PDA

View Full Version : BUYING USED CLASSIC

DUCATIF1
02-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Ok I am new to boating and want a Donzi. I am a car and bike freak and need something with style and character. I can't afford a Cigarette. Thought about old Scarab? Need input on 22' and 18' models. Is cockpit area same size on both? They appear to be very narrow boats? What was stock power? Too much boat for beginner? What years are the best? Any problem areas to look for? Handling of boat? Hey I am looking for general overview of these boats. It will be used in the NY LI area waters not a lake. Good choice? ANY REAL opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Brian

Laidback
02-10-2003, 01:16 PM
First...if you do buy from a dealer get everything they say in writing. Trust me..I just went through ten months of hell. Also have the motor oil analyzed and motor inspected by a mechanic.

I bought a 96 C-22 which had a 454 mag carb as the stock power. I was worried about the trim tabs but the boat handled great without using them. I only use them now in trouble waters. I had always heard of the handling of a C-22 but it was a pure joy to drive.

If you live on a lake you might want to go with a 18. The 22 needs a little room to go. Both boats are a joy to drive and own.

RedDog
02-10-2003, 01:49 PM
My 18 is great on the inland lakes I frequent. Sounds like the 22 would be a better fit for your waters. Yes, the cockpits on the 2 are nearlly the same size - small (22) and smaller (18). It would be hard to answer what is the stock power - but safe to assume they have plenty and also safe to assume you will eventually want more :D . There is a big price differential between the 2 models. Change your default days to view messages to unlimited under your profile and then review the Donzis for Sale section of this site to get a feel for the various configurations and typical selling prices.

Good luck!

HyperDonzi
02-10-2003, 03:28 PM
One difference between the 18 and 22's is how deep the cockpit is. The 18 feels like sitting on the deck and the 22 is more inside the boat.

Air 22
02-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Poodle....

18's faster......ok for now ...but look out! :D
Ce ya soon wink

22 makes an all round boating experince easier as to the water conditions may vary depending on your area, abilities and experince. Both are great boats fun either way wink and you can ALWAYS find something to purchase for it!! Not to mention all the great advise/help you will find at this site. Mostly ..you will meet and develope great friends from the DONZI experience :D
Good Luck...and keep asking questions this site will have your answers :p

Mark Albers
02-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Ducati Dude wink

Try a 999 and never worry about sinking

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

HP 600SC
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
18's are faster.............. YEA! :D