PDA

View Full Version : MINX OR CRITERION

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Ok, hope I am not wearing you guys out with questions. I want to make purchase by end of month beginning of March before everybody smells summer and jacks up pricing. I see everybody raving about Bob's Criterion? I have e mailed him and will be in touch. I am a little unsure about the seating arrangement although the boat looks about what I am looking for. I have also found a small block 21' Minx?? I know big blocks are better but it is a lot less money. This is my first boat and heck I might not even like boating so I might go with the less is better route. Anyway what about this Minx?? Is it just a type of classic? Sort of like a z28 to a Camaro? Rare boat? Special features that makes it different? Thanks again Brian

TORYSMINX
02-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Ok I see your delema, I have a minx and I have been in Bob's boat also. The criterion rides better in my view. My minx has a built 383 and it moves just fine but the standard small block will have to be tweaked to get good numbers.

I will tell you that I have driven his criterion and it rides and runs flawlessly. It is a smooth throuout all power ranges while mine has to get up on the cam since it is a small block.

If you see Bob's boat then I live not far from him so you can see my minx and compare. But if I was a buyer I probably could not pass up his criterion. It has the best of everything...

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks amd once again it seams like everybody loves this Cri but it seams to be for sale for quite a while?? What length is Minx? Is it basically a Classic? What are some differences?What colors did they come in? I am not worried about small block as I always have plenty of hi po SB parts laying around. Thanks any pics??

harbormaster
02-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Make a decision and buy the criterion before someone buys it out from under you.

Scott Pearson
02-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Scot,
He better decide soon...I'm heading up to Bobs is a few weeks to look at his Criterion. If its as nice as Bob and Everyone say's it is. Its comming home with me.

(NJ)Scott

RH
02-13-2003, 06:28 PM
They are both really nice boats, the Criterion has a unique seating layout that is really nice. The Minx is a little smaller yet very attractive as well. I like them all, buyt have never driven either boat. Not seeing the Minx, Iwould opt for Bob's Criterion as it looks to be in impeccable shape and very well equipped. IT's not like you would be buying a new car and driving off the lot losing a few grand in on minute. You will not get hurt with the Criterion and I tend to think that after one ride and all of the oohs and aahs from passers by will confirm how cool the Donzi Marque really is. Good luck and get your checkbook out!
RH

TORYSMINX
02-13-2003, 08:35 PM
I would look at bob's boat first before you look at this other minx. His criterion has the original gel coat and it in great shape. The interior is flawless and it was hand done over and the work and stiching is impecable.

I really like this boat and if I had the spare cash I would make him an offer.Motor, drive and interior is mint. Definitly worth the ride to see it. A beautiful example of a Criterion.

Good luck.

olredalert
02-13-2003, 09:33 PM
------Dont be put off by the length of time the Criterion has been for sale.Rare DONZIs sometimes seem to take awhile to sell but they do sell.You will not regret the Criterion experience.Its a fantastic boat.Matter of fact it was John Chisholms (owner of DONZI at the time)personal favorite.He had a big hand in the design because he wanted to develop the perfect gentlemans speed boat...........ol red........Bill S

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 09:35 PM
Either you guys are all cousins or this must be some boat?? I will give him a call this weekend. But what about the Minx what makes it different than regular Classic??? Actually the seating set up is what is what I am not too crazy about on Bob's boat. Thanks Brian

Rodger
02-13-2003, 10:03 PM
I have driven Minx's and I have an F22 which is the same boat as the Criterion except different seating. The Critrerion will ride like a bigger boat, and handle rougher water than the Minx. The Minx though is much quicker handleing, more similar to an 18 or 16. (I also have a 16 and have owned an X18). If you water ski, the Minx will be much better. The Criterion will be a terrible ski boat, but that isn't it's intended purpose either. I honestly would have a difficult time deciding which boat to buy. If your going to be in rough water much of the time, strongly consider the Criterion. Good luck.

