PDA

View Full Version : Old Donzis and Georgia law enforcement...

JimG
02-17-2003, 05:21 PM
About 30 miles south of Atlanta, we're cruising along at around 68mph in a 70mph zone and I spot a count sheriff's vehicle on the other side of the freeway. He crosses the median at high speed and closes on us REAL fast. He rides along beside us, on my left for about half a mile before motioning me over.

When he walks up I hand him my driver's license and my concealed carry license. He immediately relaxed, and said something about seeing my RIGHT wheel wobbling. (I'd been watching real close, and knew there was no wobble. He couldn't have seen it anyway.) He suggested I pull over at the next stop and check them, which I did.

We get back on the road, and within 3 miles another sheriffs car, along with a State Police unit are behind me with their lights going. Once again, out come the licenses. This guy chuckles, grins and mumbles something about my trailer tire wobbling. I smile back at him, and tell him we just got pulled over three miles back for the same thing.

The cop laughed, and said, "You want to know why you are being pulled over? Drug traffickers from Texas come to Georgia, buy old boats and stuff them full of drugs. Then they drag them back to Texas."

I asked, "Well, then why aren't I being pulled out of the truck and shook down?"

He told me it was because of my concealed carry license. NO trafficker will carry a gun while transporting. It adds 20 years to the sentence!

Then he got friendly, and asked all sorts of Donzi questions! He even got pretty close the year model when he guessed. Nice guy, former Houston street cop.

So, a word of warning: dragging a classic boat through Georgia is like screaming, "PULL ME OVER!" I wouldn't do it with a can of Bud in your lap!
:D
JimG

Sam
02-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Good story Jim !

Sam

Mark Albers
02-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Jim Bo wink

Next time you see "Buford T Justice"

Ask him more about drugs headed West to TX

Never heard that one before

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

tailwind
02-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi Jimg:

Thanks for that great episode! And also for our Southern Law Enforcement officials. We are glad that your outcome was a positive one. Even though it was a hassle, I hope we all can consider this versus other consequenses. On another note, it is important to learn of various state laws concerning carrying a sidearm.

This may be an important note to our DONZI folks, who travel across state lines accordingly.

So let me here start a post: Here in MS, our vehicle is considered our home, and thus we are empowered to carry a firearm (without a concealed license). We however are compelled to let the officer know immediately of such possesion and where the weapon is located, upon a traffic stop.

As we all travel state to state, we should all know the regs associated - nough said?

Randy

BUIZILLA
02-17-2003, 08:26 PM
JimG:
So, a word of warning: dragging a classic boat through Georgia is like screaming, "PULL ME OVER!" I wouldn't do it with a can of Bud in your lap! :D JimGYou, by chance, wouldn't have been by Newnan when this took place were ya??

Jim

don't ask me how I know about *that* area :rolleyes:

Ranman
02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
I wonder how many kilos of blow passed you and the cop chatting "Donzis" on the side of the freeway???

boldts
02-17-2003, 10:56 PM
Good story. I'm sure it won't be the last. Last year heading to GA for a gathering, I'm towing the Donzi through Cincinnati when some Donzi girl gets on her phone to her husband and tells him she just saw a blue Donzi Classic. The husband's name is Todd Somerville and the Donzi girl, Jill Somerville. Todd told me about Jill seeing me driving through Cincy at the Eufaula gathering. Sure is nice to know in our travels we'll never have a problem getting help if needed. Just flash-em the Donzi! :)

tailwind
02-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Most very humorous sidelines guys considering indeed where our DONZIS are born, here in the South! please let us all consider crime stats all over!

JimG
02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh, I didn't mind it too much. They were very polite, and professional. And I guarantee they didn't miss anyone going by us. His eyes were on every vehicle while we talked!

I don't know too much about that route, but I know that I-59 through East Texas is a huge trafficking route from the east coast to Houston. I had a bro-in-law in law enforcement there, and you would not believe some of the busts he was involved with. So I would imagine those cops knew what they were doing. :)

Just another part of the Donzi experience. These boats are definitely noticed! I will have the proper GC equipment on board at ALL TIMES! I have a feeling the water cops will notice us too!

JimG

HyperDonzi
02-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Why are they worried about Georgia to Texas, I thought a lot of the drugs came up from Mexico through Texas and then was distributed?

Interesting story

Tommy

JimG
02-18-2003, 12:48 PM
HyperBaja, see above post about I-59 SOUTH through east Texas. A lot of this stuff flows south to Texas, I guess. Houston is the fourth largest city in the US. I guess there must be quite a market. Like I mentioned before, these guys in Georgia were watching SOUTHBOUND traffic...

HyperDonzi
02-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it is pretty big, I always thought it all came through Texas, Florida and Cali.