PDA

View Full Version : Call for Help...

harbormaster
02-13-2003, 02:18 AM
I received the following email (feel free to reply)...
###########################

I am in the process of buying a 1996 27’ Medallion. It was kept in Michigan on Lake Erie, kept in the water for the summers. I had to surveyed and the surveyor did notice a few blisters on the hull. He fealt they were typical of a boat this age and recommended getting the blisters repaired and coating the hull with an epoxy coating. My question to you is that I am looking for a suggestion on the repair. I have read a lot of information on the interenet and it seems there is a lot fo botched repair jobs out there. Some articles even talk about not using such epoxy products, because it can make things worse.
Please provide me with any information you can and any suggestions that may help. I don’t mean to be a pain, but the sooner you could get some info to me, the better, because I have not closed yet and would like to have a direction before I close.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

knee deep
02-13-2003, 05:31 AM
The blisters need to be popped, peeled back, ground out and allowed to dry. Depending on the size and number of the blisters the whole bottom of the boat may require peeling. There are a number of excellent products from 3m and interlux for this purpose. The big ? is how many, what size, and to what extent. A few small blisters scattered here and there are easy to self-repair with the right kit, if it is major, have it done. Be sure to sand the bottom thoroughly once finished and apply a top quality barrier coat before refinishing the bottom.

MOP
02-13-2003, 08:49 AM
I if I were you would seek out local knowledge of the possible contaminants in the water where the boat has blistered that may affect doing a lasting job. I have been involved in this type of repair for many years in Salt. In salt water it is extremely important to rid the laminate of salt. I have seen many exceptionaly well preformed jobs go bad after a few seasons, most have usually caused more damage. Many feel that Peeling is the solution, it is one of the best repairs on bad blister conditions. But the most important thing overlooked by many shops over the years is ridding the laminate of Salt. Salt is "hygroscopic" meaning it will draw moisture into anything that is salt saturated. The blisters must be opened and wash frequently with fresh water till there is no salt left. Ok how do I and many others I know test, we taste test. put our tongues against the opened areas once we can no longer taste salt I do one last test. I wet the area again then slop alcohol on the area, it evaporates very fast drawing the last bit of salt to the surface then re-wash for the last time. I use the Petit line of barrier products, but that is only a preference there are many very good ones out there. Be it salt or fresh I feel you need to know the possibility of local contaminants ruing the job.