PDA

View Full Version : Comments on buying a 1975 Doral

24'Matt
02-10-2003, 07:29 PM
I just signed up tonight after going out on a mission this past weekend to see an old boat I was told about. I went Saturday in 11 degree weather to find a (seller stated) 1975 Donzi Doral. I know very little about Donzi's but took two guys that have owned older performance boats. This Doral has twin 400 chevy's and Volvo outdrives. I always have heard that old Donzi's usually have FORD power. Being a ford man (I drag race Mustangs) I was interested in ford power. NADA does not show prices for twin powered 1975 Donzi's. What's up? Is it really a 1976 boat? It is orange and white with orange,white, and yellow seats and (brand new) covers and bimini top. It looks like the picture from the Archive files on the '70's Dorals.
The paint is really faded. The rear seat is all new. What is a good price on a boat like this in what i would call fair condition. It needs some love. I don't know the hours yet. I will get pictures when it thaws out a little. I spent an hour out there and about froze. The owner said he used it all last season on lake Erie, without incident. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Cuda
02-10-2003, 11:35 PM
If it's orange, Pearson probably owned it at one point.

24'Matt
02-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Is Pearson a member? I will get a picture of the boat and post it real soon. If it helps any, the boat has a hand painted name down both sides that says "Lickety Split". I checked the whole registry and no one else has a 24' Doral on this site. I heard that this boat was sold once, the title never got transfered, and was reclaimed by the seller, the same guy i'm talking to.

Anyone care to comment on the cost to repaint the hull, or can I wet sand off the name on the side and buff it back out? This thing looks like a great project. I'm going to get it surveyed by a marine repair shop.

knee deep
02-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Don't Wetsand unless you have to! I use acetone and rub carefully with lots of rags so you don't get runs and smears. Try it or another paint remover careully in an inconspicuos spot. If the hull is still gel-coat there are a number of amazing compounds, waxes, and such that will get you amazing results. We used to aggressive a sand paper on the deck of my 18, I used 320, 600, and 1200 then 3m gel compound, 3m perfect it compound, dolphinite color restorer, and dolphinite t wax sealant, it was a ton of work, and just an experiment but we made 35 year old gelcoat look brand new. A lot of work but cheaper than painting!

MOP
02-13-2003, 09:32 AM
You might want to use oven cleaner to remove the name, most of the local sign painters use it. They do test it first as it will yellow some surfaces which needs to be compounded off. I have done it many times as I sell boats and do name changes very frequently it does do a quick job. To protect ajoining areas from either acetone or oven cleaner you can use floral putty and aluminum foil stuck under the area to keep either product from running down on stripes etc. In close areas it pays to brush stuff on.

olredalert
02-13-2003, 10:39 AM
24Matt,

------By 1976 this Doral could have had either Ford, Chevy,or Volvo 6 powerplants,and either Volvo or Merc drives.Other combos probably were available.I just remembered that there was a 4 cylinder (iron duke) Mercruiser combo as well.Although Fords were a possibility,it is more likely that the Doral would have had some sort of Chevy power.With that said,the 400s dont sound like the original motors.I dont remember any 70s manufacturer that built 400/Chev/Volvo combos.If the 400 Chevs are not too built up the Volvos should handle them OK,however.
------The Doral is the famous 24 hull that was built 4 ways.El Pescador,Spitfire,Doral,and Spirit.All four had the El Pescador hull liner and then had the 2nd deck attached to it.This made for a somewhat heavy,but wonderful handling boat.I doubt you will find a better riding 22 to 26 hull anywhere,even today.The entire 24 line was sold to Sonic sometime in 1977/78.Im fairly sure that Sonic built only the Spitfire model,which they renamed the "SS".That makes the Doral in question a pretty rare boat and certainly worth persuing.Go for it!!!!!!!.................ol red.........Bill S

24'Matt
02-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks,

This has been some great information. The current owner said that this boat is really heavy! NADA.com states 4300lbs. I was told closer to the 6000lb mark. That would be along the lines of the hull within a hull if that's what Donzi was doing then. You need a good heavy boat on lake Erie! I was told the boat went 62 mph in its current state of condition. It really is just cosmetically challenged right now.

