PDA

View Full Version : 1993 18' Classic w/ 351 King Cobra

goose
02-19-2003, 12:01 AM
I am looking at buying my first Donzi. I live in Eastern Washington- not many Donzi's around to look at. Would the King Cobra be a reliable outdrve and would parts get very expensive in the future? Would this boat have a substantially lower resale value than one with a 5.7 Mercruiser? Thanks for any ideas you can give me. Your website has been a big help in my search.

riverrat
02-19-2003, 05:35 AM
goose, that drive is very good & parts sould not be a problem for several years to come.
as far a price that's an OMC era boat some people say they were not built as well then as they are now or pre-omc.. I don't know.. I would look at blue book value & if it's a clean boat go for it! you will love the ride!

the rat :D

BigGrizzly
02-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Parta are not a problem. The engine is a good motor and very durable. That engine powered most of the ski boats made. My info from a pro skier is if he wasn't sponsered, that would be his choice. Me, I have had great luck with that motor. I would buy that combo with no regrets.

MOP
02-19-2003, 08:32 AM
I have 91 16 an OMC era boat, with the Cobra not King drive. It has been said they were not as good a boat, I have had nothing jump out say poor quality. The boat weighs the same as before and after boats, so I doubt if they lessened the construction. The motor is a 302 Ford built by me slightly warmed up, Chevies are more popular. The Fords are just as durable and are better adapted to marine conversion. I was an OMC/Volvo tech and shop foreman for many years. Honestly up until the Cobra series drives OMC drives were not as good a Merc and Way Way behind Volvo in quality. OMC during the early times should have stuck to outboards that they were good at. The drives hurt their reputation. The Cobras and King Cobras have proven they are very good drives. In my eyes having seen both Merc and OMC parts laid out and compared the OMC is a fair bit stronger and better thought out. The King I think in time may get a near Volvo reputation. I am extremely biased toward Volvo having been a trained factory tech and in my about 30 years never had a major job on one. Our Merc and OMC guys were always very busy. I am still very involved with many local dealers the feed back is the same with Late OMC drives holding up extremely well. Volvos still seem not to break, look on any shops drive rack for drives waiting for repair 99% black drives. True there are more black drives out there, but even up here on the Donzi net the only drives you here of major repairs are black drives. To get back to your 351 hooked to a King it is under worked, I have several buds with 460 Fords hooked to them running the poop out of them with no trouble for a lot of years. Just go out and enjoy Donzi Daze and forget having to fix it, it will more than likely last longer than you will ever keep the boat

oldLenny
02-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Is this the Teal one? I looked at it a couple years ago...on Lake Union. They are too pricy in WASH in my opinion. The '93 Teal one with no thru hull exhaust, 351 and King was 15$ US and faded...

Good luck in your hunt. There is a 22 that they have been trying to sell at Seattle Boats for about 4 years...a fresh 502 , 1982 boat I believe. :D

goose
02-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys for your prompt responses. Lenny, this boat is in CA. The only Donzi's I found in the Seattle area were 22', a little too large for our inland waters. I'm 180 mi East of Puget Sound, but we only get 6" of rain a year. The hull tag on this boat shows that it was built by Chriscraft. I don't know if that makes a difference in the quality of the hull or not. The boat is only $1,000-1,500 less than the 1995's w/ 5.7 Mercs that I looked at recently in Florida. Getting one here from FL looks to be about $2,200. I did find a 1969 18' w/ 1989 5.7 volvo for about $10,000. The hull tags were missing, but it looked like the pics in the archive section( except for the added on windshield and frenched in docking lights). Any thoughts or advice for a rookie on this first Donzi purchase are greatly appreciated. Thanks again-Goose

Craig
02-19-2003, 11:40 AM
I was once told that OMC and Volvo got together at some point and they used the best of the 2 company's technologies. Volvo Drive had a superior clutch system and OMC, over the years (by the time of the Cobras) had evolved a very good hydrodynamic "drive shape" for good speed and handling. It seems to me that by looking at the outside of them at least, that the "hybrid" story seems possible. The newer Volvo "SX" drives (to me) look like the old Cobra drives. Have seen some pics here of 18's with Cobra drive and a big block. They look cool with the exhaust tips spread so far apart! You know there's something big in there! I have also heard, as Griz mentioned, that skiers prefer the 351 to the 350. Somewhere I read it's due to the better low end torque. Another plus - it's a bit more like the original classics that seemed to mostly have Fords.

mattyboy
02-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Goose first let me say welcome you will find all the answers here from the great members of the board. the omc drives are strong and reliable finding a mech might be hard and props are not has abundant like merc's but everyone who has them loves them. from what I gather the omc boats might be lacking in finishing touches, but are put together well,
good luck on your "need for speed Goose"
sorry I had to throw that in you'll find I'm sorta the class cut up around here Goose

Matt

Mark Albers
02-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Duck Duck .... Goose wink

Pictures of a 92-18 Classic

I have a 93-22 Classic with a King Cobra drive mated to a big block 454
No problems at all

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnzi92-18.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnzi92-18.2.jpg

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

RedDog
02-19-2003, 08:57 PM
madpoodle:
Merc has a Flo Torque hub kit for them, P/N 835270Q 1 that should work on your drive so you can run Merc props..Madpoodle - after viewing posts for 2 1/2 years this is new to me! Please - do you you have any more insight on this "Flo Torque hub kit"? What would one cost approximately and from where?

Thanks - RD

PS - Goose - I have a '90 18 with King Cobra and a 454. I like the quality of the hull and the drive. Don't hesitate if it looks cared for.