and has been bonded with ‘5200- looking’ compound. Still poking around though.

Initial power will be a 230HP 5.0 with an Alpha that is sitting in the garage. This came out of an insurance salvaged boat that took a tree while on its trailer. Very similar story to Gene Drago’s in the Technical section. The Merc looks good, appears to have been maintained, sounds good, low hours, mostly fresh water use: we’ll see how it does. Figure this is a good starting place to get my ‘feet wet’. Good chance there will be ‘bigger, better, more faster’ power down the road.

Day One saw the sole cut open to remove rotten plywood coring. Old gas tank and its associated rear bulkhead removed also. The ski locker (?) was removed as part of gas tank extraction. It was surprisingly ‘dry’; there was not a lot of resin impregnating the roving on the underside of this section. Is this unusual??

Will attempt to get a few pics included with this…much to learn about digital photography and uploading. Feedback appreciated if successful (used a 440x294 medium quality setting).

When launched it won’t be the fastest, pretties, or most original 18, but I do plan to have a solid example of one of the premier sport boats of all time. Splash date is summer…. maybe the beginning, maybe the end, maybe 2003. Stay tuned! (Schedule-hell frequently exists).

Here we go!

Brad Whitmore
http://www.donzi.net/photos/bwhitmore001.jpghttp://www.donzi.net/photos/bwhitmore002.jpg

Scott Pearson
01-21-2002, 05:38 AM
Brad,
Did you cut the floor out like that? If not you need to remove that deck to fix that thing the right way and even then it still will not be 100%. That floor should have never been cut like that. For all the effort in cutting the floor it would have been alot easier to remove the deck and do it the right way.

(NJ)Scott

NeedSpeed
01-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Scott -- To remove the deck, do you mean splitting it at the rubrail and liftinf off?

HP 600SC
01-21-2002, 08:04 AM
Brad, ask in here before you start cutting anything!!!!!

Scott Pearson
01-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Taking the rub rail off then all the screws out. The deck will lift right off. Also if Brad is doing the transom on that boat it will be alot easier.

The way that thing is cut up right now there is no way that it will ever be right again without lifting the deck and removing the ski rack the right way and reglassing it. Also the deck will need to be flipped over so the wood can be cut out of the floor and all the reglassed.

Look where the floor was cut by the seat pedastals. That will always crack if not done right.

Chris once said. "Think of a boat when its all together as an egg" If you leave glass support out or have a weak area (The floor on Brads boat) The egg has a crack...If an egg has a crack it will be very weak.

Now that I am sick.....Could be worse...could have been a Bench Seat Hornet.

(NJ) Scott

Greg
01-21-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Brad, I'm in the process of doing what you are into now. When I removed my deck I did as Scott described, on mine there were some patches of heavy duty fiberglass under the floor attaching it to the stringers. These need to be cut also. A word of caution here, when the deck and int. lift off the hull it becomes real floppy. I attached a 2x6 from the stern to the bow to stabilize the deck and engine compartment. Jamesbon (Nate) posted some pics of his 21GT with this done, I would search for that thread and do the some as what is pictured. When I removed mine I had six friends come over, for a "deck party", they thought we were going to sit on my deck and drink beer. We crowded from the dash to the engine compartment and lifted it right off. Good luck and keep us posted. Greg

WOT-sup
01-22-2002, 04:41 AM
Sinking Feeling…last night I flew over the general area where the carrier “Yorktown” was torpedoed. Later, upon seeing the replies to my post, I had that bad sinking feeling myself. Not a good way to end a trans-pac and not a good way to start a resto project.

You guys sure got my attention. Thanks all for the inputs. The plan thus far (and the cut) was done by a trusted professional who is confident in his approach and methodology. When I get home and share your higher-level info with him that may change. Wisdom from case specific experience is hard to beat.

I’ll know more about what is actually going on with the boat in a few days. In the mean time, ‘don’t give up the ship’. In the future, I’ll heed Ted’s advice and ‘ask first’ (and use the ‘search’ function). Don’t need to reinvent the wheel but so much.

If the deck has to come off after all, I hope that isn’t 5200 I’m looking at from the previous owners efforts.

Stay tuned for how this is going to play out and thanks again,

Brad.

Looped
01-22-2002, 07:25 AM
Brad,
Look at it this way, you just made it lighter when it comes time to lift the deck off. biggrin.gif

At least your looking at a solid deck & cockpit area unlike some of us. confused.gif

Craig

Scott Pearson
01-22-2002, 07:37 AM
Brad,
Dont listen to the wisdom of that friend. He has done enough damage already. Ask here and you will find the right answers.

The deck has got to come off now. It isnt alot of work. As far as 5200. Like Madpoodle says there is a 3M product that desolves it. It usualy is only put there to keep water out. I used a sharp thin blade and cut my sealer out.

(NJ)Scott

PS. Tell they guy that cut the floor to stay out of the boat restoration business and seek work as a house demolation person.

Formula Jr
01-22-2002, 08:25 AM
WOT-sup, I'd be interested to know if your restore guy was planing on reglassing in inserts to fill in the cutt-away sections (which will not work) or if he was going to glue and glass in an entire one piece sole plate - Which would make the new sole about 3/4 inch higher than normal.

WOT-sup
01-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Thanks all for the continued responses and glint of encouragement that all is not lost. I'll be home in a few days and able to get some hands-on answers. In the mean time, I think my blood pressure has come back down onto the scale, and that's a good thing.

harbormaster
01-23-2002, 03:48 PM
There is a very nice article on removing the deck in the technical section. Don't you guys read anything???? biggrin.gif

harbormaster
01-23-2002, 03:49 PM
There is a very nice article on removing the deck in the technical section. Don't you guys read anything???? biggrin.gif

http://www.donzi.net/tech/deckresto.htm