PDA

View Full Version : marine vs. auto engines

Tony
01-12-2002, 10:52 PM
My insurance company hired a mechanical engineer to inspect my overheated engine. In preparation for this important meeting I need to understand exactly what makes a marine engine different from an automotive application. Assuming this investigator will not be marine experienced, I want to be well versed with my own knowledge of the differences to help support my case.

The inspection takes place Monday, and probably determines coverage or not, so any help you guys can give me on this topic is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Ed Donnelly
01-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Carb,starter,alternator,are marine designed. Starter and alternator are sealed so no possibility of sparks. The carb has overflow tubes so if the carb floods out the fuel runs into the engine not outside on the motor. Marine engines also have brass frost plugs, not steel.

Formula Jr
01-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Well the secondary systems are not sealed, they are flame proofed. The main difference in a boat engine is it is basicly an industrial engine as opposed to a consumer engine. A 900 to 1200 dollar difference. Mostly its the application of Stainless parts where a Land engine just gets steel parts. And the valve train is completely beefed up on a marine engine. The gaskets are also different. Are they looking to replace cost of an automotive engine? Cause we should just be looking for pricing on Marine Replacements. The differences are subtle, but many.

BigGrizzly
01-13-2002, 02:40 AM
You, guys except for the distributor and coil etc. There isn't really that big of a difference. In your motor the block is a normal auto block and heads Flat tappet cam etc. with brass freeze plugs. The older engines didn't have Stainless valves either. My 1966 H&M The Corsican H&M 351 Cleveland ant the Origional 1981 Criterion didn't have stainless either. All these had off the shelf auto parts except for the Carb, and electrical stuff. The 1966 still doesn't have stainless valves, and won't(no need at this point

Randy

GIXXER
01-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Most marine engines due to high heat also run inconel valves that transfer heat a lot better then stainless steel valves.
seattle wa.