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 10:14 PM
What is the difference between a Minx and Classic?? Confused is not the word. I am not used to being the person on the questions side when it comes to mechanical items. I am looking for boat to cruise around LI and maybe a trip around the city. I would live to buy DONZISHAWNS 18 as it looks amazing and is reasonably priced but think it is too small for non bay or lake use? The Criterion looks great and is at the high end of what I wanted to spend on 1st boat. The minxs is sort of in between but really don't know what makes it a Minx?? I just want to go from Bayside area to the Hamptons on sunny days and get their quickly and in style. I love odd or different items and that is what is drawing me to a Donzi. Thanks Brian

Ed Donnelly
02-13-2003, 10:17 PM
The Criterions demand more money due to the limited run for each of the 3 models.It took me 10 yrs to find mine. I missed out on Barry Gibbs (The BeeGees) by 1 hr. But then I lucked out by getting John Chisholms personal Criterion. If you don't like the attention don't buy the Criterion. I am forever getting stopped by guys in Fountains,Scarabs, Outerlimits, Etc. etc.Questioning me about her. Half the time they make offers on her because Criterions on so rare..The Criterion is a poser's boat,you drive it to be seen...Ed

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Only looking to impress myself. But I do like the rarity of the boat. Thanks

Barry Phillips
02-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Criterions are rare rare rare, the hull is similar or the same as a Classic 22, cool gentleman's racer seating. Can handle big power if that's your taste. The Minx is fairly rare to but no so rare as a Criterion. The Minxs is 20 footer and it has more free board than an 18. Really nice lines and windshield, the only downside is most of them are small block / Alpha power packages. I almost purchased a clean navy blue and honey Minx several years ago but with the small block it could only muster 58 mph. If you are a beginner 58mph isn't a bad thing, the 496 Mag or HO Bravo 1 can come later. I have seen Donzishawn's 18 2+3 run fast and stable, but I'm not sure about running around NYC, the Hudson can get pretty bumped up, a lot of big boat traffic. A Minx could be a nice choice. I think Donzishawn's new handle is going to be Fountainshawn, only a rumor.

SO-SLO

Hotspare
02-13-2003, 11:19 PM
DUCATIF-1 ,,,,, Being a first time Boater,,, You've kind of Entered a Lions Den Here ......LOL. But that's Cool .... Anyway back to your Question,,, The biggest difference between the Minx and the Classic, (In my opion) is the Name ...... The Minx Hull fly's, and handles more like an 18, and the cockpit has more of a 22 feel (deeper & more leg room) both are Classic .... The Minx also has a little more flare in it's deck design, and option's for stainless or plexy wind screens ..... A little more refined than the classic's .... ( A Gentlemans Classic) That's what I think I'm trying to say ........ Hope This Helped A Little ............. Two Things you should consider out there ,,,,,,, Bigger, And Faster are (Usually) Better ....... If you like the Minx, your really gona like the 22's ....... Keep up the research, your doin good ...... Bruce.

Dalelama
02-14-2003, 01:25 AM
The Criterion is the 22' hull... so it's an official "classic" design... different topside config... Minx is similar in design, less beam w/ 38' Cig hull... sized down (21') Minx is not classic" design, but more refined (my opinion)

Minx runs better w/ SBC (less weight) good in rough water, not as good as the Cri... (bigger is better), but more weight w/ wider beam+length,BBC, ect.

Most rare - Corisican, Criterion series, Minx

knee deep
02-14-2003, 04:25 AM
Criterion, Criterion, Criterion, I wish I could buy the damn thing!

PaulO
02-14-2003, 08:10 AM
I live on Long Island and I know both boats. I can give you one word of advice - "criterion". This will suit your water conditions much better. I love the Minx but, you need the bigger water capability to be happy around here.
PaulO

DUCATIF1
02-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks Paul. I get so many mixed reviews about boat length that my head is spinning. There are some great deals on 18's. If I am not wrong you have an 18? Is it really that small for the area? I am calling about Criterion but I really am unsure about seating arrangement and would rather have carb set up as maintenance on any aftermarket fuel injection system can be problems. They just dont have the testing and support that the big names or OEM set ups do. I have installed them in cars and usually the only ones that work are those that use factory style computers and accys. I have found very nice Minx for about $14k and there is DONZISHAWNS 18for abot $11.5. Classics 22" seam to have the widest pricing on identical boats? I am leaning towards small block to start which I can always upgrade. I am honest to say that criterion may be too much as a first boat?? I am going to hit a dealer or two next week to check sizing. Any good dealrs in Nassau or West Sufolk?? Thanks Brian

Budmann
02-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Duke... I've read all the posts, and I'm with you on the seating. I'm assuming by your name that you drive a "Pocket Rocket"! The Minx will give that same feeling. The Criterion is av very nice boat, but I feel it is not the "white nuckle" ride that the Minx. I also love the deep cockpit the Minx offers. Just my two cents worth. Don't want to upset the Registry.

wintersux
02-14-2003, 04:36 PM
If I could get rid of a my red headed stepchild Donzi 22Z(which I do like) I would by the Criterion in a heartbeat.

