PDA

View Full Version : nitrous oxide ???

Rick
01-08-2002, 08:39 AM
I know that nitrous is a superoxyginate, but will it allow the same motor to produce more torque at the same RPM or do you see the increase in torque by achieving higher RPM? I would assume a richer jetting for the nitrous. Haven't researched it yet, just in the thinking stage. Thanks Rick

PaulO
01-08-2002, 10:32 AM
Rick, I believe that the introduction of Nitrous will produce more Torque at the same RPM and throttle settings than without. From what I have read, the result is similar to that of supercharging where the Nitrous produces an effect similar to a denser charge.
PaulO

Ranman
01-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Rick, Although carb jetting may need some tweaking, typically your carb settings remain the same. When using nitrous, you introduce both nitrous and add'l fuel via injector nozzles controlled by the system. If you just sprayed in N20 only, you would have an instant lean condition and BOOM.

GEOO
01-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Rick,
I have run NOS on several occations, for a few years on my 18 Donzi with a few different engines. Nitrous gives an instant boost regardless of rpm. Nitrous will put too much stress on your engine below 3-4000 rpm's. I had mine rigged on a trigger switch, which would only work above 5000 rpm's.
A 100 hp kit will give approx. 100 hp boost at any rpm. 100hp @ 5250 rpm's = 100 ftlbs. 100hp @ 2000 rpm's (I don't have the formula infront of me) is like 250 ftlbs (will brake your engine). etc. 100hp kit hit @ 6000rpm's = 75ftlbs.
If tuned correctly it is great stuff. GEOO

harbormaster
01-10-2002, 06:57 AM
I had a "progressive" nitrous system on my v18 914 porsche that worked well. It metered the amount by the throttle postion. It was less stress on the engine at lower RPMs.

Dennis
01-10-2002, 11:28 AM
I'm currently running Nitrous on my X-18! It is the 150 HP Kit from NOS. I believe theres alot more to it than meets the eye. First you need to decide what you want to do with your boat. If its just GO FAST all day-long don't buy Nitrous. If your just looking for a Kicker and bragging rights it will fill your needs. If I had to do it over I would put my money in the Engine not Nitrios.(Its close to the same Money) It took me $800 before the $400 kit worked only to find that during the learning period it cost me 2 pistons and that ended up snowballing into a full rebuild that snowballed into a High Performance Rebuild and it goes on and on. I wish I would have gone strait to building the engine in the first place. You will here many HORROR stories about Nitrous until it gets tuned in, Then its OK !
Now the Nitrous is causing new problems. It comes in so hard it rolls the boat on its side and scares the *#%@ out of you. I need P/Trim to stop it. I got Volvo!!! Here we go again!!! I believe that if it was the answer to affordable speed you would see alot more of it. Oh and buy the way, a 30lb bottle = 10 minutes use for $30 I hope your convinced!! SEE YA

GEOO
01-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Dennis,
The stuff is fun. On my new motor 434ci (550-575hp + 100hp) I wanted to see how the boat would react to an extra 100hp. I thought I might do this so I had the engine built with thicker piston tops.I just used it above 5500 rpm's to give me a few mph's. (And For the Lake George Fall outing) You know, I heard about this HP500 22 with a whipple and I thought, I may need some help; I had the kit from a few years back, while testing to see how the boat would handle more power on top of my 383ci, 375-400hp + 100hp).
When I hit the button at 5500 rpm's my WOT rpm's increased from a top speed of 5850 to 6350rpm's 88 to 95 mph) It just pushed me back in the seat. eek.gif
I used a 100hp NOS kit, (47 NO2 jet, 53 fuel jet) @ 900lbs, with bottle heater. (the heater switch was wired to my running light's and Chris was nice enough to have been running around with my lights on, so the bottle was nice and warm.) I installed a tee into my high pressure Fuel pump for the injection, into a fuel regulator. Set the fuel pressure between 5.5 & 6 lbs. Programmed my ECU to only allow the NOS to engage above 5000 rpm's, only at full throttle, with an automatic NO2 shut off if fuel pressure to the plate dropped below 5.25 lbs, would back out 6 degree of timing ( 35 to 29) went activated and would run on a new Air fuel ratio of 10.5. I could lean it out alot after carefull plug reading. The standard 10lbs bottle last about 80 seconds. A 100hp kit uses 1.0 lbs of NO2 every 10 sec. can only use 7 to 8 lbs of NO2 before presure get's to low. It worked great for me , a tank would last all day. At 80-90 mph you can only stay on the button for a few seconds (30) and you've covered a mile. Start slowly!!! I played with 50hp, 75hp etc checked plugs, fuel presure and worked up to 100hp on my 383 so I was more comfortable and knowledgable on tuning. (where is that spell check??? Scot!!) I took it off this winter if anyone would like to try it or needs some info I'll be glad to help. I have all the parts for a plate system fits Holley. The boat like's the extra hp!! GEOO

Gearhead99
01-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Use to run my 18 with a 351W and volvo outdrive. Added a 150 HP NOS kit. When I would hit the button it would push the motor an additional 1000 rpms and about 10 mph. It was a rush.

I had a 20 lb bottle. It was great to race another boat, he knew you had the Donzi mistique, and be WOT, when he would know you were out of motor and grinning ear to ear as he started to come around you....THEN you punch the button and pull several boat lengths away instantly. What a rush.

I would set the trim tabs to lean the boat to one side, to off set the torque lean when the NOS came on. Hey, it worked. People in the boat thought you were nuts as you leaned the boat over with the tabs BEFORE you hit the button.

NOS was also great out of the hole to eat up those outboards that loth comming out of a no wake zone against a legendary Donzi. They know that they are quick out of the hole....until I would hit the button just as the bow started to come down. Heck it would spin the prop so hard and throw so much water I was mistaken for a jet boat sometimes.

Oh, what a rush...

DonCig
11-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Great article on building an engine to use NOS.

<a href="http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-10.html">Engine Building, by SPEED-O-MOTIVE</a>

Air 22
11-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Over time which puts more stress on the engine..

NOS or a Supercharger? Use being...going fast once and a while...mostly cruzing knowing ya just have the "punch" Leaving the engine alone it will last longer but IF I were to try one of the above options.... which might have the better life expectance? :rolleyes: ...oh it never seems to stop... :D

Rootsy
12-01-2003, 10:01 AM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D

BigGrizzly
12-01-2003, 06:33 PM
After having a blower for a while and knowing what NOS will do to stres the engine and components. The only safe thing about NOS is that youy will run out of the gas just befor you blow the motor. If you leave it on too long bring it on too soon you can motor and outdrive. Inital cost is cheeper. Me I like the supercharger rout myself. Granted my engine isn't stock but my son's is and he runs his real hard and has for two years

MOP
12-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Been lurking on the thread, NOS kind of scared me years back when a Bud put a kit on a Honda CBX which blew sky high the second time he hit the button. But my curiosity got to me I bummed a ride in a friends NOS Mustang, we were running 65 on the north road he hit the button for what I think was about 3-4 seconds triple digits were almost as instantaneous. He also has had the motor apart a few times since the install but say he lives for the rush! Yeah he is 22 and every dime goes into the car.

BUIZILLA
12-01-2003, 07:53 PM
My .02, as I hate NOS, but nonetheless, I don't think any high pressure tank,like that setup has, deserves ANY place on a boat.

J