PDA

View Full Version : Gauge replacement

JimG
02-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I’m gauge-shopping! Though I’m not restoring the yellow 18, I’m looking for some replacement gauges, (amp, oil, water, fuel). I want to stay with original-looking gauges, ie Teleflex Heavy Duty or something like it. Are there any more to choose from? I’ve checked SW, and it looks like they don’t carry a plain white-on-black with stainless bevel marine gauge anymore. Doesn't appear that VDO does either. Any suggestions?

I’m going to try to keep the Holman Moody tach. It’s a little corroded, but it’s SO cool! It may need a rebuild, it doesn’t appear very accurate, (idle showing to be 1200, and it was not anywhere near that!). I'm going to check all connections, and clean it up and see if that helps.

Thanks!!

JimG (the first of MANY questions...)

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jimg-tach.jpg.jpg

tmdog
02-20-2003, 11:35 AM
With all due respect JimG, a whacky tach would drive me up a wall. I have a 88 c and was going to save the original gauges but after going to the Miami boat show I changed my mind. My present gauges look so outdated and with the new parts on the market, to me that is a way to go. Picked up many brochures of mfg. of gauges, bezels and panels to give a neat looking dash. Example a carbon fiber dash panel with DONZI laminated between panels and all holes cut out for 4-500 hundred. Which I thought was not a bad deal. JIM

JimG
02-20-2003, 12:27 PM
tmdog, if I can't get the tach to work right I'll retire it and put in a Teleflex HD. Or maybe go to someone for a refurb. I've got to have a working tach.

poodle, thanks! If no one else has any ideas, I'll probably go with the HD's. And sorry, I meant voltmeter. The local West Marine and Boat US stores have them, and I have a stack of discount coupons, so I'll probably just get them local tomorrow.

Thanks!!

mattyboy
02-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Jim
I too am replacing my gauges on my 68 16 from the original teleflex, but I am looking for white faces I think they will look better in the white dash
I have looked at teleflex they seem to have the widest selection of marine guages, i have looked at SW, Gaffrig, Moon, Faria, I think I will go with teleflex lido pro black on white with stainless bezels but that might change good luck keep us posted

Matt

JimG
02-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Mattyboy, what condition are your old gauges in? I may be interested in buying them if they still work.

JimG

BUIZILLA
02-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Here ya go for VDO..

www.vdona.com Ocean Line Marine

be prepared to change ALL the senders as well...

there is a NY area marine place that sells the panels, DONZI engraved, for $200-$220, virtually any color powdercoated under the sun, and you use Gaffrig or Faria gauges. REALLY SHARP. They have the EXACT size panel for the 16, 18, 22 c models. Even comes with switches...

I'll get the name of the place when I get home and edit this post.

Teleflex can be gotten dirt cheap from C.J. Worldwide @ 954.767.9067 talk to Joe Lewis

J

west of Chub Cay (how the hell did did u get east of Chub poodle?)

Scott Pearson
02-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Jim,
I have a nice new dash plate that I made just for your year boat. Its $65.00 plus shipping.

(NJ)Scott

RH
02-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Scott, can you post a picture of the panel that you made? I have thought about changing out the 1972 Hornet. It has the Teleflex gauges set into a black plastic gauge panel. It is not that attractive in my opinion. Any thoughts as something like your pane to fit the Hornet?
RH

DUCATIF1
02-20-2003, 05:05 PM
I have guy in CA that does engine turned panels for Street Rods at reasonable prices. A 3" by 14" piece is about $150 with holes cuts. They are stainless but not sure if you would have to have clear powder or anodize color applied to protct from salt or corrosion? Cool web page for gauges and speedo and tch resto is LSPEEDO.COM. Brian

Rootsy
02-20-2003, 06:14 PM
i was surfing by rex marine - www.rexmar.com (http://www.rexmar.com) today and they currently are closing out some gauge packages... vdo, Rex accu-comp (by autometer) and autometer pro comps.. all sold in packages at what i feel are dang good prices...