I have been working today to get pictures e mailed to me to post. Hopefully the guy has them already because we got a ton of snow this week! I'm excited about the boat, and have to start to work him down a bit. Currently he is asking 8000.00 which I think is wishful thinking.
What's a fair price? NADA said high retail 6000. Low retail 4300.00
Thanks again,
Matt

RedDog
02-13-2003, 03:25 PM
If it looks like this (http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell517.jpg) (or could) - WOW!

24'Matt
02-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Red Dog,

It doesn't look this nice but the shape and black windshield frame is the same. It has two front docking lights mounted in the nose up tight to the deck. It is more orange than the picture which seems yellow to me. The red stripe at the water line is a nice touch. I would have to add that for sure.
Matt

olredalert
02-13-2003, 09:54 PM
------The Doral in the factory flyer is most certainly a single screw boat of some sort.The boot stripe is way too high in the stern.My El Pescador,which is lighter than a Doral(one less deck)but is a twin sits down about three or four inches lower.
------By way of comparison,I paid $6000 for my El Pescador in 2000.It had those Iron Dukes I mentioned in good running condition,but I chose to repower with two 350/Alpha combos.It was a painful check to write but,boy,what a boat it made.
------Buy the boat so we can get a 24 meet going.There is an El Pescador down on Lake Erie at Put-in-bay and it would be COOL to have a get-together next summer!!!!!!!................ol red.......Bill S

olredalert
02-13-2003, 09:57 PM
------The Doral in the factory flyer is most certainly a single screw boat of some sort.The boot stripe is way too high in the stern.My El Pescador,which is lighter than a Doral(one less deck)but is a twin sits down about three or four inches lower.
------By way of comparison,I paid $6000 for my El Pescador in 2000.It had those Iron Dukes I mentioned in good running condition,but I chose to repower with two 350/Alpha combos.It was a painful check to write but,boy,what a boat it made.
------Buy the boat so we can get a 24 meet going.There is an El Pescador down on Lake Erie at Put-in-bay and it would be COOL to have a get-together next summer!!!!!!!................ol red.......Bill S

24'Matt
02-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Ol'Red,

I'll feel better about paying the 8000.oo after the servey is done. Seems high to me. The twin V8's is what is driving the price up I would guess.
I get over to the islands often. I rack store my 1976 18' Whaler in the Huron River. It is a long trip in a 18' tri hull to Put in bay! That's why i am looking for a new boat. I am also looking at a 24' Baja Outlaw that was repo'd by a local bank. It was sunk up to the top of the rear seat. Block is cracked, carpet and rear seat is ruined too of course. It will be really inexpensive. Decisions, decisions....

boldts
02-14-2003, 05:02 PM
24' - Here is a 24 Doral from up in your neck of OH I believe. Contact Sean and check out his Doral. He should be able to answer many of your questions.

Sean Gallagher - spgjem@aol.com
2801 Township Road 142
Findlay, OH 45840
1974 24' Doral - SB Chevy 350 with Volvo

Mr. Gallagher's Doral (http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/seandoral.jpg)

anotherScott
02-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Hi Matt, I have a 1974 24' Doral with twin volvo's and chevy 350's. It is one heavy boat and handles snotty water well. Go for it. By the way mine is orange and white, with a black windshield. One word of caution.........get ready for the comments on your orange boat:) Scott

24'Matt
02-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Hey Scotts both of you,

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. The pictures people have posted are helping my case with the wife! If she sees this thing before it gets cleaned up, i'll be sleeping in it. If the weather would straighten out this deal might get done. It is really cold again and we got more snow! The guy has not answered my requests for a picture yet, but he didn't say no either.
Anyone interested in a 1999 or 2000 22' Donzi? It's on the repo list that i get. It might be a good deal. No picture of it , just a description and a contact phone number.