PDA

View Full Version : My Minx

speedster77
01-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Before I get to the heart of my posting , I just want to say that I have been a long time fan of this page and I think it is great that the people here put their egos aside and help each other out with their Donzis!
I will now get to the painful part for me, the time has come for me to sell my Minx. My boat came equipped with the an Italian made stainless-steel and Plexiglas wind screen adding greatly to the looks of an already sleek boat. It is finished in blue over tan and has been kept in inside storage & has been professionally maintained for as long as I have owned it. Performance comes by way of a professionally built 350+c.i. Blower Motor that has less then 10 hours running time. The motor is rated at about 500hp (modestly) and uses nothing but the very best in marine performance parts. Also included is an extra outdrive that is brand new, and still in the box. I would like to see $16,000 for her, she is in tip top shape and needs nothing. Please give me some feed back on my price or let me know if any one knows someone that may be interested in her.

Donzigo
01-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Perhaps you might post this on the "BOATS FOR SALES" section to get more response. Your price is probably ok. Good luck with selling her.

donziminx86
02-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Although not looking to purchase another minx, I am very curious as to how fast your goes, do you have and pics, and how much was the engine rebuild? Thanks for the feedback, good luck selling her, don't think it will be that hard!

Stix Magill
02-04-2002, 09:40 AM
I also have a Minx and love it. Your new power should help it sell as some think they were under powered when new. To greatly increase the likelyhood of selling your boat and keep the price up, please give performance numbers, what type of outdrives (you said there was a spare), and lots and lots of pictures. Also, it there a trailer? Where is the boat now?
There are very few Minx boats around. Because your boat is so clean, it is even more rare. Most are in need or at least a minor restoration. Even more reason to POST LOTS OF PICS.

Good luck! I will point some people your way.

Scott

speedster77
02-05-2002, 11:54 AM
Hello fellow minx enthusiasts, Thank you for your enquires regarding my baby. I have decided against selling her for the moment, and in all honesty I believe my asking price was a bit on the low end of its actual value. I was just surfing the net and saw a MINX FOR $ 27K! While this price seems incredibly high, I was delighted to see some one try for a number like that.
Further expanding on performance specs I can tell you, I run my original alpha I drive (with new mostly new parts), time has proven as long as no hot-dogging out of the hole occurs it will actually stay together! Regarding top speed I will say this with the supercharger she scoots across the water nicely. Honestly I have never opened her up completely after her rebuild but at around 4800 rpm’s I am up a bit over 20% more mph (on GPS) from stock. Truthfully, I hate to report on this subject. I have been around speedboats most of my life and I have managed to conclude most of the talk pertaining to boat speed is B.S.; for instance I had a fellow NJ Minx owner tell me he could do 68mph pulling a skier with a bone stock 260 merc package.
I would love to know more about the different series of Minx that were built. Do any of you have information pertaining to their production runs or available options? I called the factory but they did not have much knowledge of the Minx; the most I was told is that in 1986 Chris Craft owned Donzi so they could not assist me with the of history of the my Donzi.

donziminx86
02-05-2002, 12:37 PM
it's funny, there are so many different price ranges on these boats, I seriuosly doubt that anyone would get 27 k for one. Some people think that they can get alot for them because they are limited editions, but 12-18k is a good range. Mine has 82 hours on it due to my father never using it, and just loving to look at it!
Whomever told you that they were running 68 with a skier is full of it. I have been around boats along time and know how to get the most out of a boat, 65 with a empty tank, but a really fun ride. So your running in the mid 80's? Come on need to know!!!

speedster77
02-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi it's me again here to once again follow up. As I stated before I have not real truly opened the boat up. One day a summer I might decide to get a little sporty with her. Unfortunately this years excitement was not officiated by my GPS and I have long since removed my Nrodskog pickup as my friends have yet to out grow the statement of "lets see what this baby can do". So let's use the next best speedometer a compare–o-meter. With a half a tank of gas and a good friend onboard I was able to out run a new 33 foot Donzi Daytona (with twin hp 500's or so I am told at the dock) in flat water. That same day I also out ran a 35 Fountain lighting that seemed to either have a bad driver or a weak setup. Then believe it or not in route to AC we came across any Go-Fast fans biggest dream a 38' Lip****z Edition Cigarette powered by two of the Loudest (Super charged?) Motors I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. If you are wondering, he Kicked my a$$ and yes the ocean was choppy as hell and my baby was as ping pong ball but the whole experience was truly a blast. I guess my point is there will always be someone faster then us. The important thing we should focus on is the level of fun these boats create for us and our friends and family. As my dear old dad says, “That is the stuff that makes memories.” biggrin.gif

