PDA

View Full Version : BOATING LICENSE LI NY

DUCATIF1
02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Do you need a lic. to drive a boat in NYC area? How long is the course? Where can I take it? Any good marinas on the South Shore?? I am looking into Minx but owner is being difficult, what's a foot or two of snow show me the boat!! Thanks again Brian

Scott Pearson
02-19-2003, 05:57 AM
Brian,
If the Minx dosnt work out with this guy let me know. I know where a super clean one is with a factory 350 Tempest motor. Its been in fresh water all its life. The boat needs nothing. Its has about 250 hours on it.

(NJ)Scott

HyperDonzi
02-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Im not sure if it is a law there, but if your a new boater, take the course. You might learn something really important, and I think insurance is cheaper after taking the course also.

Tommy

mattyboy
02-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Brian,
the course is about 6-12 hrs in NY state and it is mandatory for any one under 14 who drives a motor boat with out an adult,under 16 for a pwc and will be mandatory for all pwc riders of any age by 2004, I would assume by 2006 all plearsure boaters will need the course.
it is well worth it my 14 yr old son took it last year from our local CG aux. unit, very good course he now can operate a pwc or motor boat by himself but needs practice before he gets the 16 wink
I would assume NY state law handles the great south bay but once you hit the ocean not sure
do a search on ny state motor vehicles and it has a boating section

Matt

MOP
02-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you may be new to the boating scene, dockage on the south shore is tight. I would be looking hard now. You may want to look into a boating course even the seasoned find some good pointers. But best of all you will be in a Donzi soon! And there is no licensing so far in NY.

mattyboy
02-19-2003, 11:45 AM
here try this
http://www.nysparks.state.ny.us/boats/
look under boater education
pretty neat site they even use little donzi's a white and blue one and a white and yellow one in their illustrations on rules of the road wink :D
matt
man I need winter to end I'm losing it

DUCATIF1
02-19-2003, 05:35 PM
I have signed up for class in early March. It is 2 day 8 hrs boating safety course. Hey MOB how are waters in LI?? Any calm water spots to blast around on that won't tear up 20-22' boat? or is it all open ocean? Like I said I know nothing about boating or LI waters I grew up in Queens with the largest body of water was the Astoria Pool (public pool).

HyperDonzi
02-19-2003, 05:41 PM
To prepare for it, go down to the local boating store and get the free boat law book. Basic rules and laws, read that through a few times, and the test will be easy. Me and my dad took the course together and I did better than he did on the test :)

doug hess
02-19-2003, 10:37 PM
On LI there are many courses given by the Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadrons. They usually start in March and are inexpensive. Most insurance companies give a reduction in premiums if you have taken one of the courses.

In a car if your disabled just wait for help but in a boat it can be lethal. Many of the deaths in LI waters each year are of people getting into problems they didn't know how to avoid or handle.

Formula Jr
02-20-2003, 04:15 AM
Doug, you bring up a good point. Being on the land is different than being on the water. There are other things to keep in mind; like water temp - the big killer. Most people don't drown. they just get cool. And then they drown.