PDA

View Full Version : Whoa!

genedrago
03-17-2000, 07:39 AM
Nice huh?
This guy Scott is a computer genius ain't he?
Hats off Scotty, but give me more power!!!!
So...what's new guys?
I haven't even begun looking for a job yet, too much to get done! My friends think I should ride the wave of unemployment for a least a month.
Sooo, I've been doing some things to keep me busy and some money in the old bank account. For instance, I just swapped out a motor in a 280 Sea Ray, cake job. Got paid some real good cash for that too!!!!
Hoping to do some motor work on the Corvette real soon, at least before the thing in Orlando.
Speaking of which, since I am now out of my high paying aerospace job, I will be staying in Kissimmee in one of the local "budget" motels. I have a discount book available, and I will have it scanned and post it for anyone who wants to save some money.
Last week, I took 007 out for a ride. Had a tough time catching up with my buddy on his '69 Panchanga. I kept breaking up. Drove me crazy. Ended up that my brand new Mercruiser spark plugs, you know the ones, $5.85 ea., stainless steel? Well, I found at least two of them are cracked. Thank Don, the guy at the parts joint is making good on them. So, I think I'm going to pull all of them out and make sure no more are cracked.
Hey, I bought a boat for $20 last weekend. On a trailer too! It's called a Cathedra. Junk, but my buddy Tom says we can make a few hundred each fixing it up and selling to one of the locals. Okay!
Now, did I hear that Rich no longer owns that beautiful '66 18-2+3? Rich, if that is true, I want to suggest an MRI. Because I really want to know what was in your head to make you do that.
Email me please!
Okay guys, I'll be moving soon, so I may not be on line as often as I would like, but I will keep you informed of my adventures repairing the channel marker crack in my port side deck.
Still haven't heard from Forrest on which boat he is dragging down to the Orlando thing.
Also, a personal note to Brian F., if you are reading this, please email me or stop by the shop.
And Scott, can't I be grandfathered into becoming a full fledged memeber?
Onward, and Full Throttle into the Next Millenium.

------------------
GeneD

[This message has been edited by genedrago (edited 03-17-2000).]

Kenn
03-17-2000, 10:58 AM
And the question is http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif
How far do you travel doing your lower paying mechanical work thing ? ?

-------------

Kenn

Kenn
03-17-2000, 11:04 AM
HELLO Scott,
This member thing relates to dignity for some and GeneD's status should be uped to Member.

Hell if it will make you feel more powerful, sir harbormaster with the eraser, demote me to Jr and give it to GeneD.

http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif ): http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Kenn (edited 03-17-2000).]

GeneD
03-17-2000, 07:59 PM
Hey, man! Just don't want to be known to the newer members as a "junior"!
Ah, it's okay. I'm over it. I really don't know anything anyway.
For instance...
There I am, hanging out at the shop when I get this urge to work on the Donzi.
How odd, right?
I jump into the vastly huge engine compartment of 007 and start pulling plugs. I found one cracked one, and one where the insulator had begun to exit the spark plug.
I had a 3/16 inch gap! It really looked neat.
So I bring the plugs back to the parts joint.
Replaced FREE!
Hmmm, wonder why?
Anyway, get back install plugs, and boots.
The boots had gotten eaten up when the plugs went bad and shorted out to the block via the boot. They got holes in one side and it was all powdery. You could rub it off with your finger.
Start the motor up.
Ran good.
Put it in gear.
Blagh...
Thing dies. Hmmm, it's that damn Alpha SS shift shaft, I know it.
Trim the motor up to get at the shift shaft and spray some WD-40 on it.
Trim motor don't work. All I hear is the solenoid clicking away.
Motor is shot right? Well, I don't beleive it right away. I get my test wire out and start jumping wires to ground, to hot, to ground again. Nothing. Just some bad sparks.
Take the thing out and test it, works just fine. Of course, I got a pant leg full of trim fluid when the pump came on with two open high pressure ports right there.
So, I decide to use my spare pump.
You know, just in case?
Put that all together, full it with fluid, install it.
It works!
Now the engine won't start. The Mercruiser starter solenoid is not energizing. Ends up the positive lead coming in had a dirty (rusty) contact. Take that off, clean it up and re-install.
Gee, the motor starts, runs good, I have trim. What more could I want, right?
Took the boat for a ride on my way home tonight, very pretty night. Boat is running really good...
except...
I do not have any up trim at speed.
Any ideas?
Me? I say it's either low on fluid...or....the spare motor sucks.
What's your opinion?
Inquiring minds want to know!

harbormaster
03-18-2000, 04:59 AM
I have one question.

Did your running lights work this time?

lol

riverrat
03-18-2000, 06:54 AM
scot... kicking the man when he's down?? hey there gene good to see you found your way back to the board!! sounds like you need to time off from a real job for the 007.. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

sd

GeneD
03-18-2000, 07:02 AM
You guys...
I don't know, where did your mother and I go wrong?
Yeah, Scot, the lights worked!
I was a bit depressed that the trim didn't work properly since on my ride back to the dock, I wanted to open it up and see the little red needle blow past 60 and kiss the zero on the other side of the speedo.
All I got was a bow that was glued to the water and a straight down speedo needle, 65?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 03-18-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
03-18-2000, 07:18 AM
Gene
Glad your back, we were worried.
If its not one thing it's two others!!

Jumped wires to ground? Sounds a little dangerous.

Is the motor running when you push the button?
Did you try jumping across the solonoid? That will tell you if the solonoid is bad.
Some of the Alphas and Merc #I drives have a limit switch for the "tilt" setting, is it trimming up to that point then stopping?

If you got fluid all over your pants did you refill the resevoir?

BTW, a good way to check for bad wires
Use a digital volt meter
Check voltage at battery ,fully charged >12.65

Check voltage at accessory. Difference should be <.2 volts.

Check voltage at accessory when under load.
Normally difference should be <.5 volts. (might be greater on a high amp accessory like a starter or trim motor)

BTW There is a kit available to rebuild trim motors. Ususlly the problem is used up brushes.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR,GroveCity (edited 03-18-2000).]