The seating arrangement/driving position is great.

harbormaster
02-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Ducati?

Do you have the money in hand to buy a boat right now??

The criterion will be an awesome boat. Better than an 18.

OEM and Aftermarket fuel injection kicks a carb's butt any day.

When was the last time you heard some one say : "I have to rebuild my fuel injection"?
You doen't hear it. Now repeat that last statement and substitute carb.

Sound familiar?

I have a carb on an 18 classic out in the driveway that needs rebuilding. I know.
I also know that if I had a choice between an 18 classic and a criterion I would take the criterion any day!

Get my drift?

Barry Phillips
02-14-2003, 05:20 PM
I checked out the Criterian, if this is your first boat, 75mph can be a hand full, even for a 22, for a beginner speed merchant. I have a 1998 Classic 18 with a carbed 350 Vortec and a Bravo 1 making 250 HP. This boat will run a confirmed 65mph with 2 aboard and about 35 gallons of fuel. The boat is white with a black stipe and Silent Choice through hull. The motor is stock except for a remote oil filter kit from Mercruiser. On Donzi's new website click on Donzis across the county and it's the first picture you see. It can also be seen on this site under my name. The package includes a matching custom Performnace trailer four bunk trailer. She is a freshwater only boat and it's never been left in the water, garaged only. I customed ordered it from the Lake George Boat Company, because of the color and the Bravo 1 was only available with the MPI Magnum at the time. I have seen 67mph in it alone and it can be a handfull, but it's a fun handfull. I love the Minx as I mentioned before I almost bought one that was in near perfect condition, but I still think it's under powered with the small block, and the Alpha drive will restrict how much you can hotrod it, thats why I special ordered the Bravo 1 when I purchased my boat. If you want to add Big Block power to a the Minx, and you will, you need to spring for the Bravo for the sake of reliability. I can be reached at barry.phillips@verizon.net.

A shameless pitch,
SO-SLO

BUIZILLA
02-14-2003, 05:20 PM
FWIW, I am in the fuel injection business, and have been, for well over 20 years..

With that being said, I, myself, was VERY interested in Bob's boat. That Criterion has the FAST injection system, which today, is probably the BEST all around setup going for retro applications. Bob and I talked at length about it. He does have the O2 sensor to make it closed loop. It IS laptop programmable. I seriously doubt any programming or maintenance, needs to be done to the EFI system. Without a doubt, I would have bought that boat for myself, and made *some* detail improvements, which is mostly engine room detail. However, for *ME*, I also would have had to buy another trailer since I am in a salt enviro, his trailer is painted steel, and then have the package shipped to Miami... more $$$. If that boat was on an aluminum tailer, and closer to me, it would be in my possession.

The EFI fuel *package* is sound, as far as the FUEL system goes, if that is of any concern... had I lived closer, perhaps for a closer inspection and joyride...I could see myself doing the deal.

*I* feel, it's a class boat, if not in a class by itself, being offered by a class seller, whose heritage needs to be continued.

Jim

AVickers
02-14-2003, 05:27 PM
I had an old Holmes that had the helm in the "back" seats. The ride back there was much smoother than for those sitting in the front passenger seats. Same for the Criterion. For the way boats hit most waves, the further back in the boat you are, the less pounding you take.

The problem with this boat comes with using it for anything besides cruising -- fast or slow -- for which it was designed and for which it's a GREAT boat. If, on the other hand, you plan to use the boat at all for pulling a skier or wakeboarder or just a tube, you might want to look elsewhere... I would also suggest that more than four people in the Criterion would be crowded.

The Minx is a great boat -- I almost bought one a couple of years ago. The one I looked at had a BB Chevy w/ an Alpha in it. I don't think I would have looked twice at it w/ a Small Block. (At the time I had an 18 w/ a Small Block and felt like that was about the limit of boat size that a single SB should support. I liked going fast and the SB C18 not only goes fast, it feels fast.)

The problem w/ a Small Block in a bigger/ heavier boat is that you have to prop them down a bit to have a decent hole shot and you lose top end dramatically. I ended up buying a BB 22 Classic -- great hole shot, goes faster than my 18 and still feels fast...

