PDA

View Full Version : The Best Anitfreeze 4 WINTERIZING??

Air 22
11-05-2002, 10:10 PM
OK..HELP....WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED ANTIFREEZE FOR A 454MAG IN THE DC AREA? WE FREEZE BUT NOT LIKE FARGO!! IS A MIX RECOMMENDED OR JUST BUY AN AUTOMOTIVE BRAND? I'M TOLD ONLY CERTAIN TYPES HAVE A RUST INHIBITORS??

MOP
11-05-2002, 10:28 PM
I use regular permanent anti freeze, over and over! In the spring I was my bilge put the plug in and drain the freeze into the bilge h=then drain the freeze into a bucket then finally jugs till fall. In the fall after it has settled all season I drain it off minus the residue, I then add 8oz of Nal Cool which has very good rust retarding qualities. I use less than a 1/2 quart a year. I am still not real comfortable with the F/W stuff, a few I have heard about come out really dark in the spring which tells me the blocks corroding. I suppose you could do the Nal Cool thing to that stuff, any diesel shop would have some.

Craig
11-06-2002, 06:31 AM
I just use good old salt water. Doesn't freeze unless it's real cold and it's easy to find. Works pretty good. I winterize every season and replace the engine every other season.

Air 22
11-06-2002, 06:49 AM
Craig....
U have a good idea there...A good excuse to just get an HP500 and stop messing w/ the small stuff!!
I just one the lottery so Engines are no expense...hell either are boats for that matter...
Thanks for the laugh..made my day!!

mattyboy
11-06-2002, 11:52 AM
so not to worry -100 antifreez run thru at temp then pull all plugs no worries u can re use if u want.

Madpoodle will recomend maybe Capt Meyers or Bacardi, but I find they don't keep u warm on a cold northern night the way, Jameson, or Jagemiester,or yukon jack do wink :p :D

there I beat u to it Poodle :rolleyes: :D

Matt
properly miestered