PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-19-2002, 05:36 AM
Ok, I need some info and advise from you pros.
I am installing two new items this weekend, a TV/VCR mini and my new GPS chartplotter.

My friend has his set up like this, dual batteries, ran a new cig lighter socket to cuddy off of port battery. Runs boat battery switch on both when running, then they beach, switches battery switch to # 2 and his son watches TV, time to go, back to both or #1, starts and on down the water.

I plan to rig the same, BUT I have read not to run the switch on BOTH!!!! If it is OK, should I run the GPS hot to battery #1 and just turn it off on arrival?

I have a hookup at Interstate battery (I will get new batteries every year), I considered one of their top of the line deep cells and mounting it as a third, and just keep it charged up at home and leave for a day on a full charge and let the TV draw off of it!

Please give me your thoughts and opinion on the BOTH matter...

If your really bored, click to OSO and read about Nancy's ticket she just got! LOL
http://207.55.218.179/cgidir/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=47&t=005756

Thanks guys. Bryan

Shanghied Again
01-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Bryan, All the boats I owned with dual battery I always charged with both on. You are not wired for 24 volt so the batterys are only recieving 12, The only problem is the batterys draws more amps on 2, but as they charge up the amp draw lessons. The only affect running two batterys on charge will have is your alternator wont last as long unless its a heavy duty. Now if you want to run your GPS on and keep it charged at all times with out running both batterys, run your hot leg to both batterys the GPS will stay charged and does not matter what battery is on, And even if you leave on 2 batterys the gps is still only drawing 12 volt.

Gearhead99
01-19-2002, 07:36 AM
As Frank said, run both batteries. The only thing that you'll wound is the alternator. Unless they are way down you shouldn't be in danger of that.

I would also hook the GPS to both. Then it will work no matter where you have it, and that has to be a good thing. I also, prefer the bilge pumps hooked that way too, if they aren't already.

The third extra battery is just an additional weight you really don't need.

My $ .02

Sam
01-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Bryan, personaly I wouldn't worry to much about running a tv off your house battery for a few hours, tv's don't draw a lot of amps. I would install a two way switch. #one battery for starts and # 2 for house usage. When your ready to go just switch to both and your back in business. I have never had any issues running the switch in the "all" or "both" position. On my big boat I only have one house battery. When anchoring out for long periods of time I run my boat off this battery. I can run two refrigerators (on lower settting) lights, radio, water system ect. Obvisouly when I need to run the micro and such I start the genni. I am very conservittive with my power draw but I have spent 30 hrs on the hook before I had to crank up the genni to charge the battery.
The other thing you might want to look at is an inverter for use on your house battery, check them out at West Marine.

Good Luck
Sam

Sam
01-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Bryan, just read you thread about Nancy's road trouble. It sounds like this guy has a "Napolean" complex. It's jerks like this that give all the good cops a bad name, not to mention setting a poor example in front of the kids. I say go for it, that's what we have courts for.

Sam

Shanghied Again
01-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Bryan, Just read that about Nancy. What an A#@ that cop was, I was involved with special Police for 10 years. I wish him luck in court he si going to have a hard time with that ticket sticking! If he didn,t get her on Radar and she pulled over behind her friend, He has no proof of any bad doings. If he didn,t pull over the trailee that is usally the fastest car in follow, that means he pulled behind her friend that was a ways on front of Nancy! Hence Nancy was not the one in question! Must of been a Bad trooper day. Didn't obay a sign! thats a laugh,
Good Luck in Court, I know if that was my wife I would fight that one, (Principal)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Great data, again I love this site...
I just finished one of many honey do's while momma is away, so now I am off to West Marine, I found the chart plotter I want $80 cheaper online and they have agreed to match the price, so I put it on my AMEX, wait 90 days, find it cheaper agin and AMEX pay me the difference!

Hook to both batteries uh... OK, question, my little brain was thinking on the TV deal run the #10 or 12 wire all the way back to one battery, as far as GPS, how do I wire it to both????
Yes the bildge pumps are wired that way, I have two. I knew the one time I had a leaky hose because the dash light for the bildge came on, stopped fix it and moved on.

Nancy, my lovely wife... she was terrified actually. That is why I paged TROUTLY on OSO, he is a state trooper. I agree on the principle thing, it is not right, my daughter was a bit scared because he was not being a polite cop. We wave at every cop we see, we have always taught our kids that. yeah i speed, and yeah I pay the fines, this is a bit different though.

