PDA

View Full Version : Meet at the Detroit Boat Show?

boldts
01-09-2002, 08:17 PM
The Detroit Boat Show is happening February 9th through the 17th. Is anyone interested in meeting at the show either 2/9, 2/10, 2/16, or 2/17. Donzi Marine is slated to be at the show. I see it has a good opportunity to meet both new and old friends at the show. Let me know if and when. cool.gif

Brad Lyon
01-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Scott,

It would be an honor to meet you! Let me know what day works best for you and I will re-arrange my schedule.

Brad

boldts
01-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Brad,
Saturday the 9th probably works best for me. 4 hour drive, opens at 10:00, brochurs readily available, plenty of time to get home should snow decide to fall. wink.gif

Brad Lyon
01-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Scott,

Saturday the 9th. works for me. What time would you like to meet. I will find out where would be the best place to meet in Cobo Hall and let you know where that might be. I will also send you a email with my cell phone number.

Brad

Sagbay32
01-10-2002, 12:08 PM
We will probably be going as well. I will try for the 9th.

As it gets closer I will let you know.

It is about 45min to an hour for me.

boldts
01-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Sounds good Mike. I'm hoping to be there no later than 11:00 A.M. I haven't been to Detroit in a few yrs. Also, I have a Xmas list waiting to be delivered. Unfortunatly, a new 22 special ed isn't on it. Just parts for my special ed 18. How about the Northern Ohio guys, anyone interested in joining us?

komikazee
01-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Scott,Brad,Mike,
Are you still planning on the 9th for the boat show? If so, where are you meeting at? Would like to meet up with all of you. Let me know, Thanks.

Tracy

KRAVEN
01-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Will try making the show,hope to finally meet.

Sagbay32
01-19-2002, 07:09 PM
I am not sure if I will be able to go. I can't commit yet. If I can go, we could do something like meet at the Donzi dealer at a certain time. I will be wearing my new Donzi hat I got for Christmas so I will be fairly easy to spot. biggrin.gif

Tony
01-19-2002, 10:41 PM
Scott (and Brad),

I may be going, too, and will e-mail you to exchange cell phone numbers as we approach the date.

boldts
01-19-2002, 10:59 PM
Looks like we have possibly 8 so far counting me and a gentleman who contacted me through e-mail named Doug Lovins. I like the meeting at the Donzi dealer idea. Someone pick a time. (Lunch break?) Can you give me the name of that dealer? (I know, I could use a zip code from one of you MI guys and get it.) Here is the list so far.
Brad Lyon
Mike Neering Jr. - unsure
Tony Sporer - maybe
Tracy Palmer
Bill Kalinowski
Turbo2256 - Sorry, Haven't met yet, so I don't know your name.
Doug Lovins
Scott Boldt
I'll be wearing a white polo that says Midwest Donzi Club on the left chest. Not sure about a Donzi hat, but maybe. Looking forward to meeting you all. Anyone else able to make it on the 9th? smile.gif

turbo2256
01-20-2002, 01:30 AM
I will be there Sat are you shure of the starting time thought it was 11 or 12

Sagbay32
01-20-2002, 08:25 AM
This is off the official site:

The Detroit Boat Show cruises into Cobo Center February 9-17, 2002. Admission to the boat show is $9 for adults, children under 12 are free with an adult and senior citizens over 62 receive free admission on Monday. HOURS: Saturdays 10AM– 10PM; Sundays: 10AM – 6PM; and Mon. – Fri: 3PM – 10PM. Parking is available at Cobo Center and surrounding lots. FOR MORE INFORMATION on the Boat Show, please call the MBIA at 1.800.224.3008.

I can't wait to turn 62 (in 27 years he he he)

Brad Lyon
01-21-2002, 11:49 AM
Hey guy's

I went to the auto show at Cobo the other day. I thought we could all meet at the front entrance. There is a large bronze statue of some guy that was a boxer, I think his name was Joe Louis. It is right at the front entrance on the main level. I don’t know who would display Donzi’s in this area anymore. How does 11:00 AM on the 9th work for everyone?

Brad

Sagbay32
01-21-2002, 09:37 PM
Looks like we are going on the 9th too. If you want to meet at the statue that is fine with me. 11:00 should be do-able.