BUIZILLA
02-20-2003, 07:40 PM
http://store3.ying.com/l/nisongerautomarine_1623_91964729

BigGrizzly
02-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Jimg, that tach has got to go the igniton trun through it so when it fails the boat stops!It was origionally a teleflex unit that eas discontinued. I have two broken ones-same problem. I went with the Teleflex replacements that you already have in your boat. Both my Criterion and the Corsican have them. The 1966 has the original Teleflrx guages except for the tach-Thats why we keep the broken ones someday we will gut it and replace the inners. BTW Pearsons panel is the one I would choose If you ever meet him you'll know why -everything he does is top drawer, I don't think he knows how to screw up.

JimG
02-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like the Teleflex Heavy Duty is the only game in town.

JWCall
02-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Grizzly,
Are these some of the original teleflex gauges that you were refering to? Did they come in the donzi's from the factory?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jwcall001.jpg

smoothie
02-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Jim.
Check out cp performance (http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Gauges/171.asp) they have the SW original classic style,I purchased the deluxe chrome amp meter for my cig and it matches perfect!!!!!

JimG
02-21-2003, 06:50 AM
JWCAll, now that's what I'm talking about! :)
THAT's what I want my dash to look like. Does anyone have a set of those gauges sitting around for sale?

Smoothie, thanks for turning me on to CP Performance. Looks like a good source.

CDMA
02-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Jim,

Congrats on the new boat. I use the Teleflex Heavy Duty gauges in my boat. I am VERY happy with them. They give me the classic look I want and have been reliable after 3 years of wet use in salt water. That being said you should look into gaffrig. Not many people know but gaffrig makes a black face chrome rim gauge that looks like our gauges. The only negative is it says gaffrig on the face but it is unobtrusive and tasteful. While I am totally happy if I had it to do over again I would at least give strong consideration to the gaffrigs. They, in my mind have the best marine features out there.

JW those look identical for the old set of gauges that came out of my 68 18. I think they made those gauges from about 66-70. Would your boat fit in that range?

Chris

Holder of old gauges like above....someday for me... :)

JWCall
02-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Jim,
Yeah mine is also a 68 18. It is orange on white with a HM 351W.

riverrat
02-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Jim G , I'm putting you on the long list of Donzi fanatics.. welcom to the club.. I think the idea of coming as close to stock is a good one :D
keep up the good work

the rat

CnV & Family
02-21-2003, 07:40 AM
mattyboy,

I picked up some gaff 2's that are white faced. I don't have any bezzles yet, but I think they look sharper than the black faria gauges. Ours is a white (w/teal) 97 16. different style, but you can still get the feel of how it would look.

I'm still toying with changing the dash panel, but haven't found anything that really screams _buy me_ yet. I'll try to get a pic up the first of next week...

-C

mattyboy
02-21-2003, 09:56 AM
JimG, sorry but the gauges are already spoken for, glad to hear so many people doing their gauges will have alot people to bounce things off of.
CB+v I do like the looks of the gaffrig II's but I think the regular gaffrigs are better gauges. I will probably post a poll here this wekend with the various gauges I'm considering

Matt

JimG
02-22-2003, 06:28 AM
CDMA, thanks for your input. What does Gaffrig call their black-face gauges? I'm having a tough time finding them. I went to gaffrig.com and waded through there for a while, and didn't find them. Thanks!!!

Jim

BigGrizzly
02-22-2003, 07:42 AM
JW The guages are of early type but the tach is a Sun and not stock. Funny I used the same one because it was cheaper it turnes out to be mor reliable. Teleflex makes a similar but the face is different I beleive. However the instrument is one of the best on the market with minium failures. When I keep hearing of failures from Gaffrig and Graffrig II as well as Fariea. Just my Obsurvation.

JimG
02-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, I used my "New Boat" discount at BoatUS and bought a full set of Teleflex HD's. I got the tach for $57 (list $94), and the small gauges for $19 (list $34). I'll install them on Monday. Pics to come!

JimG

Fish boy
02-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Maybe a little late on the post, but I saw this on a beautifully restored 1968 18'. I hear these have been "reliable after 3 years of wet use in salt water" wink
Fish

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples67.jpg