PDA

View Full Version : Lower units

avanti
01-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Have to change the lube in a Alpha outdrive on a 2000 Donzi 18 Classic. I do not see a level screw in the side of the lower unit, just a drain screw. There is a plastic container on the front of the 350 Mag that I believe has drive oil in it. What is the procedure for this operation and how much oil is needed. Any advice you can give me on this will be appreciated.

RickSE
01-09-2002, 01:59 PM
There is a drain/fill plug on the lower part of the drive just under the nose cone area, sounds like you found this already. The upper level plug is on the port side of the drive in the upper gear case, right in the middle about half way up.

Drain:
Remove both the bottom drain plug and the upper level plug and let it drain. Adjust the position of the drive to insure you get as much out as possible.

Fill:
Adjust the drive to a level position, depending on the boat position this is usually all the way down. You will need 2 quarts of Merc. Hi-Performance Drive lube and the correct lube pump. You should be able to buy the pump where you get the lube. The pump screws into the lower drain/fill hole. Pump in the lube from the bottom hole until it begins to flow out of the upper level hole. Screw in the plug for the upper level hole then replace the plug for the lower drain/fill hole. Check and fill the reservoir in the engine compartment. Take some lube with you on your next trip out and recheck the reservoir.

marcdups
01-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Do not forget to clean the reservoir prior to replacing the oil, it does tend to have some residue in it, remove the tank and flush it out, carb cleaner seems to work best.

My .02 cents smile.gif