PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find.......

Cuda
01-14-2002, 06:18 PM
This part that is missing. This is a shorty alpha outdrive. It is not an original SS as I thought it was. It is some sort of aftermarket nose cone. The part misssing is a waterline. It measures 8.5 inches center to center.
http://www.geocities.com/fla_cuda/Outdrive.html?1011054147020

HP 600SC
01-14-2002, 06:29 PM
You can make that easily out of steel braided hose
or buy it from Bob's machine in ruskin FL.
Is that the ss drive that was for sale on the
registry a few weeks back?

SS18
01-14-2002, 07:35 PM
The ss drive from a few weeks ago is now in NJ.
I purchased christmas eve from jim in daytona.
1;47 ratio SPOTLESS! can't wait to install on the 18 classic.New world heads,new carb almost complete but I want to buy a clever and not sure what spec to buy? Maybe I should ask in donzi talk.

Jim in NJ
PS.Thanks to jim in daytona biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Looped
01-14-2002, 08:19 PM
MBE,
Have you checked this cleaver out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1060906807

Craig

boxy
01-15-2002, 07:49 AM
HI Jim in NJ,
Congrats on the SS purchase, after spending some time talking to GeneD, I know you're going to very happy with this drive.
Maybe it's time to change your name from Moody Blue Exterminator to SS 18. biggrin.gif
Take care

AVickers
01-15-2002, 09:01 AM
I've got a pair of those things with fittings. My rig came with them, but the hydrilla in my local lake would wedge between the hoses and the drive to the point that the prop would cavitate... I couldn't even stay on plane! frown.gif

I worked out a different solution for my cooling and, after one season, it seems to be working perfectly. biggrin.gif

The original modification was by High Performance Outboards in Ruskin Fl.

Cuda
01-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was told Bob's Machine had them, but when I called there, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. My mech called them today and the part is on the way. Guess I don't speak marine mechanese. Should be ready by the tomorrow.

SS18
01-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi boxy,
Point taken and have considered a name change.
I wonder if the HarborMaster could help? Or do I just register again?

Jim in NJ
Ps. The blu is not a bad guy. rolleyes.gif

boxy
01-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Hi Jim, if you click on my profile at the top of the page you can change your "displayed name" this allows you to leave every thing else the same.

Post A Reply
my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

Good luck

SS18
01-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi Boxy,
Thanks for the help! I tried this once before but it didn't work.Must not have hit the edit key.
Anyway going to try some Mercury High Five props
with some help from local mechanic's used inventory before actual new purchase.

Thanks again,
Jim in NJ
PS The new name is kinda catchy ya think! wink.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

boxy
01-16-2002, 08:48 AM
I like it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Let me know how the prop testing goes.

Forrest
01-16-2002, 04:13 PM
High-five prop on an Alpha SS? No way! You'll need a Mirage, Turbo, or maybe even an "outdated" three-blade cleaver prop to make that thing run. I seem to have had the best luck so far with a 23" Merc outboard cleaver on my Alpha SS/302 Ford setup in my '72 16. Ask GeneD, Bertram Boy, or the Grizzz!!! You're going to really like that SS drive on your 18. Extra ponies and hydraulic steering always helps with the SS as well.

HP 600SC
01-16-2002, 07:02 PM
YEA!....what Forrest said.

SS18
01-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Hey Forrest,
I currently have 23 mirage was going to send out for cleanup and cup.Do you know does it pay to have it lab finished by hydromotive? They claim to
thin, sharpen and cup for better performance.Or
any info from anyone would be great!

Thanks,
Jim in NJ confused.gif

BigGrizzly
01-17-2002, 07:29 PM
I know how Hydromotive is made, and lab finishing would be a waste. I have done some testing for them, and can tell you they are a good prop. They had a old rep of dropping blades on high power boats, that stopped 2 years ago when they hardened the props.

Do what Forest says. that Little Giant just flat flies. I personally would do the Turbo Lghtning, or the Hydro. My boat runs well with them.

Randy

Doug L.
01-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi
SS18
Isn't there some side water inlets on that gear case?
I have a SS CLE it has low water pick-ups (two .250 holes) on top side of case I wish I
had inlets on side I don't think the drive really
needs a low pick-up as deep as it is.
Dosen't Forest have a SS-CLE case for sale?
One weed in the SS can cause me problums,
but I wouldn't give up!!

Note: The OB MOD VP CLE is not the same as the
Alpha or so I am told by Mercury HP

Doug

SS18
01-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Doug,
I'll have to check It's still in original carton from Mercury.If I'm not mistaken Jim in daytona
told me it had both high and low and be extra careful with sucking sand when you beach.Does forrest have one 4 sale?I could be intrested in that for a future project.Randy if you could post address for turbo prop site I'm going to take all the advice I can and check this out since props can be costly mistakes. confused.gif
Thanks,
Jim in NJ cool.gif

Tomahawk
01-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Grizz - the dude has a Mirage 23 now (not a Hydromotive) and was asking about getting that lab finished. I don't know the answer but, if the Mirage 23 is in less than pristine condition, I would have it cleaned up at least.
Forrest and Ted - if you effectively raise the X dimension (shorty), would you want to change the diameter of the prop? BTW Ted, pretty neat tattoo!
Jim -The turbo web site is a little hard to find but it is www.turbo-props.com. (http://www.turbo-props.com.) I like the Turbo1 for my boat but the shorty might change things.
Best deal is to get together with some other guys. Everyone bring all their props with the express purpose of doing a bunch of swapping and testing - like at AOTH II. Try before buying, if you can.

Doug L.
01-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Sorry SS18
I was refering to the photo Cuda posted my mistake
but keep me posted on your SS I would like to know
about the water inlets.
Doug

Ps: I have a Hydromotive and a Mirage