Thanks for all the input, let me know how to wire to both, I have two accessory switches on the dash too, one runs the fresh water pump the other is free.

Thanks again guys. Frank I will buzz ya this weekend just to catch up!
Bryan

Sam
01-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Check on your electrical pannel behind your dash to see if you have any open slots for accessories. That's how I would do it along with a seperate fuse block for each accessory.Your main feed to the pannel should have enough juice to power your toys. You can always check with your Donzi dealer or Donzi direct just to be on the safe side.

Have Fun
Sam

Rich
01-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Bryan,
There are many ways to wire your boat but the one I think makes most sense is by West Marine. Look at their web site and in their catalog. They use a battery combiner with some on-off switches (not on-off-both) that will totally seperate your house battery from your starting battery but still allow combining batteries for starting.
DIY magazine also has some good wiring info.

Rich

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the data, POODLE, the bildge pumps are factory setup, I do know they run no matter what the setting!

Well I didn't get the TV today but did land a SWEET Garmin GPS176C Color chart plotter, out comes the compass, a new piece of glass installed, and then mount it...

When I do stick my head in the dash itself of course I will be posting. I am great at many things but most engine and electronic boat stuff I am not, so thanks to all for bearing with me this last year and tolerating what I sometimes think is a stupid questions, you guys are great.
Bryan

RickR
01-19-2002, 08:47 PM
Bryan
It is much easier to use a GPS with a compass. A GPS can't find north when you are sitting still.
BTW: I'd go to court. You'll still pay the fine but the judge will remember the trooper the next time he gives a bogus ticket.

madpoodle
That is a good idea, wiring the pump to seperate batteries. I'll change mine when she comes home from winter storage wink.gif

BigGrizzly
01-20-2002, 08:22 AM
Year’s back, I had a similar situation with a rouge cop and my oldest boy. We did beat it and got an apology from the DA, not from the cop. I wouldn't have accepted it if he did. The police mane is paid to do the job in an appropriate manner and not be abusive. Just remember all police are not like this jerk. At ATOHII remind me to tell the story of My NYPD policeman friend on Philadelphia, for a job interview to be an inspector. It has to do with right turn on red laws.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi Griz, I am over the deal now, Nancy is having a ball, she spent last night in St Augustine Fl, and if she is happy so I am I. I talked to her about the cop deal this a.m. and she let it go.
My saying here, is I only ride the bus, she drives it, so if she tells me to let it go I likely will.

RICKR, you must have called Nancy, when I spoke to her this a.m. she said "no your not taking out the compass, I like it, what if the GPS goes out!" I laughed so hard I almost dropped the phone.... The 176C has 4 optional mounting solutions, so I will figure something out. I have extra dash space in a couple areas and also top dash space by the compass.

I have to get out and get wire and some SS hardware today, buy the TV combo etc... Oh and back to West Marine, I bought polish instead of wax, damn bottles are the same color...

Griz/Rick, I hope you guys are doing well. AOTH II will be here before you know it!!!
Bryan

Rich
01-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Another thing you can do with bilge pumps is to have the backup pump be a top quality, automatic, very high capacity model that gets mounted high so that it won't be in the normal bilge water not picked up by the primary pump. As long as it doesn't get used, it should last forever. It can (should) also be wired unswitched but fused directly to a house deep cycle battery bank. This way it can never be accidently turned off. The primary pump can then stay switched at your dash.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-21-2002, 09:05 PM
Well ya learn something new every day, the 22ZX had a 10 inch square door to access below dash! Guess what, the bigger and better 26ZX is not always better. I hate to remve a panel, I can tell ya the 22ZX wire rigging was strung tight!!! Hopefully this boat will have a little slack in the wires.

HHMMM Compass stays, I am on top of dash mounting but to get to the breakers to tie in will not be easy.
I considered just using the wires that light the compass and use them for power... but then Nancy will say "why isn't the compass lit up red."
Bryan

Quinlan
09-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Hello Bryan,

I just joined the Donzi Registry. I just purchased a 1988 33z. It gets alot of attention on the lake i live on in South Carolina - Lake Murray.

i was wondering what you used for power for the TV?
i installed a DVD player, and want to put a 17 in monitor in the front.
i dont know if the 1988 33z has a 12v to 120 inverter somewhere.

i am debating on buying a 12v to 120 inverter and using a 19 inch computer monitor with a VGA to RCA converter connected to my DVD player.

otherwise - it is like 900 dollars for a 17 inch 12 volt monitor.

any ideas you have would be appreciated as im still learning about my new boat!

Stephen
803-414-4111