DUCATIF1
02-14-2003, 09:35 PM
I think the boat looks incredible and still is an option. I stand my ground on the fuel injection system as even if you are in the business there is no way you can tell me that any aftermarket fuel injection system currently on the market is a bolt on a go situation. The fast system is a great system with vast adaptability but that is the problem it requires a laptop and tuning for optimum fuel curves. Yes it does work as a plug and go system but not as well as a stock Chevy tpi system. It eliminates too many sensors to run without the additional tuning. The boat probably runs great and may do so for years. The problem is when you run into a poor running condition with one of those systems you can't break out the old snap on and diagnose it requires a lap top and some research. They are great for modified race engines but hey so are forged pistons but for the same reason they are not used on 200k-mile engines are reliability issues. I have used the similar accell system with great results but would never put it on daily ride. As far as carbs needing rebuild??? How many vehicles have gotten 75k to 100k without touching a carb? Plus a $35 rebuild kit isn't a bank buster. When you are stuck out at sea and begging that thing to go into limp home mode you will understand. Please do not take me wrong fuel injection is the wave of the future and does allow radical motors to be used in situations never before but unless you have a 100k mile aftermarket (not OEM) system on your vehicle car or boat I am a little skeptical. There is a difference in aftermarket speed parts and OEM time tested pieces in regard to reliability. The smaller company just doesn't have the resources. If I was building street strip car with radical motor I wanted to tame I would not think twice about the fast system. I am not fuel injection hater and I am installing '92 LT1 in street rod as we speak but it will run off of factory computer set up. I still think there is some plot to get me to buy this boat?? Relatives? Investors? Big joke? I am only kidding and love all the info. I am leaning towards the minx I am sorry but it is approx a negotiated $13 as opposed to bob's $18k I am calling Bob this weekend to discuss his boat. Hats off to bob, the fuel injection co, and anybody else who helped build that boat because it appears to have grabbed the attention of some pretty big Donzi fans. Thanks and I am laughing because as I am writing this I realize the only thing I own with a carb right now is my lawnmower.
Thanks Brian.

BUIZILLA
02-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Brian, have another drink, and re-read what you just wrote... I mean SHOUTED...

J

Not one to plot ANYTHING, but I have been known to plan.. wink

Stix Magill
02-15-2003, 09:35 AM
I have a Minx with 350 Mag /Alpha. I've owned boats since I the age of 12. I am plenty happy with a top speed of 60 and a cruising speed of 45mph. Plus, it sounds like you can get alot more power with your knowledge of engines if that is a priority. I think people get a little hung up on top speed.

I recommend you buy the Cri. or the Minx, whichever one is cleaner. The condition of the boat, every little scratch, ding, etc. will start to bother you after a few months.

If top speed is the most important factor, go Cri.

Also if you plan on getting airborn often, the Alpha is not the way to go (unless you really know what you are doing). It may be that both of these boats are too small to circle RI when it is rough. I love the 18, but it is not a dry ride and feels to me like a wild sled ride.
If you find a clean 22 that you can afford, BUY IT.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck!

Eugene Nahemow
02-15-2003, 11:43 AM
I can't believe no one from this board has snatched up this boat yet. I would buy this boat in a heartbeat if I only had more dock or garage space!
:mad:
Let it find a good home quick before I start building another lift.

Ed Donnelly
02-15-2003, 06:57 PM
If the fuel injectionis the only thing stopping you,REMOVE IT..For what you can sell it for you can pick up a maniifold, carb, dist,etc. etc. and make money in the process. But why bother? Ask anyone on the registry who has aftermarket F.I. There is a LOT of initial programming to be done,BUT, once it is dialed in ther are no other changed to be made.. The Criterions F.I. has been programed, just look at the top speed..No I am not related to anyone on this board, but have inquired about the Criterion, and let him know that I was NOT interested in purchasing. Still he E-mailed me back all the info I had requested.. That is a class act......Ed

KMLFAMILY
02-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Edward Donnelly
[QB]If the fuel injectionis the only thing stopping you,REMOVE IT..For what you can sell it for you can pick up a maniifold, carb, dist,etc. etc. and make money in the process./QB]My thoughts also.This boat is also advertised in the local Want Advertiser ,so whoever is interested better not drag there feet to long.
Anyone coming to the area and needs an extra hand.I am close by e-mail me.
Ken

BigGrizzly
02-18-2003, 04:02 PM
The Criterion is not too much boat for a first or last boat. I own a blown Criterion and both my wife and 15 year old drive it. I also have an 18 Corsican and my wife says she likes driving the Criterion better. Male your choice but I've owned mine for 4 years and it is the boat I was looking for but didn't know it until I got it!! I take mine to the rallies and everone has loved it. the seating is great. rides better than the new classics. Funny you always have threepeople in the boat so with a Classic the third person is in the back and doesn't seem like they are part of the group. Have fun if you don'r get it Pearson will either way it will get a great home.