Hotspare
02-08-2002, 10:27 AM
got a funny minx story,,,, I bought an 87 minx in 91, the guy couldn't sell it for ever, so I got a deal... 13K later,, it was mine!!! The boat was drop dead dude,,, red & cream, no scratches, crack,s, nothin, just beautiful.... 350 mag, alpha, 23pitch cleaver, half tank, and me.. = 62mph.......... there were only two Donzi's on the lake at that time, so was a major head turner.... Anyway, I get this call, out of the BLUE,,, my son tell's me that some guy called, and wants to by the DONZI ?????? "That's funny" because it's not for sale, and not "listed anywhere"... So he calls again and wants to see it.... I learned at that time, that everything is for sale, for the right price.... He's absolutly liven, over this boat...... asks if I would sell, and at what price,,, I high ball,,, 17.5K, He write's me a check for the full amount on the spot,,,, wow,, just like that, the table's turned, caught me off guard...... this is on a friday, I say that I need to think about it over the weekend,,, he's not happy,,, but I'm starting to have seperation anxiety and need the time...... to make matters worse, my wife, who really never liked the boat, now tells me I,m crazy for selling... What ????? So anyway, I call him the following sunday evening and let him know the boat, is his,,,,, now, in the backround I here his wife going ballistic, but in the good way........ Then,,,,, one month to the day later, the guy I bought the boat from, wants to buy it back !!!!!! I tell him it just sold for 17.5K,,,, He can't believe it..... Not over yet...... Then, about a year after that, the guy I sold the boat to, starts his own boat dealership, and guess what,,,,,, He becomes the area's authorized Donzi dealer,,,, and yep,there's the MINX on his lot,,, now selling for 24.5k...... Can't believe, one little DONZI, causing all that fuss,,,, but the MINX is no doubt, a rare bird, and don't know if there will ever be a clear dollar figure for it.......... I know this opens more questions, than answers, but what I do know is,,, Have fun with it while you can.......... LATER,,,,,,,,,, BRUCE.....
wink.gif

Greg
02-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Speedster77, I have a sheet from Donzi on the minx, it was posted on the baord quite a while back by Madpoodle I think. If you can't find it, it says;
Length overall 20'1"
Beam7'0"
Draft to keel 20"
Gross weight 2700 LBS
Fuel capacity 40 gallons

Under standard equipment it says:12 volt, color coded eletrical system with 8- ampre-hour marine battery, Complete instrumentation- 40 glallon fully grounded fuel system, Electric fuel gauge, chrome on brass filler and vent, bilge blower, automatic and manual bilge pump,windshield, running lights, fire extinguisher, built in ski storageadjustable bucket seats, tonneau cover, lifting rings towing eye, life vests, dock lines, portable horn and Donzi team bag. I'm not sure if that last one is a duffle bag or a woman.

Standard power: 260 Merc.

Sagbay32
02-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Oh, Pleeeeez.
If my one of my(ungrownup) friends say "let's see what this baby can do. We do!!!!!!!!

SS18
02-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Speedster,
You listed the boat before Xmas.I made offer.Ok
low so I hoped you would counter.Your reply sorry
I changed my mind on selling.OK.Now you list it again at higher price.OK.Now you change your mind
again!Please stop this before I need therapy! rolleyes.gif It's beautiful,if you part with it you will never find another quite like it!
After all it's not the $ value that is important,
it's the pride of owning it! and using it is important TOOOOO! cool.gif
Jim in NJ

speedster77
02-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi guys,
So sorry SS18 for the minx up,(hehe) but my boat is not for sale any longer and most likely it will not be for a while. I got a little anxious about having to many toys and trying to buy my first home. I have decided to hang on to my Minx. These boats are very hard to come by and I did search long and hard for her; besides with proper care and up keep Donzi's are as good of an investment as T-bonds and I would venture to guess they are a lot more fun ;-) on the water.

Stix Magill
02-17-2002, 07:44 PM
HARDY HAR HAR HAR.

Don Carone
02-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Anybody know the story on that MINX that is and has been for sale on the DONZI for sale listings.
Red/creme $8500.00, seems to good to be true. A frnd of mine tried to contact with no luck

McGary911
02-17-2002, 10:49 PM
That Minx was sold last friday. Boat was only half hour from me. I took $$ out of the bank on saturday, and by time i tracked the owner down that night, he informed me that it was sold the day before. At least a board member got the boat. Looks like the glass had some soft spots, as hes posted that hes splitting the hull for some repairs. Goto the Wanted board, hes trying to hunt down a gas tank for the boat. He's gonna replace it while the deck is off.

SS18
02-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes I bought the boat shrink wrapped site unseen!
Pretty risky but it was a good number for the boat.I immediately cut the wrap at home stripped the brand new interior to store in heated area.
Next day ran the boat,pulled the ss drive it's in good shape but needs minor service.Stripped guages,throttle,steering and split the hull sunday.It needs cockpit floor repair so I figure tank too,check stringers clean and paint bilge,
plug dash for new guage package reassemble and off
to body shop for new paint!As for power I would like new but have to see what is left after this
stage is done!I have some pictures of the project
I'll load them tonight.Anyone need a 350 mag with new heads,stock replacement exhaust?
Jim in NJ wink

Don Carone
02-18-2002, 07:13 PM
Maybe!! Would it fit in a 16
I am in the process of trying to decide if I will restore a 64? 16' or get it to a good home.
on boats for sale donzi66 is looking for a project but if this motor would work out Id have to keep it

SS18
02-18-2002, 07:37 PM
I do believe it would fit but don't you have a volvo drive? You would also need a transom assembly,coupler and mounts. I haven't researched it's value yet but I can and would be intrested in selling.I do have a sbc lined up I was going to use as spare for my 18 classic but know have
another use for it!
Jim in NJ :cool:

SS18
02-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Don,
Are you serious about the 16 for sale? What kind of shape is it in structural wise? And what is the asking price? Email pictures if possible.
Also I do have alpha drive looks and operates fine
recent routine service before replacing with alpha SS 1:47 1000.00 OBO
Jim in NJ :cool:

Don Carone
02-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Jim
Take a look at it on the registry. The pictures just got loaded today
Let me know what you think. It has a brand new Bilt Rite red and white candystripe interior I got for it last year havn't taken it out of the box yet. it does run but im shure needs freshening up Does have Volvo 270 drive W trim. The deckis a touch soft but the gas tank is fine. I wasnt thinking of selling it till I saw donzi66 looking for a project