The bigger Dealer has got to Bayshore up in Traverse from what I've seen. I know at www.donzimarine.com (http://www.donzimarine.com) the dealer locator says Club Royale in Waterford. I have been there and was dissapointed. All the owner had was one 22'. I asked him about it and he said he wasn't sure he was going to retain the Dealership due to poor service and support from Corporate Donzi. I had to stumble around his back garage to find the 22 just to look at it (with no help I might add). I hope they aren't at the show frown.gif

Brad- Cobo hall is right next door to
JOE LOUIS ARENA biggrin.gif

Brad Lyon
01-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Mike,

I guess my joke about Joe Lewis wasn’t very good. I had the same experience with Club Royale. I bought a really nice Donzi sticker from them a few years back, then this last summer when I was looking to buy a Donzi I called them and they said they were not a dealer for Donzi anymore. Same story with the dealership in Algonac (or there about), he had one boat left that he said he would sell at cost to get rid of it. The only dealer left that I know of is in Traverse City, but I can’t imagine he would come down to Detroit for a show.

Brad

turbo2256
01-21-2002, 09:57 PM
How about the one on Cass Lake

Sagbay32
01-21-2002, 10:06 PM
No, Sun and Ski Marina on Cass lake is not a dealer anymore....yet. That is where I bought my 18. They are going to look into becoming a dealer in the future. I wish they would. They were great to deal with and very service oriented. My salesman, Mark Barnowski could'nt have been any better to deal with.

Hey Brad, I think it might be Ali biggrin.gif

KRAVEN
01-22-2002, 04:42 PM
I purchased my 2002 scorpion from Skisensation in Brooklyn,Michigan.The owners David and Connie are very plesant and the service is excellent.David has a 38ft.Donzi,and has a few in there showroom,they were at the show last year

freeplay
01-22-2002, 05:06 PM
I'll try and make down there also. Unfortunatly this is hitting close to the Miami Boat show and i'll be down for that. Not sure of my flights as of yet

Those guys are great over @ sun-n-ski matter of fact my donzi is sitting in the showroom......ah yes if it's gotta be in storage let it be heated.........cheers !

Tony
01-22-2002, 07:18 PM
Why would the Grand Rapids boat show run Feb. 12-17, overlapping the Detroit show? If we don't go skiing I will be there. I'll have to get a cell # from Scott Boldt, in case I miss the appointed meet time.

boldts
01-31-2002, 09:35 PM
2 weekends away. Can't wait! The new 22' Classic bug as hit me bad. I'll be checking everyone's used boat pictures. I know freeplay has his Blackhawk for sale and it is a beautiful 22.

We meet at 11:00 a.m. at the Joe Lewis statue. Anyone got a future weather report? Since we're meeting outside? I guess you need to know coat color? I'll have a red coat on. 5'6", glasses, jeans, dirty blond hair.

Looking to pick up a cell phone tomorrow. I'll let you know the number if I do. Brad Lyon cell number is 248-219-4997

Tony
02-01-2002, 08:32 AM
Scott,

Here's a teal 22' (http://www2.yachtworld.com/broker/br_listing_detail_handler.jsp?company=seattleboat&boat_id=940525&units=Feet&currency=&listing_id=&page=broker&mls_true=) for a reasonable price. It's in the boats for sale section. Trouble is...it's in Washington! If I had the dough I'd buy Freeplay's Blackhawk in a heartbeat. You are right...it is georgous!

Brad Lyon
02-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Scott,

The Joe Louis statue is inside. It is in the lobby of Cobo Hall next to the front doors. I will wear a red Detroit Red Wings coat, sorry I don't have a Donzi coat yet, still looking for a nice one.

Brad

turbo2256
02-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Still planing on being there altough I am meeting some friends from work there at 10. I have white hair and beard black leather 3/4 length jacket.

freeplay
02-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Hey guyz, the 9th is looking good for me, I'm not sure if i can meet @ 11:00 although i'll have my black "FREEPLAY" coat on or a black Race Rock coat .

Thanks for comments on the Black Hawk, Keep in mind i'm in the market for another 18' 2+3 classic. Hope to see you guyz there. wink.gif Chris

Brad Lyon
02-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Question, is anyone going to bring their Donzi girl? My wife is asking if she will be joining me or not.

