PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE NEED INFO

DUCATIF1
02-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Ok I tried below to get some info on used Clasics's but all I got was some story about a bad deal?? I have narrowed it down to a 22' but still need to know which is best years? What should I look for? Pricing on early models such as an 88?? Any good deals out there in winter? Thanks and I appreciate all answers and leads as I know nothing about boats at all. I have strong mech background so if I am pointed in right direction I know what to look for. Where is best place besides here to look in NY area?? Thanks

Murphy
02-11-2003, 07:08 PM
There are a ton of back threads on this site you can search for endless information about year models, engine setups, etc. I like the pre 87 boats because they are from Donzi's original operation. The farther back you go, however, the more likely it is that you'll have stuff to fix. Some of the old parts are now made of "unobtainium" also. You need to read up and look at a lot of pictures on the registry. Things changed as Donzi introduced new design features and installed various combinations of engines and drives. You're basically going to find 350s, 350 EFI, 350 mags, 454's, 454 mags, and 502's in a 22. Drives could be Alpha, OMC, or Bravo. For real speed you need a 502 and Bravo setup. But if you want pretty good performance and lower operating costs, a 350 with Alpha can still do the job. Any number of factors can increase or decrease value. The engine is the least of my worries as rebuilding one isn't out of reach. Drives can be a whole different story. If you can't do this work it can get pricey. Interiors can be replaced. Minor fiberglass damage can be repaired. But if there's major structural damage be careful. I drove all the way to Kentucky to see an Anniversary model and when I got there the entire port side had massive stress cracking. Of course the owner tried to minimize the problem, but I walked. My advice is to post pictures of any boats you're looking at and let members of this board give you feedback. There is no best place to look. Here are the things you need to learn... 1) how to evaluate a hull for integrity and condition, 2) engine types and characteristics and how to determine condition, 3) drive types and characteristics and how to determine condition, 4) 22 Classic model variations, primarily pre and post 1987 differences. This site is the wellspring of knowledge on these boats. Any time spent lookng at past posts is time well spent. Best of luck.

Murph

Tony
02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Ducati,

Patience, pal! I re-read your previous post and feel you are being a bit too critical of the responses. You asked for a general overview of the differences between classic models, and that is what you got...along with some good suggestions about how to search the archives for more specific details.

Keep posting questions, especially as you narrow your search and have some specifics to share with us. Pictures are the best, if possible. Good luck with your hunt!

p.s. The first four boats listed in the "Donzis for Sale" section of this site are two 22 classics and two 22 ZX's. Also listed is donzishawn's very nice looking '76 18 that "runs like a raped ape!" (LOL...I love that line!) Check 'em out...

DUCATIF1
02-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Not being critical of anyone? Appreciate all info given just trying to keep on track. Thanks and keep it coming it helps in my search. Guy with 18 never answered my emails but I have decided it would be too small anyway. The 22 appears to be what I am looking for. Any comparison to a Scarab?? I see plenty of the around '95 22' for about $12-$15. Thanks

riverrat
02-12-2003, 07:21 AM
$12 to $15 dollars is what that Scarab is worth :D between E-bay & this site you should be able to find the boat your looking for.
are you looking for a turn key boat or a project? I don't think I would buy a '22 with a small block in it . I would say the older you go the more chance of problems you could be in for.
good luck

DUCATIF1
02-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Why not 22' with small block? comparison between Donzi and Scarab? What is good price on small block 86 22'?? I have checked but pricing varies greatly for what I can see as no reason on identical boats in same condition? Thanks

Ranman
02-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Ducati,

Comparing a 22 Scarab to a 22 Donzi is like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette. Sure there's a price difference, there's an overall quality difference too. Where's the Scarab registry? Donzi's are very special boats. They're not your run of the mill production boats. Donzi's are also obnoxiously expensive.

Good price on a small block 22? My best advice to you is don't buy one. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but a small block 22 is by far the least desirable. If you really want a 22, get a big block bravo one power package.

Use the search function on this site to locate past discussions on this board that will provide hours of reading. You will find the basic knowledge you'll need to know what you're looking at. After that, feel free to ask away with specific questions. Good luck.

Budmann
02-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Ranman, " no offense taken" on the small block 22, similar to the one I have loved for the last 17 years.

Murphy
02-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Also no offense taken on the small block (which I have) and will push the boat into the 60's which is plenty for me. Right now I'm feeling pretty good about that mouse cause it runs a long time on $30 bucks worth of gas. I'd prefer a BB and Bravo but I'll tell you this. If you find a decent Classic 22 with almost any power/drive combo you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

Murph

riverrat
02-13-2003, 06:34 AM
I think I will re-think my post as well.. gas going above $2.00 a gal.? that sucks!! it's time for the U.S. to use some of our own oil for a while & Keep this sluggish economy heading in the right direction. Hey Murphy.. no ofense .. I had no idea that a '22 could get in the 60's with the small block. how's the hole shot? I know there is a weight differance.. :D
and Ducati, good luck with new new one . welcome to the club any Donzi is cool to me..

the rat..

Murphy
02-13-2003, 10:21 PM
The 350 in my 86 is one of the Tempest 300 series. We rebuilt it year before last with some improvements. These included 1970's vintage angle-plug double-hump heads with the 2.02/1.60 valves and small compression chambers. Those castings were bullet proof and pack a wallop. Replaced the aluminum manifold with a stock cast-iron Chevy high-rise dual-plane. Also bullet-proof and runs cooler. Replaced the pistons with Keith Black racing and I-beam rods to achieve a 10:1 compression ratio. Balanced and port matched. Kept the original cam which was high performance to begin with and in excellent shape. Replaced the original Alpha with an Alpha SS. I'm turning a 23 pitch Hydromotive Quad IV. Unconfirmed, the speedo reads 64 trimmed up on a good day with 1/2 tank and 2 passengers. I stay away from hard hole shots to protect the Alpha. I can say for sure the boat doesn't ride as low in the water as big blocks do. Hopefully this summer I'll run into someone with a radar gun who can tell me how bad that speedo's lying to me.

Murph

DUCATIF1
02-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks for info. Actually I know a little something about SBC'S. Do you know number on heads? They were great for there time but best bang for the buck is the new Vortecs. Smaller valves and chambers will out flow ported "Fuelie" heads right out of the box for about $600 a pair. Restorers love those Fuelie heads and you could probably wind up ahead of the game with brand new castings. I would think the power you are feeling is the increase in torque from the compression. I know nothing about gearing a boat with props? I am assuming you kept same in boat as before and kept your rev's in same place. I hope you did not re use old cam in rebuilt motor?? Lobes wear and at best you have lost 10% due to wear. Modern cam profiles with split overlaps are the way to go on a basically stock motor. As they help flow on exhaust side and usually allow a wider overlap with better idle. Comp Cams 275HE will easily make a REAL 375HP in your motor in a bad state of tune. For the $165 it will be the best money you can spend on that motor. It will work great with your listed combo and give you more MPG to boot. If you think boat is quicker now install new cam and hold on. I am not putting down your combo just trying to help out. By the way with above set up in bone stock SBC 400 with Vortec heads and 275 cam motor made 408hp and 465 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel. Brian