PDA

View Full Version : Carter Carburetors

Danny
01-14-2002, 10:47 AM
My 73 21 GT has a 350 GM bloch from Chris Craft with a Carter Carburetor. I am having difficulty identifying which model of Carter it is, any thoughts on where to find a model# on it or how to identify it?
Thanks Danny

AVickers
01-14-2002, 01:23 PM
I've got a couple of Chris Craft engines in a cruiser of the same vintage. Small Block Chevies... They use the Carter AFB-series of carbs.

These are now being manufactured by Edlebrock (I think...).

Once you get used to them, they are fairly simple and easy to work on. They are very subject to crud buildup in the accellerator pump non-return valve in the bottom of the float bowl. They are also subject to accelerator pump wear and/or the plunger/piston dries out and won't seal properly in its bore.

Unfortunately, this carb doesn't seem to take well to sitting up for long periods of time -- as happens with some boats... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif confused.gif

Forrest
01-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Actually, Edelbrock carbs are built by Weber.

Blewbyu
01-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Actually-BOTH Edelbrock and Carter are built by Weber-and most of the common ones are identical aside from the name on the front.I much prefer them both to the Holley I have on the Donzi.Don't care at all for the Holley "Power Valve" concept.
Just like Chevy vs. Ford motors-everybody gots their own preference! tongue.gif

JOHN SCIBERRAS
01-18-2002, 04:46 PM
I believe that the Federal Mogul performance parts catalogue has a complete section on carter AFB carburetors for marine applications as well as engine parts including Ford FE series engines(390,427) . This may be helpful.I agree with the comment about carter vs holley having had both on various donzi boats and cars.

ClassicRazorback
01-18-2002, 10:21 PM
I think the model no# is stamped on the base by one of the 4 bolt holes.
I have a few car models I'll look at tomorrow and see where the no#s are.

chris

Danny
01-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your help. Turns out that its a carter 6281S. Had to settle for a kit from GM for a hi-performance 350/454.

Danny