Brad

boldts
02-04-2002, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure if my wife and daughter want to make the trip yet, but I do now have a cell phone. The number is: 614-286-1442

Donzified
02-06-2002, 12:01 PM
The 9th is good.Yes my Donzi girl will be there too.

Free Play.. Watch out for those heated storage areas, mine bit me ,but good..Ouch!!!

Brad Lyon
02-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Anyone else bringing a Donzi girl and can we get a final count of who will be there? Maybe we can make some plans to have a late lunch or something.

Brad

Sagbay32
02-06-2002, 09:02 PM
I believe my Wife is coming with me.

I hope the snow/rain in the forecast holds off 'til later.

Tony
02-06-2002, 10:01 PM
BUMMER! I have to referee volleyball Saturday and am unable to meet up with you guys.

MAJOR FAVOR: I have yet to see the 2002 Donzi brochure, any chance somebody could pick one up and mail it over to me? If anybody's willing say so here and I will e-mail you my address. I'd even be glad to send postage. I am excited to see it since my two loves are in the brochure...my wife and my boat!

THANKS!

Brad Lyon
02-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Tony,

If I see them I would be glad to send you one. Send me your address at b.lyon@birmingham-hydraulics.com.

Brad

Tony
02-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Brad, I just fired you a note.

Hey youse guys, maybe you could discuss dates for a Lake St. Clair/Detroit River gathering while at the Boat Show. With our consultant/honorary member Scott Boldt present, maybe we could start a contact list of MI people who want to have 2 or 3 mini-events in our Great Lake State. If you do this over a cold beer it could be considered the first official meeting...like that gang of crazy Florida guys with their 12 month season and slow-paced living!

Dr. Dan
02-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I heard they're bound together like a herd of cats!.... biggrin.gif I think this is our year for our 25th High School Reunion, so I know I'm up that way the weekend of August 17th. Also planning a family camping/Boat gig over in Muskegon/Grand Haven, the week after the 4th of July! Anyone interested in hooking up with a fellow Spartan on either of those times, it might be COOl? cool.gif ...Doc

Tony
02-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Dan,

I'll make note of those dates...I hit the west side of our state quite often in the summer. Is your 25th a high school reunion? What high school? I went to DeLaSalle, back when it was next to the city airport in Detroit.

Brad Lyon
02-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey Scott,

I just checked weather.com to get the weather report for Saturday. Looks like smooth sailing for you. Should be in the low to mid 40's, sunny to partly cloudy. Hope you have a safe trip, I'll see you at 11:00 AM in the loby of Cobo at the statue of Joe Louis.

Brad

komikazee
02-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey Ya'll,
Been busy the last couple weeks. Just got home, and headed out again. I'll be at the boat show, with Donzi girl in hand. Can't stay real late though, probably be leaving around 4 pm. Hope to meet all of you in that time frame.
Gotta Go
Tracy

Dr. Dan
02-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Tony, Yes, it's a Howell High School Reunion, Class of 1977! Good area to grow up close to everything and far enough away to not have to worry, but now, Livingston County is one of the fastest developing counties! Things change, like my hairline for example! I use to have one! biggrin.gif ...Hope to hook up with you guys sometime downstream!... cool.gif ...Doc

Sagbay32
02-08-2002, 08:47 PM
We are coming to Cobo. I hope to meet at the statue at 11:00am. I will be bringing my Wife and children.

No sitter available, so I hope to be on time smile.gif

Cel: 248-343-2554

boldts
02-09-2002, 04:55 AM
Headin out the door. Thank-you for the weather info. Nice to know mother nature like boats and Donzi people also. Beth and Alison will not be coming with due to those lingering colds we all seem to get this time of year and it really would be a long day for them. Joe Louis at 11:00 and cell in hand. See you all there! smile.gif

KRAVEN
02-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Great to have met all the fellow DONZI owners at the boat show.Hope to see everyone at AOOH2.
Bill and Liz Kalinowski

boldts
02-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Just got home. Had a wonderful day with all of you who made it to the show. Tracy, did you go back and buy that 30' Black Widow? Doug and Brad took me over to a place called Greekville for dinner. I had never been in a Greek resteraunt and when they set the cheese on fire, it's quite a show. Gets pretty warm also. Only downfall to the whole day was that there was not a Donzi other than used ones being sold in the show. I had the opportunity to meet the one and only Donzi dealer in Michigan at Ski Sensation Marina. By the way Donzi, if you see an odd request or question from this Donzi Dealer, I'm the one who inquired about it. What do you guys think, a Special Edition in sheeps clothing? I love to hide HP in a plain jane looking machine. We'll see what kind of answer I get on Monday. wink.gif

