PDA

View Full Version : Volvo speedmaster

olredalert
01-10-2002, 06:44 PM
------Ive seen so few of these Volvo lower units that Im not even sure what to call them.Today I ran across several of these units.I have absolutely no idea what one is worth(they are for sale).Can they be rebuilt?And at what expense?If done correctly,what kind of performance gain could one expect?Are they actually shorter than the standard unit,thereby changing the"x"demension?Or are they the same length?How about props?I know,I know,too many questions.But if you have knowledge on these could you tell me about them?
------To top it off,Saturday Im out of here for a couple of weeks,and wont be able to respond.So if you answer after that,please dont think Im being rude.I will get back to everyone,as I appreciate all your inputs!.......just........ol red!

Voodoocanoe
01-10-2002, 06:57 PM
Red, I sent you some pics

GEOO
01-10-2002, 07:08 PM
I installed one on my Volvo 290. One day to the next the boat ran 8-10 mph faster. (68 to 78 mph).
Volvo no longer makes part's, anywhere. I purchased mine four yaers ago for $ 1,500.00. You need to run a water pick-up, the drive does not have holes to pick up water. If your boat is fast; you will need to add External steering. The "E-Drive" removes all the torque pull from the prop. The torque pull is good for control, it keeps your drive fighting to turn one direction and doesn't wobble, until you jump a wave. (the Volvo wobble) The E-Drive without external steering can turn right and left 1/4 to 1/2" at any time, no torque forcing the drive in one dirrection. It's the helmut on top of the drive that wears and has way too much play in it. Even when the drives are new they have too much play. the E-drives were often modified by increasing the cavitation plate to help the boats in the holeshot. Mine had an extended plate. The drive is shorter and will work fine with your standard drive height. GEOO

bverd
01-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Red... I have been looking into getting one of these. Will you share your finding?

Geoo... Great info. You don't see an issue on my X with the 280T do you? External steering is coming soon. What if the lower unit came before the steering, should I do one before the other?

Thanks --Brad

olredalert
01-11-2002, 10:02 AM
------Great stuff,guys.
------GEOO,

------You have a 290.I have a 250.Will the unit fit a 250?I know Ill suffer somewhat from lack of trim,but will try to offset this with those double piston Bennett tabs.The place that has these units(used)seemed to have very little info on props.Whats the skinny there?Also what type of external steering do you have and is it the best,now that you have lived with it?
------Thanks for all your input!!!!!!......just........ol red!

olredalert
01-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Bverd,

-----Hope you will understand,but I cant let the cat out of the bag yet.Once I get one or more of these(used)units bought Ill be happy to.Its just that at the moment Im cash challenged,and Ill be out of town for awhile.They arent going anywhere(trust me).I wont leave you out if you are really interested...........ol red!
-----Voodoe,Im terrible on this computer,and cant seem to pull up those pictures.Thank you for the effort........ol red!

bverd
01-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Red... Understand, patiently waiting. rolleyes.gif

GEOO
01-11-2002, 10:59 AM
My E-Drive took Merc outboard props with a small hub. (over the hub exhaust type) I used a Mazco Prop. My boat ran 76-80 mph with a 383ci 375-400hp. The boat was dangerous with the E-drive without external steering!!! I'll look for some pics. or call me any time, if you have questions (203)258-5222 GEOO

olredalert
01-12-2002, 09:09 AM
-------Thanks GEOO!!!!!!!!!!ol red!

Donzified
01-13-2002, 03:50 PM
let me know if one comes available ,I have the exter steering.Yellow x 18
thanks keith