Hope everyone got home OK. Thank-you for the experience! What date did we set for the Lake StClair Gathering?

komikazee
02-10-2002, 07:50 AM
Had a great time at the show! It was good to meet all of you, and finally put faces with names.
We went to the Donzi dealer , and he said he may be able to help me with the parts I'm looking for. But in the process we lost you, looked all over. I went back over to the broker, he's calling me when they get the boat to their yard. It sounds very interesting. I don't need a 30' Donzi, but I don't have much will power when it comes to Donzi's.
Scot I've been to a couple of places over in Greektown, and your right, the cheese thing is pretty wild.
Anyway great time yesterday, hope to see ya'll May 9th, so we can put names, faces, and Donzi's together.

Gotta Go
Tracy

Brad Lyon
02-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Here are some pictures. Let's see if I can do this right. I think I got all of the names correctly, if I dont please forgive me. The first picture is of Mike Neering and family (Mike in White Lake). Next we have Tracy & Sue Palmer(Komikazee) along with Doug Lovins and Scott Boldts. The third picture is of myself, Brad Lyon along with Tracy, Sue and Doug again. And the last picture is of Bill and Liz Kalinowski (Kraven).

I had a great time meeting you all, I look forward to some get togethers this summer. I will be nice to see all of these Donzi's with there new color matching dock lines. Boy did that guy make some money from us or what?

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon456.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon457.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon458.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/blyon459.jpg

Sam
02-10-2002, 11:31 AM
Brad great pics ! sorry I couldn't make it but I had to babysit the carpet installer.

Sam

Brad Lyon
02-10-2002, 11:36 AM
OOPS!! The photograph of Mike and family did not work, but I think I got it fixed.

Brad

Tony
02-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Great pics, and commentary. Thanks!

Any gathering dates discussed?

Sagbay32
02-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Brad,
Thanks alot for the pics. We had a great time even though we didn't get to see everything. The kids got a little anxious and I looked everywhere for donzis but saw none. I asked the guy at the main desk and he could not remember where the donzis were. I am even more mad now, knowing that they were there, and I missed them!

I also couldn't find any of you donzi people after we met. Hopefully we can get a Michigan date set up for a get togeather.

Tracey, we will have to meet on the Bay this season. It is a fun place to boat with little or no traffic. Will give you a bump as we get closer to splash time.

boldts
02-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Mike,
The kids saved you time looking. LOL There was a Donzi dealer at the show, but no Donzi boats. Dealer said that all new Donzi boats are order only. Nothing at their marina either. Kinda disappointing when MI is the state with the most registered boaters. Hard to sell these people boats they can't see.

Tony,
Sorry, but no Ford presence at the show either. Mercruiser, Crusader and outboards only. Honda had a personnel watercraft that had a turbo on the engine. Like those things aren't fast enough?

Also for those who have had personnel watercraft meetings of the unexpected type, one of the companies had come up with a no power steering system so the watercraft could be steered even if the engine was not running. For those of you who have been hit by these unexperienced drivers, maybe some hope.

Sam,
We leave Cinncinati at 10:00 a.m. and are holding a tailgate party with coffee and donuts on the morning of the 9th if you all can make it down for it. Our meeting place is off of I-75. I'll post the directions and the exit on a seperate thread under the Events & Gatherings section so we can get an idea of how many will be there on the 9th.

Rootsy
02-11-2002, 07:23 AM
i live fairly close to ski sensations, maybe 10 miles from vinyard Lake and 5 miles from their small shop on Devil's lake. Actually i was surprised when i drove by saturday to see no boats on the lot... i know last year they always seemed to have a few 16's and 18's in stock... all of the larger boats were just pass through from donzi to customer... Seems like it'd be more difficult to sell if you can't look at what you are buying before hand eh? A picture in a brochure just doesn't do em justice... confused.gif